Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
im all about donating to lowtax to keep this heap floating but wow i cant believe this restaurant guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
How much do I have to give so your fiancée will love me long time ?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
can you clowns raining on this parade go be clowns elsewhere,

if you dont wanna give this goon money you dont have to, but others can. why does this upset you so much

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

im not donating to your thing, op but the entertainment itt is easily worth 10 bucks. thanks for that

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Zzulu posted:

can you clowns raining on this parade go be clowns elsewhere,

if you dont wanna give this goon money you dont have to, but others can. why does this upset you so much

:supaburn: agghhggghgghg someone asking for money on MY FORUMS :supaburn:

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
It's time to close this thread and slither off OP. This isn't salvageable, save yourself a little dignity and close this thread and let it die. It's only going to get worse from here.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
can I pay you in animes, op

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

4outof5 posted:

It's time to close this thread and slither off OP. This isn't salvageable, save yourself a little dignity and close this thread and let it die. It's only going to get worse from here.

the man is begging for cash on gbs, i dont know if dignity is in the equation

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the bitter goons are just bitter because you're actually changing course in life and trying to follow ur dreams op, while they linger in limbo and are just waiting to die

dont listen to those dingbats

u have my axe

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Blazing Zero posted:

the man is on gbs, i dont know if dignity is in the equation

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

who needs dignity, op? youre a star on the forums right now. enjoy it

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFElnOuzWKw

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

here's a real question for you OP: after the hot dog man fiasco what makes you think this will work

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Mange Mite posted:

lol the guy begging for money calls other people bums

Yeah I've been taking my doubts with a humongous grain of salt but this was just kinda rude. On the other hand, GBS is full of bums

Spanish Manlove posted:

Here's a good article about digital panhandling as it pertains to music. But really substitute the word "band" with "restaurant" or "honeymoon" or "coke habit" and it rings the same.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/12/02/digital-panhandling-embarrassing-dumb/

I'm wont to agree with people about crowdfunding and entitlement but holy poo poo is this rear end in a top hat infuriatingly ignorant. It's like he doesn't realize that band members themselves don't make any money off album sales and record labels are extremely conservative—talent is barely part of the goddamn equation these days because talent doesn't sell records†.

The metal press is notoriously as awful as games journalism, yes, but holy poo poo. The entitlement here is palpable. THE REPAYMENT FOR FANS' INVESTMENT IS A loving ALBUM YOU STUPID oval office. FULL STOP.

Records don't really sell at all but what little is sold is mainly based off marketability or presence in the wider market

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 18, 2016

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I meant the bums comment to be appropriately tongue in cheek

Yknow cuz GBS

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm pretty sure this guy isn't a homophobic racist who can't cook so we're already ahead on this one!

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm pretty sure this guy isn't a homophobic racist who can't cook so we're already ahead on this one!

where will the comedy come from?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Noyemi K posted:

I'm wont to agree with people about crowdfunding and entitlement but holy poo poo is this rear end in a top hat infuriatingly ignorant. It's like he doesn't realize that band members themselves don't make any money off album sales and record labels are extremely conservative—talent is barely part of the goddamn equation these days because talent doesn't sell records.

The metal press is notoriously as awful as games journalism, yes, but holy poo poo. The entitlement here is palpable. THE REPAYMENT FOR FANS' INVESTMENT IS A loving ALBUM YOU STUPID oval office. FULL STOP.

Sergeant D's whole schtick is to be an arrogant schmuck to piss people off while being correct. He even used to write for SA for a while.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
OP did you intentionally not shave your transient beard when you proposed to your girlfriend so she wouldn't suspect?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I didn't want images out there of what appears to be an employed twelve year old proposing marriage in his workplace.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
That might actually have made it more authentically Filipino.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I don't see really much demand for Filipino food anywhere because if you are not Filipino or related to someone who is, nothing the op described makes any sense. Combine that with the whole "changing fusion menu" thing in a highly competitive area of the city where you can't throw a stone without hitting some trendy restaurant kinda makes this seem like a difficult endeavour.

