Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
I visited Scotland for one week last May and we ended up splitting our time between Edinburgh and Isle of Skye because that's what our priorities were... That's ultimately what you need to decide, what do you really want to see? What are you most interested in? We decided ours was a good split between city/nature and allowed us multiple days in each location to really explore the areas in depth.

In Edinburgh, I would say Arthur's Seat was a major highlight for me because I love nature and you can view the whole city from the top! Good hike, amazing views.

As for Isle of Skye, that was a huge bucket list item for me and once you visit the Quiraing, you will understand why... It literally feels like you're in another world, and was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been! Very surreal. I really hope if you go to Skye that you don't skip it because it was easily my favorite day in Scotland.

We also drove to Neist point, which was very memorable due to the weather! The drive is a very curvy single lane road and it was pea soup the whole time, a cloud literally sat over Skye the entire day. At first I was really disappointed that we couldn't see the point, but later realized the spooky fog hanging over the huge green cliffs was actually pretty amazing... The weather will definitely not always be on your side, but can also present you with unique opportunities to see things in a different way. Plus, there's something very satisfying about coming in from the wind/rain and having a warm cup of tea. Speaking of food, if you happen to see Cullen Skink listed on a menu anywhere, just order it! Its a deliciously creamy bowl of smoked haddock and potatoes, I had it twice on Skye! I'm sure any of the smoked fish there will be amazing...The B&B we stayed at made smoked salmon and eggs for breakfast along with fresh soda bread. I tried to duplicate this when we came home and it was not even close... Enjoy it and soak it up while you're there!

I apologize for this babbling post... Scotland is gorgeous and while there is so much to see and do, don't feel like you have to see everything the first time. However, if that's your preferred travel style, then go for it! Even driving through the highlands is an experience, I'm sure you will enjoy it whatever you decide. :-) Good Luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

taco show posted:

Bump! I'm flying into Edinburgh (probably, but this is flexible- entering the UK at LHR) and I want to head to Skye for a couple of days in late May before heading back to Edinburgh to meet with friends when they arrive.

How should I get to Skye and also around on the island when I'm there? I'm open to driving but it makes me very nervous as I'm from the US and I also don't drive stick. I saw that there was a train?

Alternately, I was thinking maybe a guided tour- there's a few that leave from Edinburgh. I'd prefer to make my own itinerary, though.

I'm a woman traveling alone if this makes a huge difference. Any advice is appreciated.

Honestly, having a car on Skye is pretty necessary... There is a bus service I believe, and we looked into to it but it seemed very limited?

I know there was a tour company in Edinburgh called Rabbies that did 3 day tours that seemed very popular (we saw the buses all over Skye). So that might be your best option if you're not keen on driving there... Either way, you're going to have an amazing experience! It's out of this world beautiful :) Oh yeah, go to the Edinbane Inn and have the Cullen Skink!

P.S. We were able to rent an automatic at Edinburgh airport, plus driving through the highlands is magic!

liz fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 25, 2017

• Locked thread