Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

scuz posted:

You've gotta be making GBS threads me. The W8 drive train just popped up on craigslist, with engine accessories. $400?! You loving betcha. Time to call the bank pops and tell him we've got parts to buy.

That would be an appropriately German engine swap for 1500's RX7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Alarbus posted:

That would be an appropriately German engine swap for 1500's RX7.
Or my future pickup.

:unsmigghh:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Jesus loving Christ buy that thing immediately. That is the first pickup I've seen south of $5k that hasn't been raped to death by rust.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've been pining over that fucker for months. No idea how to make it happen; I've got exactly $3,538.65 left to pay off on the Golf :smithicide: I emailed the guy about a month ago asking whether he'd consider a trade, but haven't heard anything.

Just remembered it's tax season and we're first-time homebuyers. :homebrew:???

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oh, there's this blue one, this cream/brown number, and this mysterious beast alllll on my local craigslist. If I don't get that one (I WANT THAT ONE), there will likely be others when it's time to buy since everyone in Minnesota looks at small pickups as if they were toys and just go buy an F150 instead.

scuz fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 26, 2016

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

scuz posted:

I've been pining over that fucker for months. No idea how to make it happen; I've got exactly $3,538.65 left to pay off on the Golf :smithicide: I emailed the guy about a month ago asking whether he'd consider a trade, but haven't heard anything.

I feel your pain. I'm really trying to moonshot selling this condo and buying a house this year but its looking rough.

Fortunately I haven't financed any of my cars, I just now own three and a gokart that needs an engine rebuild and I only have one parking stall on a bad area of town :smithicide:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
My old middle aged woman coworker drives one these. If you see one in the cities with a whiskey plate, that's her! She was getting kinda up there in high mileage territory though so I kept telling her that she should sell it but I can't blame her for not doing so. Those things are rad and perfect for mn. Too bad its not so perfect for your pocketbook but I learned my vw lesson with a mk3 jetta.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Mk1s are pretty reliable and put up with a ton of abuse. If you source a later JH engine from a Scirocco or cabriolet you're already eliminating most of the headaches you're going to have owning that thing.

Biggest thing with the pickup is the rear drums are 200mm where as every other mk1 is 180mm so sourcing parts for that is going to be a bitch.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

scuz posted:

I noticed on the drive home (~40 or so highway miles) that the steering is a bit clunky, much like the steering was on the Golf before I replaced the tie rod ends and the suspension etc. A small victory: that poo poo isn't any more expensive than the Golf's! Unless I want it to be! I might!

Dang, missed this post somehow. If you've got wiring diagrams or any kind of blow-out schematics for the W8's O2 sensors, I'd love to have 'em! Is the Bentley manual pretty good for the W8 or does it have just like a few pages devoted to it?

Here's the listing page for the W8 engine wiring diagrams, are 9 & 10 what you're looking for? It's the wiring to the sensors rather than the sensors themselves.

If it is, I'll get them scanned for you.

The manual is a beast: like an old phone book, 2 or 3 inches thick. It has all the info for the W8 along side the v6 and the 1.8, and the b5-b5.5 split and all that jazz in it. Admittedly I'm not usually looking for W8 stuff but it seems like it's all in there. It has pretty detailed drawings and photos for maintenance and repair work, too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

scuz posted:

You've gotta be making GBS threads me. The W8 drive train just popped up on craigslist, with engine accessories. $400?! You loving betcha. Time to call the bank pops and tell him we've got parts to buy.

You buy that. You buy that right now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

scuz posted:

You have a BFC thread where you're unable to manage your cash flow to cover your monthly liabilities. Don't spend any money on any cars.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You have a BFC thread where you're unable to manage your cash flow to cover your monthly liabilities. Don't spend any money on any cars.
Yep, this is what keeps me grounded. I won't be using any tax return money for anything besides paying down debt and have abandoned the idea that that truck will be mine. There's the off-chance that it'll be available when I'm ready, but I'm not gonna cry (too much) about it.

bennyfactor posted:

Here's the listing page for the W8 engine wiring diagrams, are 9 & 10 what you're looking for? It's the wiring to the sensors rather than the sensors themselves.

If it is, I'll get them scanned for you.

