Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Bolted the transmission pan back up, poured 2 quarts (:lol:) of fluid into it, and idled it 3 blocks down the road to this place that has shop cats and a great rep around town. Told him what happened and how and he agrees with the consensus here that it's the input shaft seal, so we'll see. He'll send pictures of what's going on, which is fun for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

scuz posted:

Bolted the transmission pan back up, poured 2 quarts (:lol:) of fluid into it, and idled it 3 blocks down the road to this place that has shop cats and a great rep around town. Told him what happened and how and he agrees with the consensus here that it's the input shaft seal, so we'll see. He'll send pictures of what's going on, which is fun for me.

Dude, that shop looks awesome. Fixed pricing, cats, and an awesome logo! I love their descriptions of their former loaner cars currently for sale.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

Dude, that shop looks awesome. Fixed pricing, cats, and an awesome logo! I love their descriptions of their former loaner cars currently for sale.
They're constantly hiring cuz they have so much business and they've been highly reviewed by nearly everyone that's been there. Still haven't heard back from them but they had a lot going on when I got there just at 8AM. Their waiting room is great, too; tons of videos and the like.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

sharkytm posted:

I'd buy a car from that guy.

That shop is awesome, I wish I could find one around here that is that good.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

scuz posted:

My dipstick reading skills are now suspect.

You're checking it with engine running and transmission warm (and after shifting through the gears real quick), right? A trans that empty can look full on the dipstick if the engine isn't running.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That website alone makes me want to take my car to them for stuff I don't want to do, and those are some downright good prices.

Brake system flush for $30? gently caress doing it myself at that price. And it's something I've been meaning to do for the nearly 4 years that I've owned my car

quote:

Are there payment plans available?

Yes. You can pay some up front when you drop off the car then you can pay the rest when you pick up the car.

Honesty at its finest. :allears:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

quote:

Diagnostics (super skills) $60
:lol:
I wish I lived near a shop like this. I'd give them all my business because why the gently caress not? Their pricing is super-fair, they obviously have a sense of humor, and CATS!
$434 for the "Full Deal" is a really good value on a newly-acquired used car, or for mom's car that she's ignored for a long time.

Grumble, I have nothing but lovely options here...

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Y'all should move here, we're real nice people :buddy:

RIP Paul Walker posted:

You're checking it with engine running and transmission warm (and after shifting through the gears real quick), right? A trans that empty can look full on the dipstick if the engine isn't running.
I was at least checking it while it was running and warm, I wasn't aware of the shifting-through-the-gears bit, though. Oh well, I'm thinking that if I HAD dumped a bunch of ATF in there that it would have alllll leaked out when this happened anyway.

Anyhoo, the shop came back with $722.49 all-in to replace the "Oil Pump Seal" in the transmission, so we're telling them to go for it. They recommended a full rebuild for $2,200 which comes with a two year warranty, but we only paid $2k for the van in the first place so v:shobon:v

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

scuz posted:

Y'all should move here, we're real nice people :buddy:

This is true. Turbo Tim's isn't even the only good shop around either!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

SCA Enthusiast posted:

This is true. Turbo Tim's isn't even the only good shop around either!
Sterling Auto is just down the street and will use the poo poo out of the parts that you bought and couldn't get to install yourself. Buddy of mine just got outta there for ~$500 and he got his timing belt/water pump replaced. Another guy got a full exhaust job done on his Golf for $700 and everything's awesome.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

That's awesome. I like Lloyd's Automotive too. A little pricey but they won't get you to do more than you need and will do what they ask you if you prove you know what you're talking about. (I did this by convincing them that yes, the SAAB stereo needs to be remarried to the ecu using tech2. They didn't believe me until they sent out a tech to try it.)

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

scuz posted:

I wasn't aware of the shifting-through-the-gears bit, though.

Super minor difference, it's just been mentioned in some of the instructions I've read.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Still waiting to hear from the shop; gonna stop by this evening on my way home from work, but in the meantime, bad idea, or BAD idea?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Yes.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

scuz posted:

Still waiting to hear from the shop; gonna stop by this evening on my way home from work, but in the meantime, bad idea, or BAD idea?

