Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I hope this series continues to be predominantly about Asipra convincing Sugimoto to eat weird things while bears maul people in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Today is not sugimoto's day.
When has it ever been Sugimoto's day?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

:rip: Thing One.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My guess is that wound of his isn't nearly as bad as it looks.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ultimate Survivor Sugimoto.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Glad the Escape King is getting some fan art love, that dude rules. This one's probably my favorite outta that batch though.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Ishvalans and their circumstances (in FMA) were heavily inspired by the plight of the Ainu people under Imperial Japanese rule.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

This new hunter dude is insanely cool.

Everyone in this series is either cool or silly or both and it's great.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That chapter was gnarly as all get out.

I want a prequel staring Nihei.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

They already shot a horse to death. Not sensing good odds on the dog's survival.

AsukaFan posted:

I haven't read it, but apparently he uses the exact same character design and the name "Nihei" for a hockey coach in his previous manga Supinamarada! :

The author even used Nihei's face for his autograph, so hopefully Noda just loves drawing this dude and will use him in all his mangas forever.
We can only hope.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

What a chapter.

:rip: Nihei you glorious bastard.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

He's Big Boss founding Outer Heaven.
First thing I thought of as well.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njNGDHbX0ss

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's downright criminal that one brawler philanderer guy gets his own cover before our beloved, peaceful, pure-as-the-driven-snow Shiraishi.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The badass animal cruelty quota has already been hit by several other characters by this point.

It'll take more than that to win my heart.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

:rip: Nihei.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's this guy:

One of the missing tattooed criminals. He's super strong and a regular patron of the local brothel. No idea what's up with his forehead though.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Well alright then.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I actually wondered whether or not the reason he left marks on his victims was because he wanted someone to track him down and kill him like his brother.

Guess that answers that question.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

ahiwattamplifier posted:

I'm tired of goofballs
There are only like two characters in this entire series who aren't goofballs.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Flag by: BiG TrUcKs !!! apparently.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I remember seeing that picture out of context myself and wondering when we were gonna learn what its deal was.

Guess that answers that.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Terper posted:

Japanese Big Boss is great.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Henmi's practically a kitten compared to this guy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

In before Shiraishi and a heavily drunk Ushiyama solve this problem all by themselves while Sugimoto and Asirpa have a largely uneventful stay, never realizing how much danger they were in.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

She'll get kidnapped but sleep through the whole thing.

By the time she wakes up Shiraishi will have already rescued her and returned her to her bed.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm mostly speculating here but thus far the narrative has been pretty consistent about Shiraishi being competent and useful only when nobody's around to acknowledge it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ryu defended his master's body against not one but two Hokkaido wolves at the same time.

That's a good dog.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I've been waiting all this time for that one old guy to do something and he didn't disappoint. The greatest swordsman indeed.

Golden Kamui is a surprisingly ambitious little series when you get down to it, juggling so many characters and plot lines and distinctive story elements. More has happened in the six volumes we've read so far than in twice as many volumes in several other series. Even so, none of it feels rushed or cramped or pressed for time. Everything's unfolding in a way that feels right, which is quite impressive considering how jam packed with content it is.

The guy who wrote this has a solid understanding of his craft. Gonna try and check out his hockey manga sometime, and I don't even care about hockey.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

This has probably become my favorite series in active circulation.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

it's up there for sure!
It just delivers on a lot of fronts I enjoy.

It's a historical piece propped up against the backdrop of an era I'm really interested in with a lot of fun cultural notes and asides. It's brutal and unflinching, yet hilarious and sometimes even heartwarming. Its characters are all both incredibly cool and incredibly silly, and the mechinations of the plot enable the author to do pretty much whatever he wants with them. It's well-drawn, well-paced, and excells at playing with its own tone. It's a stir-fry of guiltly pleasures, and if it were available in America I'd already own it all.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That homage is incredible but I'm just glad Shiraishi finally gets a cover.

I'm also glad Edogai made an ear hat for the surviving twin.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Came to the wrong neighborhood, except in reverse.

These dudes are totally dead, every last one of 'em.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Okay this series seems to be on a rhythm of meet an Abashiri dude, brutally murder them after they contribute a plot element. It's getting a tad tired now.
I mean, the whole premise of the series is a race to track down these 24 criminals in order to learn the secret of the gold, so I'm not sure what else you expected. Some die immediately, others hang around for a bit. Lest we forget, Shiraishi, Hijikata, Ushiyama, and Kano are all Abashiri convicts who're still around.

Personally, I'm a fan. It's lets the story meander while still retaining a firm sense of pacing. Every new convict brings our heroes (and villains) a step closer to realizing their goals.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I like how most of Tsurumi's men seem to genuinely love look up to him, and his whole motivation is basically establishing a new country for their sakes. It's a nice change of pace from the kinda bad guy who sends his minions to die and you have to ask why they bother working for him.

I have faith that Koito's commanding officer will notice him some day.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Rangpur posted:

Once again a Japanese author reveals their society's deep-seated neuroses about losing face.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I sincerely hope the anime adaptation for this features everyone dancing over the ED, a la Blood Blockade Battlefront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Dude also gets some more development later, when it's revealed he and his crew were planning on ditching Tsurumi.

I like it when authors don't forget about characters just because they died.