Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Homestar Runner posted:

this might be the dumbest article I ever read

lol if you read it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Obligatory Handle posted:

Uh, I don't know if you read the article but it's entirely on the shoulders of the Something Awful forums.

nah not the whole forums just GiP

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i don't really read articles these days, instead i form impressions of them based on the hivethink of other goons, who in turn also did not read the article

Vulture
Aug 7, 2012

Caro is alive and well, and is actively collaborating with the CIA. Posting here was just part of his cover.

I am afraid I can't say much more, except that there are some active SA users with ties to intelligence. Ones with influence. Do you really know why Ralp lost admin privileges?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Vulture posted:

Caro is alive and well, and is actively collaborating with the CIA. Posting here was just part of his cover.

I am afraid I can't say much more, except that there are some active SA users with ties to intelligence. Ones with influence. Do you really know why Ralp lost admin privileges?

loving kids right? It's always loving kid with these admins nowadays.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
https://youtu.be/LLYZ4HgUhuA?t=12

what happened to these guys? Did the enemigas get them or what?

Vulture
Aug 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

loving kids right? It's always loving kid with these admins nowadays.
Remember Aatrek? Annoying Star Trek dweeb, sure. Literal child rapist? I don't think so.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I honestly never expected to see so many words about SA in a GQ article (did not read any of the words not about SA)

and I'm disappointed Vilerat apparently has so small a part in 13 Hours that I had to click the "All cast" link on IMDB to even verify he was in it :mad:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

GQ posted:

A report in the French newspaper Le Figaroin March 2015 suggested that the American and Syrian governments were - in a rare breach of current protocol - in direct negotiation over the fate of an American held in a Syrian prison and that "an emissary representing the US government" had visited the imprisoned journalist. The reporter, citing an unnamed European diplomat, seemed to think that any discussions concerned only Austin Tice, but that may not have been the case. Independently, several confidential sources told me that the prisoner at immediate issue was not Austin Tice but Kevin Dawes.
:unsmith:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I killed him for fun, that's right.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
If Caro is alive will he be unbanned???

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i cant get over this article, i keep trying to read it and i see a small bald man putting up the peace sign while trying to figure out how to hold an ak47

is that paracord on his wrist above his watch? jesus christ

his first quote is 'feels like ewoks beat me up' lmao

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
alright here's the last thing he said during his NPR interview when asked why he was there

DAWES: See the world, experience new things, get in way over my head, but, you know, ultimately survive. Do well here, I think.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

:aatrek:

Lolie posted:

And who is the first?

I'm undecided on that one. Maybe 50 foot ant.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
idk what a "top-secret CIA stud farm" is but it sounds kinky

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

texaholic posted:

https://youtu.be/LLYZ4HgUhuA?t=12

what happened to these guys? Did the enemigas get them or what?

They were shot by their comrades 'cos they would not loving stop saying "homie"

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Kid: A star just fell from the sky.
Laughing Bull: That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior.
Kid: What warrior is it?
Laughing Bull: A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.

Caro can only be killed by another goon with a sword. Any goons join ISIS?

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
dont have time to read whole thread/article, is he dead or not

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

he's banned, which is essentially the same as dead

also he's dead

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Asclepius Hot Rod posted:

That journalist had a reason to be happy. Caro had threatened him and his family repeatedly (if what he reported is true) and Caro had already proven that he was crazy enough to jump head first into a Middle Eastern war zone, it wouldn't, in theory, take much for him to fly to a stable European country in order to confront a perceived enemy.

Caro was (is? if he's alive in a Syrian prison) a really really disturbed young man that should have been committed to a psychiatric facility long before this happened. The quote from his mom is really sad. Sounds like she was an enabler and continues to live in denial WRT her son's mental health.

Honestly that kinda makes me sad about this whole article. I think it was well written but it concludes in a way that kind of glosses over all of his severe mental problems and is like "well he had a lot of heart so that's really what matters!"

The real moral of Caro's story is that

1: don't go overseas to be a journalist unless you absolutely have a bulletproof plan for covering and surviving in those areas. Many conflict reporters, if they aren't tied to a larger agency, have hundreds of contacts in an area and a large support network outside of it to help them.