I was going to joke about doing a W8 conversion but really an LS3 would probably be the more sane choice. Would probably take all three of those puppies bunnies to get one working vehicle but :unsmigghh:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
LudwEgg Van EggtoVAN is 5-by-5 again! Shifts wonderfully, runs really well, just survived our 2,339-mile tour and thanks to SouthsideSaint the rear brakes won't fail in a catastrophic fashion! :buddy::hf::buddy:

In FLOG news, SSS reminded of a DIY 2" lift kit that was pieced together by some dude on the forums over at tdiclub.com and I'm 100% absolutely doing that, perhaps sometime this weekend. I'll run it on its not-too-big tires for now, but a couple of pay days from now and I'll be able to afford some big knobby fuckers so that I can do oil changes without having to put the car on ramps :parrot:

Ultimate Mango posted:

I was going to joke about doing a W8 conversion but really an LS3 would probably be the more sane choice. Would probably take all three of those puppies bunnies to get one working vehicle but :unsmigghh:
We do not joke about W8 swaps :colbert:

Oh! And I have an interview at Turbo Tim's tonight with Turbo Tim himself! Wahoo extra money :homebrew: <--we need a rewind version of that

scuz fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 25, 2016

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
The girlfriend is out of town all weekend so it's time to WORK! ON! CARS!

Checklist:
  • Lift the fuckin Golf*
  • Put new piston rings on Golf
*The DIY 2" lift kit makes me a bit worried about downward travel in the struts (shocks will be fine). I'm attempting to fabricate some kind of extender for the top threaded portion of the struts so as not to gently caress with their available travel. My plan, so far, is to use a coupling nut and a short threaded rod held together with the red LockTite if I'm able to find the hardware in the appropriate hardness ratings. Or stainless. Better go with stainless.

Piston rings shouldn't be as difficult as I had previously thought. My old plan was to remove the engine and do a keep-the-pistons rebuild of the thing, but dropping the oil pan, popping the head, and removing the bearing caps is much easier. The car in 100% working order (which it's not) in KBB is $900 so it's gonna be mine for a while so it better keep running.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I would not extend the struts that way. First of all, you probably won't find hardware of the right strength, second, it may gently caress with how the bumpstop works out and result in you ramming the coupling nuts into the strut seals and/or the strut pistons into the bottom of the struts, neither of which is very good for them. Second, the strut shaft is the only thing that keeps your front wheels vertical and at the appropriate camber, if it comes loose or breaks for any reason, calling the failure catastrophic is being generous.

What's your plan on getting the new rings to seat? Rehoning the bores and hopefully cleaning the debris off the crank, bores, and crankcase area, or just slam new rings in and cross your fingers they seat without any assistance?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks for chiming in. The DIY guide posted seems to be the least un-safe way to lift the thing and since I don't plan on doing any off-roading in this bad boy, I think losing a bit of travel won't be catastrophic. I'm mostly doing this cuz a.) it looks loving awesome, 2.) snow is a few months away and I'd like to get the bugs worked out beforehand, and iii.) the maniacs around here have run me off the road a few times and being able to shrug at curbs is super fun.

As far as seating, I've never done anything like this before, so I didn't really have a plan. If I had to clean a whole bunch of build-up out of the cylinders, I suppose I'd hone out the cylinders after covering up the crankshaft as best I can, clean stuff up a bunch, re-oil and install everything, goose the sucker at high-ish revs for a half hour drive or so, then change the oil again.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've been agonizing over this for days, but I'm pretty sure the size I'm going with for the new tires will be 215/75/15. That'll give me an additional 1.8" of lift, is only .8" wider than the tires I have now, and that'll keep me from having to trim so much off of the body that I start cutting floorboards. I plan on cutting SOME of the body off, but not all of it. I've also amended my to-do list this weekend to simply lifting the car. I'll have to schedule some other time to pop the pistons outta this bad boy, and having it ~3" higher off the ground than it currently is will certainly help that.

Got an email from Turbo Tim today saying that he hadn't forgotten about me! That's nice to know. He said that once it gets colder he'll get me in the garage and start fixing some cars so it sounds like I'm in!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's the same size my F-150 came with. :stare:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
:pervert: It's gonna be great. Measured clearances all around the tires last night and the 215/75/15 size will fit with just a smidgen of wiggle room.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

scuz posted:

:pervert: It's gonna be great. Measured clearances all around the tires last night and the 215/75/15 size will fit with just a smidgen of wiggle room.

Post some pics man! I can't wait to see. But those are pretty dang big tires (I have 235/75/15 on our Explorer)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Haha, once I have pics worth posting, I'll throw em up. My IT boss said he's gonna come help out with the lift, so awaaaay we go!