The manual is a beast: like an old phone book, 2 or 3 inches thick. It has all the info for the W8 along side the v6 and the 1.8, and the b5-b5.5 split and all that jazz in it. Admittedly I'm not usually looking for W8 stuff but it seems like it's all in there. It has pretty detailed drawings and photos for maintenance and repair work, too.
These, please!

scuz fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 26, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

scuz posted:

Yep, this is what keeps me grounded. I won't be using any tax return money for anything besides paying down debt and have abandoned the idea that that truck will be mine. There's the off-chance that it'll be available when I'm ready, but I'm not gonna cry (too much) about it.

:hf: good for you, I know it's tough.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

scuz posted:

These, please!

full-res scans at http://imgur.com/a/1T8N9 for ya. Let me know if you need anything else.

Though, uh, I hope those specialty forums did figure out a way to pull these sensors easily because the manual is not optimistic

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

bennyfactor posted:

full-res scans at http://imgur.com/a/1T8N9 for ya. Let me know if you need anything else.

Though, uh, I hope those specialty forums did figure out a way to pull these sensors easily because the manual is not optimistic

Dude thank you so much for these. I'm pretty confident that my noodle-y, long arms will be able to pull it off! There will obviously be photo updates.

edit: a wire color is loving lilac??

edit again: I miiiiiiight need the scan of the page that shows where all the O2 sensors are so I know what's in my way when I'm trying to get at them. I'm sure I'd be able to figure it out but holy crap having a map would rule.

scuz fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 27, 2016

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
that crappy cell phone pic has about the only diagram that shows both the upstream and downstream sensors (9 and 10) but it's not really clear on the diagram where they, especially the rear one, go. This diagram pretty clearly shows the bungs for the ones upstream of the cat (red arrows)

And I found this image online of the wacky W8 manifold-cat contraption that has both of the sensors on one plugged in, which is about the only thing I've found so far that shows the orientation of the sensor, since in all the diagrams the bunghole (hehehehe) is hidden from view.

Also, I think they just use the word lilac instead of violet or purple. I know there's some wiring loom that I've seen on my car (maybe to the trunk cd player) where the brown cable was almost more of a reddish maroon color, and I could see some people confusing that with "purple" but not "lilac".

fake edit: or maybe it's a translation error, this manual (or maybe partsbase) calls the alternator a generator after all.

actual edit: found a photo online of the rear sensor in context with the drivetrain. Good luck getting to it, blargh

bennyfactor fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 28, 2016

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Take note of how they literally need a whole empty warehouse to work on their W8. :v:

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I like the guy on the left in utter disbelief and the guy on the right already descending into insanity.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The guy in the middle already gave up.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What the gently caress is going on with those uprights?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hah.

Hahahahahahahaha.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA.

pictured: me irl

SITREP:

Commuted in the Asspat today and noticed some clunking as I was going over bumps and through potholes and over children. Got it home, jacked 'er up real good, aaaaaaaaand:

^both of those photos are upside down, loving imgur...

My favorite quote came to mind. "It's totally loving hosed, mate," I said to my empty garage. "Big time." This fucker's on the block for a while. I pulled the positive terminal off the battery and decided to see whether I could get at the O2 sensors.

I. There's. WHAT WAS THE DOOFY FUCKER SMOKING there's no way I can get to anything through that. I checked under the vehicle. Nothing. I couldn't even get the car far enough off the ground to remove the under body nonsense shielding and whatever. Whatever. Let's just move on. The other code that it threw was the thermostat. LET'S GO THERE. Through a zillion tubes and connecting whatevers and hoses and and and here we're here thank god

Jesus that's grimy, and not even in an orderly way. Two of the intakes are in decent shape, the rest are poo-coated.

Second one is a fun photo of the valves on side-by-side cylinders so you can see how off-set they are. ENGINEERING.

Got the intake runner (?!?! idk) off:

Found the thermostat!

Right? Maybe? Ugh. Got cold out and I'm tired and trying to get info from pops on whether he used the correct-but-no-longer-available thermostat. A tug on the wires let me know that they're tuggable and an inspection of the contacts brought no answers.

Until next time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:psyduck: goddammit VAG.

I'd call that an intake manifold.

Also every single one of those connectors under there will shatter if you so much as breathe on them so take care.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
There's a reason that getting only as far as that took like an hour and a half. The reason is "NLA."

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

That's really depressing. Buddy of mine sold his formerly cheap as hell bulletproof Saturn for the same reason. First time it broke down in years, can't buy the part, gotta scavenge.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

scuz posted:

There's a reason that getting only as far as that took like an hour and a half. The reason is "NLA."