I love lots of Filipino food but it's def something you do home cooked since much of it is peasant food.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

We've had a fair bit of experience getting the uninitiated to realize that Filipino food isn't all that weird.

I'm not standing in a tent screaming at hipsters in Tagalog; people are generally open minded enough to try "a spicy stew with pork and tomato" or "it's like a spring roll. Then we fill it with jerk chicken"

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Dr. Tommy John posted:

Eh, you guys are bums but your feedback is useful and more coherent than you try and make it look

Gotta say man, I'm not as pissed off as a lotta goons here apparently are that you're asking for money but I am a bit confused about why anyone would help you out when there are plenty of actual charities in the world that will help people who need it. It's not like you're doing something even vaguely artistic: you're literally just asking for handouts to start a private business that won't contribute anything in particular to anyone or anything except you and your bank account (actually it'll probably send you to the poor house but never mind that).

Also: why Kensington Market? I can't imagine the rent isthat cheap and its filled with other restaurants.

For anyone who doesn't know Toronto this is like if Doobie was planning to open his Doghouse in downtown Manhattan instead of some rural hellhole. Not only are you giving money to someone who apparently doesn't have a good enough business plan to get a loan, you're also giving money to someone planning to move into an extremely competitive area that's already over saturated with similar restaurants.

That having been said I do love that Churro place so if this scheme of yours inexplicably pans out I'll be seeing you around.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

lol gently caress off OP get a job and save the loving money needed to start a biz like i did and every other non lazy oval office does

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Helsing posted:

Gotta say man, I'm not as pissed off as a lotta goons here apparently are that you're asking for money but I am a bit confused about why anyone would help you out when there are plenty of actual charities in the world that will help people who need it. It's not like you're doing something even vaguely artistic: you're literally just asking for handouts to start a private business that won't contribute anything in particular to anyone or anything except you and your bank account (actually it'll probably send you to the poor house but never mind that).

Also: why Kensington Market? I can't imagine the rent isthat cheap and its filled with other restaurants.

For anyone who doesn't know Toronto this is like if Doobie was planning to open his Doghouse in downtown Manhattan instead of some rural hellhole. Not only are you giving money to someone who apparently doesn't have a good enough business plan to get a loan, you're also giving money to someone planning to move into an extremely competitive area that's already over saturated with similar restaurants.

That having been said I do love that Churro place so if this scheme of yours inexplicably pans out I'll be seeing you around.

Nobody is angry.
Nobody cares enough about the OP to be angry.
He should just gently caress off.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
I won't give you money but I have some free advice: Don't take popular items off the menu, ever. It's the quickest way to alienate your regular customers.

For example, a local restaurateur changed his ramen shop to some kind of family seafood place for like, no reason. Now I won't go to any of his restaurants.
A burger place took my favorite burger off their menu, but you can still ask for it by name. I go there every month.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
You obviously don't even read the site regularly if you thought this had a chance of working

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

satanic splash-back posted:

Nobody is angry.
Nobody cares enough about the OP to be angry.
He should just gently caress off.

This is Something Awful. Half the posters here are angry to be alive. More than half are angry that anyone else is alive.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

That was a really good post thank you.

I am the first person that's going to say that if you are choosing between donating to a worthwhile charity or backing my admittedly self-serving private business that I would rather that money went to the charity. That said, if I'm not mistaken, it sounds like your point of contention is with crowd funding being an option for a private business as opposed to our attempt to use it. I'm not here to debate the merits of crowd funding or the motivations of those who support projects through it. Personally I have backed projects that could have reasonably been funded traditionally by the creators, and that didn't affect my decision nor would I contest anyones right for it to affect theirs. I'm happy to answer questions about our business and our decision to go with crowd funding, though.