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

scuz posted:

215/75/15

:rip: scuz's power steering pump

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone talk me out of these: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/wto/5761184070.html Nexen seems to get decent reviews, never heard of them, but when they were new they had the 40k-mile warranty. Eden Prairie is a sort of affluent suburb so I'm thinking someone bought these for their F-150 or something and decided they didn't like em?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

scuz posted:

Someone talk me out of these: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/wto/5761184070.html Nexen seems to get decent reviews, never heard of them, but when they were new they had the 40k-mile warranty. Eden Prairie is a sort of affluent suburb so I'm thinking someone bought these for their F-150 or something and decided they didn't like em?

I mean that is a cheap set of tires if the tread is really 10/32 but you can get a new set for $100 more in a different brand probably

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

everdave posted:

I mean that is a cheap set of tires if the tread is really 10/32 but you can get a new set for $100 more in a different brand probably

Exactly this. That's not a great price for some off brand China tire. They also have some weird camber wear. 300 will get you some ok new tires.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

scuz posted:

You're taking tire/wheel uptravel into account here, right? Ride height and where the tire goes at full-bump are gonna be pretty different, and that's a lot of tire for a passenger car...

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

everdave posted:

SouthsideSaint posted:

Exactly this. That's not a great price for some off brand China tire. They also have some weird camber wear. 300 will get you some ok new tires.
10-4! Moving on, perhaps to these since I at least recognize "Hankook" and can afford them. I'd sure love to get some BFG all-terrains on there but :homebrew:

kastein posted:

You're taking tire/wheel uptravel into account here, right? Ride height and where the tire goes at full-bump are gonna be pretty different, and that's a lot of tire for a passenger car...
Yep, these oughta fit. If they start rubbing on the fenders for any reason (I honestly don't think they will), then I can trim the fenders back like I was planning on in the first place and slap some flares/guards/whatever-ya-call-ems on there.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

kastein posted:

I had a 86 Blazer with tires that filled it out really nice after a 2 inch lift but they would rub if you were turning and going through a dip

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Guys, I did stuff and it was awesome:

Turns out it's not easy to get your hands on 4"-to-2" hex bushings so I didn't do any lifting of the rear, but also turns out that the rear and front are sitting level :psyduck:

Front:

Rear:

Weird! But fine. It's fine. Was planning on building the flat bed but not without lifting the rear since it'll definitely lose some height once more weight gets added back there. If the rear seat were still in the back this would probably look different.

I've done 3 full suspension jobs on VWs and never had an impact driver. This time, my boss came over and loaned me his and holy poo poo is SO MUCH EASIER. IT'S SO EASY. HOLY poo poo. I fixed up my air compressor so next purchase for me is absolutely an impact driver. Oh my god, it's life-changing. It's like cheating, it's so easy. The HF thunderblergber is still the best cheap one, right?

Not-so-good news is the sway bar is currently out of commission since one of the bolts lost its starting threads :argh: I disconnected the other side cuz I thought "oh no reasons" but that just made the sway bar rest on the drive shafts and make an awful grinding noise as I drove around! I put the other bolt back in so at least it's off of the drive shafts but I'll still need another one. This seems kinda spendy for one non-critical bolt so I'm gonna keep lookin' around. Next step: lifting the rear and building my flatbed!

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Looks like you are using a close nipple - any reason you didn't just use a small length of pipe (you'd have to cut it square etc of course)? There shouldn't be a reason why you need the threads, right? Were you just worried about the length?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Timmy Cruise posted:

Looks like you are using a close nipple - any reason you didn't just use a small length of pipe (you'd have to cut it square etc of course)? There shouldn't be a reason why you need the threads, right? Were you just worried about the length?
Huh, never even thought of that. This way worked out great though, so I'm gonna stick with it unless it starts doing something stupid. I'm gonna be getting me a set of these strut mounts at some point, and when that happens, I'll probably hit the close nipple with some Rustoleum or something just to keep me from worrying about that.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Dude I wish you nothing but the best and fully support this true AI but those tires gonna rub man

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have an angle grinder! :jiggled:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

scuz posted:

I have an angle grinder! :jiggled:

Godspeed!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Just take the bolt to somewhere that sells metric fasteners and find a good match.

I think the last time I did an Audi product of the same era it was M8x1.25.

You could always try "order a bunch of poo poo from belmetric and see what fits," which is a method I've used in the past that at the very least results in my spare parts bolt bin getting filled with future rear end-savers.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'll just pop by a hardware store on my way home from work, that seems like it'll be okay. The store where I used to work has M8x1.25 in stock so they'll at least have something similar in size.

While re-inserting the driver's side bolt on the sway bar link and cursing myself upon observing the damage done to the half-shaft I smelled oil in the air below the engine. Perhaps I should bump up the piston re-ringing time table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I like where this is going.

• Locked thread