That's why that extra motor for $400 is a goddamned steal. All it takes is a part or two to break before it's paid for itself, especially looking at the corrosion levels you're dealing with.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

That's really depressing. Buddy of mine sold his formerly cheap as hell bulletproof Saturn for the same reason. First time it broke down in years, can't buy the part, gotta scavenge.

My work bought the last plastic dohc valve cover for Saturn's in Illinois. And if it wasn't a hospital vehicle it would have been going to the junkyard. And every one of those valve covers all leaked all of them did. And to stay on topic the W8 had the same motor as the phaeton and a8 right? If so I'm sorry.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pops put the kibosh on buying the drive train. It's fine. That's fine. If this project were My Project it would be a no-brainer. But it isn't. So we move on. A minor salve is that the suspension parts on that motor + drive train are likely just as worn and borderline useless as the junk that's on the Passat already. Move on, darn it :smith:

Good news is that that CV joint, if it's even completely gakked, is not very expensive and is widely available. Same with that tie rod. Small victories. Still up a creek with that thermostat since I'm not even sure what I'm looking for once/if I extract it.

Other good news is that I've heard a few other folks getting at those O2 sensors without dropping the engine considering I'm hoist-less at the moment.

Bad news is that the serpentine belt looks like beef jerky. That Bentley manual is looking tastier by the moment.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Get the Bentley, they are without a doubt the best manuals out there and often better than alot of factory service manuals I've seen. My only issue with them has been their wiring diagrams, and its pretty much "this could be organized better".

Also regarding the thermostat. See if you can cross reference the VAG part number and pull something from Bosch or maybe an Audi. You're working with the king of parts bin engineering I'd be shocked if that thermostat didn't turn up somewhere else.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

This will likely be one of the slowest vehicles you will ever experience in your entire life.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

charliemonster42 posted:

This will likely be one of the slowest vehicles you will ever experience in your entire life.
Oh, that engine wouldn't stay in it forever. Oh no. No no no no. Top Tier Choice would be finding a reasonable, non-W8 engine mated to a manual 4motion system but that's gonna be impossible to track down.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

scuz posted:

Oh, that engine wouldn't stay in it forever. Oh no. No no no no. Top Tier Choice would be finding a reasonable, non-W8 engine mated to a manual 4motion system but that's gonna be impossible to track down.

How about a V8... like the rest of us losers :v:

Or if your feeling saucy, find a strait 8 out of a Buick.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How about a V8... like the rest of us losers :v:

Or if your feeling saucy, find a strait 8 out of a Buick.
It's been well established, hopefully, that I have a naive/masochistic streak, so I'm gonna try to keep whatever VW project as VW as it can possibly be. Ideally I'd like a RWD Caddy but VW hates RWD, so the 4motion will have to do I guess. Finding one in a manual is gonna be the worst thing to track down though. In any case this is all so far down the line it's absurd. I gotta get this garbage fixed and sold pronto so I can get my Golf back up to 100%.

Speaking of the Golf, the Passat honeymoon is officially over. Puttering around in the Golf on the way to work reminded me that simple = better.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

scuz posted:

Go for the gold.

Drivetrain out of an Audi 5000 Turbo Quattro.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

scuz posted:

Oh, there's this blue one, this cream/brown number, and this mysterious beast alllll on my local craigslist. If I don't get that one (I WANT THAT ONE), there will likely be others when it's time to buy since everyone in Minnesota looks at small pickups as if they were toys and just go buy an F150 instead.

I could make it easier for you by coming over there and buying one of those VWutes. It would be the perfect little truck for errands and taking my JS550 to the water and back. I don't know dick about them though. For example, I had no idea they were FWD (WTF VW) until 2 minutes ago. I also can't believe those things aren't rustmobiles, whether they were driven in winter or not.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Those things are basically Rabbits underneath. Which is why you should question scuz's sanity in thinking about trying to convert it to RWD.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Please Buy The Caddys. All of em.

I blame my sanity on someone telling me to watch Project Binky.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

1500quidporsche posted:

Those things are basically Rabbits underneath. Which is why you should question scuz's sanity in thinking about trying to convert it to RWD.

With a welder, grinder, plasma cutter, and a torch, anything can be RWD

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

With a welder, grinder, plasma cutter, and a torch, anything can be RWD

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Actually, this is what you need to do.

If you haven't watched this road kill episode, you need to do so. (obviously not a mazda)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thought about it. "Running 10s" would be nice but occupying the bed of the truck with the engine would just kill me since I like hauling things around too much.

• Locked thread