Kensington is rather saturated, but we are decidedly street food. Our food is meant to be eaten with one hand while the customer wanders around, our food is in spring rolls or rotis or siopaos that can be eaten while you shop. It's true, there is stiff competition throughout the market, but people do at least come there with the idea that they'll grab some interesting street food instead of sitting down. We could have chosen an area with less competition, but it would have less traffic that was shopping on foot, and if it didn't suffer from that problem we'd have to also fight against the fine dining/new American spots that are in every other hip neighborhood.

As for the continual inference that we were denied by the bank for traditional funding, it's slightly more complicated than that, but I completely understand that running any kind of fundraising is a market indicator and i can't stop anyone from drawing their own conclusions from that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

How's your vent hood situation?

This venture of yours will revitalize the local economy and provide a local youth hangout where underprivileged teens can go to acquire ther first handjob, correct?

Do you have any menu items that could be made to rhyme with frog?

How do you explain your horrible post Christmas timing, which will not allow anyone to cancel their Christmas in order to send you money for nothing? What do you expect me to cancel? Easter? That's a low dollar holiday, friend.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Thankfully we are renting a location with installed hoods.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Sounds like a great idea OP and I for one think this is something that GBS can really get behind! Coincidentally, what do you think about Star Trek?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I have a question. How are you fit to run a business if you can't even be bothered to pick a tag for your begging thread? That's not even business 101 that's posting 101 and you done goofed. You need to take a cold hard look at your financials and abilities, and then make a reasoned decision whether or not to go forward with this. Assume an existing restaurant. Would anyone ever, put you in charge of that restaurant?

Do you know about taxes, health codes or the industry? The flavor of the month is just that. You may think indonesion cuisine is the thing right now, and you may be right, but what happens when "authentic" fusion whatever ethnic cuisine is the next one. Can you weather the storm? Can you retain customers on the basis of whatever is on sale at the markeet that day. I have a market next to my appartment. Everything is on sale every day. You are not even embracing your target hipster market by refusing to buy things hat are on sale but not in season.

YOU. WILL. FAIL.

Do not have idiots online finance your doom. Stay gainfully employed and move on. When it's your money you're pissing away on ARE DREAMS try again, but seriously don't .

You are not going to be the one success story. You will be the latest bead in a long string of failures. Because business is hard, and for every 20 people who try 19 fail, and none of those begged for a leg up online. Are you loving joking?

Finally and most importantly, how do you feel about frogs?

Here is my naysayer opinion: this will crash and burn and you will lose your fiance over it. If you love it don't try to live the American dream. That poo poo is dead and gone.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Dr. Tommy John posted:

We've had a fair bit of experience getting the uninitiated to realize that Filipino food isn't all that weird.

I'm not standing in a tent screaming at hipsters in Tagalog; people are generally open minded enough to try "a spicy stew with pork and tomato" or "it's like a spring roll. Then we fill it with jerk chicken"

Filipino food is far from weird, since it's largely regional variations of food brought from mercantilism and colonization. Which makes it not super easy to market, since there are a million places to eat something similar. People are open minded enough to try it, but pay a premium for it?

There must be a reason that in a region where there is a huge Filipino population, there are so few dining places that offer those foods.

You probably would be better off making some of the foods you said you wouldn't (like poutine and burgers) and making some sort of canadiana hybrids because that would be unique and probably pretty delicious.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
if the OP sets up a kickstarter for him to take some Posting Lessons, i will donate to that

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

whats your opinion on little bitch "graphiti" artists?

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
Do you have any relevant business experience for a venture like this? I'm talking about department head or MBA experience, not some cubicle warrior.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I have seen this exact poo poo so many times, even before kickstarter was a thing. It is not even funny. It is exploatative and it should be stopped, but then again a fool and his money are easily party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Noblesse Obliged posted:

whats your opinion on little bitch "graphiti" artists?

That thankfully that dude got his own place up the street and is gone forever.

I hate yankees posted:

Do you have any relevant business experience for a venture like this? I'm talking about department head or MBA experience, not some cubicle warrior.

No, but we've been lucky to have access to a pretty amazing mentor.

• Locked thread