Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I've said it before in other threads but I guess now is the perfect time/place to talk about why I love Hank Pym. I can basically sum it up with a sentence from Frank Miller (who's talking about Daredevil but this post isn't about Daredevil, plenty of people like him): "It's a wonder he isn't a villain". Hank Pym is the most shat upon character in Marvel Comics and possibly comics as a whole that I can think of.

I mean, he (and Wasp) practically started the loving Avengers instead of letting them all go their separate ways at the end of Avengers #1!

and he beat Loki, which he admits was sheer luck but whatever, a win is a win. So why can't he get any respect? Why am I phrasing this rhetorically I'm on a comic forum not loving Buzzfeed, we all know:

Hank Pym is a wife beater. And that's the end-all be-all of his character. But why? It's been 34 loving years since Avengers #213 came out, if you believe Jim Shooter, the slap was never supposed to happen. You'd think this would fade into obscurity, almost like Avengers 200, as a comic moment that's hosed up and should be forgotten. I mean no writer nowadays seems to remember when Reed Richards hits his wife or children:

(the one with him hitting Franklin is technically a What If so I guess 616 Reed is off the hook for that one)

And no Spider-Man writer is ever going to mention the time Peter hit a pregnant Mary Jane:

but Hank Pym doesn't get a pass. Reading other sites, there is kind of a clear reason why, that being that Ant-Man doesn't really have any defining moments like Reed or Spidey. There's no "great" Ant-Man story as opposed to those other guys, but then there can't be a great one, because every writer since '81 seems to want to write a Hank Pym redemption story. Or, to completely rip off a Mightygodking post
:

quote:

Everyone wants to write the redemption arc, but nobody seems to want to write the post-redemption arcs.

[...]

The point is, the most attractive arc for any potential Ant-Man writer in comics is the redemption arc. It’s the definitive Hank Pym arc in a way that it’s not the definitive Spider-Man arc, and it’s got a lot of power because it’s so archetypal. Which is why Marvel keeps going back to that well, time and time again, despite the fact that his original sin happened well before many of his readers and some of his writers were born. And with every new repetition of the cycle, it becomes more inescapable, because every Hank Pym story becomes about his attacking his wife…which makes him “the character who beat his wife”…which a new writer addresses with another redemption arc…which causes the next writer to feel like they have to address the wife-beating issue before moving on, because he’s such an important character and he’s mostly known for attacking his wife. The only real way off the treadmill is to completely reboot the character in a whole different medium, away from the legacy created by the Avengers storyline so that the next writer won’t know all that history to begin with.

All right though, I've been posting about how Hank Pym's a fuckup for far too long. But here's why I like him: He never gives up. Going back to that "It's a wonder he isn't a villain" quote, it totally applies to Pym. I mean, to start off with, his first wife died before he even put on a suit.

(Hey, Tales to Astonish #44 came out in 1963. Maria Pym, née Troyava: World's first fridging?)

then after he joins the Avengers he starts to feel inadequate compared to his peers. (After all, the other non-slap reason Ant-Man doesn't get respect because he's Ant-Man, and his powers blow if you're uncreative)

then he develops actual schizophrenia and hits Jan and everything goes downhill from there. He develops the world's first AI, which immediately goes rogue and becomes one of the Avengers' greatest foes, and eventually destroys everything until Wolverine comes back in a lovely event and helps Hank kill Ultron.

He has writers make him a laughing stock and people in-universe make sure to mention all his mistakes to his loving face all the time,

and you know what he does?

He puts on his doofy costume and gets back to work superhero-ing. And that, to me, is pretty neat.

edit: oops I posted the same image twice

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread