Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'll make a kickstarter to free Caro.

Everyone please donate $50. With this money we can hire a private defense company to break him out of Assad's prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
actually i just meant unbanning caro

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

wait so first he gets banned on somethingawful

then 'just by chance' he is imprisoned by KNOWN ILLUMINATI PUPPET ASSAD

open your eyes

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

wait so first he gets banned on somethingawful

then 'just by chance' he is imprisoned by KNOWN ILLUMINATI PUPPET ASSAD

open your eyes

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

ahaha and the CIA duplicated my post while trying to backtrace it nice one fellas real subtle

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
What's really gonna upset you is when you realize this dudes editor most likely bought him archives to research the story.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Strategic Tea posted:

ahaha and the CIA duplicated my post while trying to backtrace it nice one fellas real subtle

Account Ability: Only one person may use a forum account. Account sharing is a bannable offense, so please keep your password secure.

BAN HE

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Brown Moses posted:

I said there are mines on that border. His whole plan was to crawl across the minefield and stab them with a stick.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 18, 2016

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Somewhere there's an American debt collector who refuses to believe Caro's mother when she tells them Caro's missing in Syria.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
he's really cool

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
somewhere below room temperature, i'd say

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
someone post the :nsa: trigger word list pls I don't have it handy

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

huskarl_marx posted:

crossposted to the other caro thread

caro is a personal hero of mine

goonspeed

same, and same

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

someone post the :nsa: trigger word list pls I don't have it handy

Illmatic

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
This is loving unbelievable. GQ is the last place I'd expect to find goons.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Yes, a corpse in a Syrian prison is more likely a goon than someone in GQ.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
why was this guy moderating a forum for trained military personnel

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
Caro is alive and when he comes back and posts it's going to be pretty cool.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Like a shaman, Caro wandered into the desert to do battle with evil.

No mortal eyes will ever see him again yet he will now live forever in legend.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

quote:

In July 2011, Dawes left for the United States, but by the following month he was back and in the thick of the fighting around the Libyan regime stronghold of Sirte. By now he'd ditched the Joe 90 look and was wearing wraparound Oakley sunglasses. He'd also acquired a sniper rifle - in some of his footage he can be seen firing it and using the zoom on his camera to pick out snipers and direct artillery to enemy positions. A good few locals and some conspiracy theorists online assumed he was a CIA agent, part of some hush-hush, black-ops mission to train the Libyan rebels. But no real spook would have taken so much incriminating footage.

lol

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

quote:

On various occasions he contemplated calling the whole mission off. "I have no f***ing idea how I'm going to get into Syria," he admitted. "Might be time for a strategic withdrawal." But he couldn't back down now; he'd told too many people where he was headed to bail. "No longer have an abort limit," he typed. He knew the risks. "And if I get blown up? No replay."

Truly an amazing man.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Didn't see reference to poster Brown Moses in the article. That would have been the writers best source of Caro info.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Didn't see reference to poster Brown Moses in the article. That would have been the writers best source of Caro info.

honestly that was one of my first thoughts too. i don't think this guy really bothered to research SA beyond the fact that we are all evil jerks

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Based on the article I assumed Eliot Higgins was Brown Moses. Weird that the reporter didn't refer to him by his forum handle, but what can you do?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Did GQ pull the article? it wont load.

E:

Nm it loads and the article recommended after reading it is:

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/a-history-of-anal-sex

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Eliot Higgins is Brown Moses and is quoted quite a bit in the article.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Lolie posted:

Eliot Higgins is Brown Moses and is quoted quite a bit in the article.

ok i suspected that might be the case but wasn't sure. i guess GQs general readership doesn't know or care about the brown moses handle

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

the great deceiver posted:

ok i suspected that might be the case but wasn't sure. i guess GQs general readership doesn't know or care about the brown moses handle

They're too busy reading about the history of anal sex to even care about Caro.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Love how the dude says there's a video of Caro getting onto an AA gun and pretending like he's firing it off, complete with mouthed 'Boom' noises.

Truly a genius.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Rasta_Al posted:

Love how the dude says there's a video of Caro getting onto an AA gun and pretending like he's firing it off, complete with mouthed 'Boom' noises.

Truly a genius.