2: if someone you love is exhibiting the kinds of mental problems Caro was, report them and force them to undergo some kind of psychiatric help.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
also it's worth noting that a lot of combat journalists have military training

naem
May 29, 2011

Mange Mite posted:

they have drugs which will shrink it...
:stare:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Lil Peeler posted:

Honestly that kinda makes me sad about this whole article. I think it was well written but it concludes in a way that kind of glosses over all of his severe mental problems and is like "well he had a lot of heart so that's really what matters!"

The real moral of Caro's story is that

1: don't go overseas to be a journalist unless you absolutely have a bulletproof plan for covering and surviving in those areas. Many conflict reporters, if they aren't tied to a larger agency, have hundreds of contacts in an area and a large support network outside of it to help them.

2: if someone you love is exhibiting the kinds of mental problems Caro was, report them and force them to undergo some kind of psychiatric help.

It's kind of weird that Brown Moses reported Caro to the FBI because he felt threatened by Caro but couldn't be bothered reporting him for a welfare check by local adult protective services when he had a shitload of evidence that Caro was actively psychotic. It wasn't "hey FBI, you might want to stop this guy leaving the country for his own good" but "this guy threatened me and I'm scared he might act on it".

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bit of a bummer for Caro.

Oh well.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

Bit of a bummer for Caro.

Oh well.

its not as if he didnt do his best to earn it

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Since Caro is definitely dead, who is the craziest living goon now? Is Mom still alive?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

we're all gonna laugh in 20 years when he's on C-SPAN as the director of the CIA

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
caro: "i'm going to syria"

goons: "you're loving insane"

caro: "ok now I'm going to syria to prove you wrong!" *gets tortured to death in a syrian prison*

yep this is definitely the fault of goons.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Contra Duck posted:

caro: "i'm going to syria"

goons: "you're loving insane"

caro: "ok now I'm going to syria to prove you wrong!" *gets tortured to death in a syrian prison*

yep this is definitely the fault of goons.

im pretty sure someone triple dog dared him and theres really no escaping that

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
fyi the article doesn't say it was goons' fault

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Big Centipede posted:

Since Caro is definitely dead, who is the craziest living goon now? Is Mom still alive?

we will never know until we get the eventual vice documentary on the maniacal tweaker/meat-klepto

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Microwave's mom was crazy hot.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Gazpacho posted:

fyi the article doesn't say it was goons' fault

i figured not because the world doesnt know what SA is and attributes anything goons do to 4chan or reddit in the rare times that goon actions impact society at all

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Lolie posted:

It's kind of weird that Brown Moses reported Caro to the FBI because he felt threatened by Caro but couldn't be bothered reporting him for a welfare check by local adult protective services when he had a shitload of evidence that Caro was actively psychotic. It wasn't "hey FBI, you might want to stop this guy leaving the country for his own good" but "this guy threatened me and I'm scared he might act on it".
afaik there is no process by which a welfare call on a law abiding and minimally functional person can result in commitment

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 20, 2016

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Lolie posted:

IIRC a bunch of goons tried to figure out if they could call some kind of agency or whatever but nothing came of it probably because his family didn't want to admit he was nuts and most places won't take "there's this guy we know on the internet who's plotting to murder his neighbor because he thinks he's a CIA agent" very seriously.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Gazpacho posted:

afaik there is no process by which a welfare call on a law abiding and minimally functional person can result in commitment

B...but they do it in movies (or some random goons dumb little non-USA country that doesn't apply to Caro).

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

Gazpacho posted:

that is absolutely possible if the officer observers behavior that would lead them to believe that person was in imminent harm to themselves or others

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

rabble rabble posted:

that is absolutely possible if the officer observers behavior that would lead them to believe that person was in imminent harm to themselves or others

in california, where caro apparently resided, it is called a 5150 and it is not uncommon at all. i used to be a social worker before i became a degenerate drug addict and ex-con

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Gazpacho posted:

not in my state, where people routinely have their kids baker acted for getting bad grades or not going to church :smith:

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Snatch Duster posted:

I'll make a kickstarter to free Caro.

Everyone please donate $50. With this money we can hire a private defense company to break him out of Assad's prison.

You can buy him a new pair of pants while your at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

idk what this fuss is about

sounds like he died a True Warrior, in glorious battle. an honorable death

goons are without honor

• Locked thread