Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

this show owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I'm listening to the season podcast with Mother's Basement, and does the annoying red hair character actually let slip that he was a girl in real life in his dialogue somewhere?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

pandaK posted:

I'm listening to the season podcast with Mother's Basement, and does the annoying red hair character actually let slip that he was a girl in real life in his dialogue somewhere?

Not to my knowledge. This show has nothing to do with mmo's, so what would 'real life' even mean?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Kild posted:

this show owns

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
We sure went full slice of life this episode, which means some poo poo will probably go down next time.

If I had to pick one thing that I think sticks out over other shows, it's the voice direction. Not quite sure how to best describe it, but it adds a lot.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

In general everything in this show is not only well made, but also fits well together. It's like the creators put actual thought into all their decisions.

The animation has not only tons of detail, but those details also help to chracterize the characters. The voice acting is more natural and you get the feeling that the VA's have a clear and specific picture of the emotional states of their characters. The world is also has well researched detail that isn't put there just for it's own sake but with a purpose. The cooking scenes are a good example in my opinion.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

For some reason Ranta's inexperience line at the start got me much harder than it should have.

The animation is great and I'm glad it is because it's all being put into having purpose, not merely having more frames. Everybody has a ton of character in their movement as a result.

I appreciated the adventuring montage, and showing how they're improving. The combination attacks were pretty cool. The line at the end about adjusting to the world was definitely the theme of this episode.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

motherfucker so poor he had to buy used underwear

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I'm starting to hate watching this show, because the careful direction brings the viewer so close to the characters, that I spend the entire episode doing nothing but fear for their safety. :(

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Waiting for Manato to start embezzling from the party to buy more gifts for the mage, then justify it by saying the party could not survive without him.

Healer entitlement. :argh:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
This show is pretty good when it's about rookie adventurers trying to make their way in the world.

Much less so when it's about horny teenagers desperately attempting to glimpse a titty.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Nipponophile posted:

This show is pretty good when it's about rookie adventurers trying to make their way in the world.

Much less so when it's about horny teenagers desperately attempting to glimpse a titty.

I think it carries a bit more weight in this show, though. Usually peeking is where it ends, but like Ranta said, there are no cops in this world. And they're all completely dependent on each other for survival. The girls are extremely exposed in this situation, and that's another thing making me uneasy.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
livin' large

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, I get that none of these kids seem to come from especially happy places, but Shihoru's implied backstory is just getting darker by the episode.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I really like the focus on being lovely, poor as hell newbies. Feels like Etryan Odyssey: The Anime.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Whelp

Calling it - nice cleric leader dude is gonna die next episode

Not that that there aren't death flags hanging over pretty much everyone... I'm not sure if this is the kind of show that kills of characters, but it sure feels like that so far.

That said, I enjoyed our intrepid heroes' grand quest for new underwear

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
Well, slightly used underwear. Mostly new!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

As long as they washed it first.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Torquemadras posted:

Whelp

Calling it - nice cleric leader dude is gonna die next episode

Not that that there aren't death flags hanging over pretty much everyone... I'm not sure if this is the kind of show that kills of characters, but it sure feels like that so far.

Man that dude has the biggest goddamn death flag on him and has had since the first ep, I almost expect it to be a red herring. Nah, he's probably dead as gently caress.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Someone make a webm or video or whatever with the Zelda "you got an item!" music when he holds up his new underpants.
tia

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Also, I think Archer likes Mage, but she likes Cleric...who truly does seem doomed. I hope we're wrong about that because healing is important, plus he's really level headed. :ohdear:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

the yuri ship does not sail

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

cleric is going to die and then she will come running to archer

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

cleric is going to die and then she will come running to archer

an acceptable loss

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
What's with hunter's vocabulary falling apart?

Where did this come from, an LN? I have a bad feeling that ten eps from now there's going to be scenes of hunter "in real life" in a hospital, maybe dark knight is in jail, and they all play this game to escape their terrible lives.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Agronox posted:

What's with hunter's vocabulary falling apart?

Where did this come from, an LN? I have a bad feeling that ten eps from now there's going to be scenes of hunter "in real life" in a hospital, maybe dark knight is in jail, and they all play this game to escape their terrible lives.

why do you think they are trapped in a MMO world?

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

why do you think they are trapped in a MMO world?

Because people have got it into their heads that we're flooded with trapped-in-an-MMO anime and thus according to popular trends/copycatting, it couldn't possibly be anything else, despite the fact that we only have exactly four of those shows total. SAO, Log Horizon, Overlord, and .hack//sign, plus its OVAs I guess. And Sign is from 2003.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Rather than generic MMO world it feels like this place has some kind of Haibane Renmei like thing is going on to me. I think it's the dreamy watercolour backgrounds plus how melancholic the protagonist party is... Super shy mage girl in particular. :(

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

The setting so far is very DnD classic fantasy, with obvious JRPG influences, there's nothing MMO about it anyway.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Reds posted:

Because people have got it into their heads that we're flooded with trapped-in-an-MMO anime and thus according to popular trends/copycatting, it couldn't possibly be anything else, despite the fact that we only have exactly four of those shows total.

How about the various references to things in the "real world" that the characters can't figure out?

"What's a game?"
"I know where I come from the moon isn't red."
"Police don't exist here."

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
oh poo poo is healer dude really going to die

and right when i was about to ship him and the thief guy

i truly have lost all ability to ship straight couples

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Agronox posted:

How about the various references to things in the "real world" that the characters can't figure out?

"What's a game?"
"I know where I come from the moon isn't red."
"Police don't exist here."

"trapped in another world" and amnesia plots are older than time itself. It doesn't automatically equal literal game world.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Reds posted:

"trapped in another world" and amnesia plots are older than time itself. It doesn't automatically equal literal game world.

On the other hand, this setting is littered with game elements and the author literally provided a list of the games that inspired the story.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Reds posted:

But it will here.

(Though I suppose it's not really worth arguing about since we'll find out soon enough anyway.)

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

i don't get worrying about ways this show could gently caress up and get worse

just enjoy the ride for now and don't be so pessimistic

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/Nhadmla.gifv

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Erg posted:

just enjoy the ride for now and don't be so pessimistic

You're right.