But he doesnt show us it. That's the biggest crime

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

the great deceiver posted:

The story is about Caro, not Brown Moses, so it's an unnecessary detail. Higgins has moved away from the Brown Moses identity and now uses his own name and Bellingcat.

quote:

There are still plenty of people who say, 'Who is this mysterious Brown Moses and this Bellingcat? Who is funding him?'" His response is to be open about the real Eliot Higgins, retiring the Brown Moses Twitter moniker, and having a Wikipedia entry under his own name.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...st-9983831.html

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
What did brown moses do? Fund terrorists or something like caro?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Microwaves Mom posted:

What did brown moses do? Fund terrorists or something like caro?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliot_Higgins

quote:

Higgins' analyses of Syrian weapons, which began as a hobby out of his home in his spare time, are now frequently cited by the press and human rights groups and have led to questions in parliament.[1] His blog, Brown Moses Blog, began in March 2012 by covering the Syrian conflict. Higgins operates by monitoring over 450 YouTube channels daily looking for images of weapons and tracking when new types appear in the war, where, and with whom.

quote:

Higgins is credited with being among the first to report on the widespread use of improvised barrel bombs by the Syrian government, a phenomenon which has spread to other troubled nations such as Iraq to combat insurgencies and opposition forces.[5][6]

Other aspects of the Syrian conflict uncovered and documented by Higgins include the use of cluster bombs in 2012, which the Syrian government previously denied using; the proliferation of shoulder-launched heat-seeking missiles known as MANPADS; and the proliferation of Croatian-made weapons which was reportedly connected to the United States, a story later picked up by The New York Times.[1] He has also investigated the Syrian regime's use of chemical weapons, including the Ghouta chemical attack in detail.[7][8] Theodore Postol, a professor at MIT, and Richard Lloyd, a former UN weapons inspector, criticised some aspects of Higgins's work.[9]

Higgins used geolocation to publish an estimate of where the James Foley execution video was made outside Raqqa, an Islamic State stronghold in north-central Syria. Higgins used visual markers in stills from the video and his interpretation of satellite images of the terrain around Raqqa.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
So Brown Moses is the anti-caro?

Lots of famous goons itt

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lolie posted:

The story is about Caro, not Brown Moses, so it's an unnecessary detail. Higgins has moved away from the Brown Moses identity and now uses his own name and Bellingcat.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...st-9983831.html

Huh. I expected him to be much browner.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

so he just watches youtube a lot

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ChrisHansen posted:

So Brown Moses is the anti-caro?

Lots of famous goons itt

He is a mod after all.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Goons either become the darkest internet trolls or the brightest beacons of hope. Are we sure lowtax wasn't replaced by a CIA terminator to use the site as a blackbook project?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
He'd met one of those "friends" on somethingawful.com, a comedy website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Parallax Scroll posted:

so he just watches youtube a lot

Replace everything weapons oriented with trains:

quote:

Higgins' analyses of Syrian trains, which began as a hobby out of his home in his spare time, are now frequently cited by the press and train enthusiasts and have led to questions in parliament.[1] His blog, Brown Moses Blog, began in March 2012 by covering the Syrian conflict. Higgins operates by monitoring over 450 YouTube channels daily looking for images of trains and tracking when new types appear on the rails, where, and with whom.

quote:

Higgins is credited with being among the first to report on the widespread use of improvised barrel trains by the Syrian government, a phenomenon which has spread to other troubled nations such as Iraq to combat insurgencies and opposition forces.[5][6]

Other aspects of the Syrian conflict uncovered and documented by Higgins include the use of cluster trains in 2012, which the Syrian government previously denied using; the proliferation of shoulder-launched heat-seeking trains known as MANPADS; and the proliferation of Croatian-made trains which was reportedly connected to the United States, a story later picked up by The New York Times.[1] He has also investigated the Syrian regime's use of chemical trains, including the Ghouta chemical train in detail.[7][8] Theodore Postol, a professor at MIT, and Richard Lloyd, a former UN trains inspector, criticised some aspects of Higgins's work.[9]

Higgins used geolocation to publish an estimate of where the James Foley train video was made outside Raqqa, an Islamic State stronghold in north-central Syria. Higgins used visual markers in stills from the video and his interpretation of satellite images of the terrain around Raqqa.

• Locked thread