Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Spoeank posted:

Top 10 RB for sure, but not a top 10 pick. I'd take the elite WR and Gronk before Rawls.

For fun, I tried to list the top 10 RB's at this point. Here is what I came up with in no particular order.

1. Le'Veon Bell
2. Adrian Peterson
3. Devonta Freeman
4. Todd Gurley
5. Doug Martin
6. Lamar Miller
7. Thomas Rawls
8. Jamaal Charles
9. Mark Ingram
10. Matt Forte

When you get down to the 10th RB or so, there are a few who could move up depending on their situation.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Wait, is that a "ranking" or is that "the top 10 in no particular order"?

Either way I am totally sold on Dion Lewis and Thomas Rawls and will probably be avoiding Freeman.

Of the vets I like JCharles, probably more than AP at this point.

Just give me all the ACL rehab dudes. Jordy, Benjamin, Flacco. The all-ACL team is gonna own next year.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Forever_Peace posted:

Either way I am totally sold on Dion Lewis and Thomas Rawls and will probably be avoiding Freeman.

Just give me all the ACL rehab dudes. Jordy, Benjamin, Flacco. The all-ACL team is gonna own next year.

It isn't in any order even though it kinda looks like it starts that way. Dion Lewis was definitely one of those guys coming in at the end along with Chris Ivory and Lesean McCoy. I see Lewis going in the late 3rd this year and maybe even higher in PPR leagues since he is such a dynamic pass-catcher.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I thought a fun thing to do would be to post our drafts from last year and discuss what we did right/wrong.

I probably reached a bit on Miller in the second but was able to get Ingram in the 3rd which gave me a solid RB stable. I really whiffed on my receivers after AB84 though, Tate and Adams yuck. I feel like other than my receivers, I had a great draft.

My strategy next year is going to be to take more risks on younger players late in the draft. I settled for some veterans that were known entities with little upside and those rounds really aren't for playing it safe.

The real mistake I made was swooping Doug Martin in the draft right before my fiancee after she casually mentioned "Oh hey Doug Martin is still available, maybe I'll give him another chance this year." Still paying for that one...

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 22, 2016

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

MrSargent posted:

My strategy next year is going to be to take more risks on younger players late in the draft. I settled for some veterans that were known entities with little upside and those rounds really aren't for playing it safe.

I think this is a great point. I'm phone posting right now, but I think there are some really good reasons why this the case and in some ways it ties in with how you end up working waivers during the season. Hopefully I will remember to flesh this thought out in the morning.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Forever_Peace posted:

I'm worried about Charles workload next year tbh. His workload had been steadily declining each year since 2012 and with the emergence of Ware and West partnered with the fact that Charles is getting up there in age coming off another ACL injury.

Other than that, i will also probably be avoiding Freeman next year unless i can get him at great value which won't happen.

What are peoples thoughts on Keenan Allen next year in a PPR league? He was a phenomenal bargain this year for me before he got injured and i think was on pace for an insane amount of catches. With Antonio Gates sure to slow down a bit eventually, would you guys take him in the top 3 rounds?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I think with Forte it really depends on where he ends up. He's clearly got something left in the tank despite his age, but the wrong situation could have him outside the top 10. Shoot, even if he's back with the bears, I'm not sure the Forte/Langford split leaves him at the top next year.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

VietCampo posted:

I'm worried about Charles workload next year tbh. His workload had been steadily declining each year since 2012 and with the emergence of Ware and West partnered with the fact that Charles is getting up there in age coming off another ACL injury.

Other than that, i will also probably be avoiding Freeman next year unless i can get him at great value which won't happen.

What are peoples thoughts on Keenan Allen next year in a PPR league? He was a phenomenal bargain this year for me before he got injured and i think was on pace for an insane amount of catches. With Antonio Gates sure to slow down a bit eventually, would you guys take him in the top 3 rounds?

I was down on Charles this year due to injury concerns and I'll be down on him this next year for the same reason.

As for Allen I would grab him in the mid-high 2nd and anywhere in the 3rd. He's a top tier WR1 when he's healthy, and this next year I plan on going hard on WRs in the early rounds since RBs screwed me this year (which is a terrible line of thinking, really... maybe my bitterness will wear off by August).

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Amergin posted:

I was down on Charles this year due to injury concerns and I'll be down on him this next year for the same reason.

I distinctly remember you saying that Charles was your RB1. And regardless, passing on guys because you think they are significantly more likely to get hurt than other guys is nearly always a bad idea.

In any case his ACL was a clean break with no damage to the other ligaments, his rehab appears to be going well, and I would argue vociferously that Jamaal Charles is the best running back of this decade.

If Charles falls to even the mid-1st in ppr he's a steal.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Forever_Peace posted:

I distinctly remember you saying that Charles was your RB1. And regardless, passing on guys because you think they are significantly more likely to get hurt than other guys is nearly always a bad idea.

In any case his ACL was a clean break with no damage to the other ligaments, his rehab appears to be going well, and I would argue vociferously that Jamaal Charles is the best running back of this decade.

I have nothing to add here except agreed 100%

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Yah I would have to echo that if Jamaal Charles drops to the mid-1st in any PPR format, you should take him. I know the injury-prone label gets thrown around a lot but I wouldn't call Charles injury prone. He tore his left ACL in 2011 and up until now, he hasn't missed major time due to injury. The ACL he tore last year was his right so its not like it was the same exact injury.

Players I would pick before JC in 0.5PPR:

Le'Veon Bell
Antonio Brown
Julio Jones
Gurley?
OBJ?

I think that is about it. The last two might be questionable.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

MrSargent posted:

Yah I would have to echo that if Jamaal Charles drops to the mid-1st in any PPR format, you should take him. I know the injury-prone label gets thrown around a lot but I wouldn't call Charles injury prone. He tore his left ACL in 2011 and up until now, he hasn't missed major time due to injury. The ACL he tore last year was his right so its not like it was the same exact injury.

Also worth mentioning that the last time he tore his ACL, he came back the next year and broke 220 rushing yards twice. He averaged about 110 scrimmage yards per game and didn't miss a single one.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Forever_Peace posted:

Charles was my RB1 going into this year in standard, that's true - I had him slightly above AP since AP was a massive question mark. And I wouldn't argue with you that he's one of the best, if not the best RB of this decade.

But I agree if he falls to mid-1st, grab him. Sure.

EDIT: But while Charles was my RB1 for standard, I ended up in no standard leagues this year and did not draft him anywhere (though he was available for my 1st pick multiple times). The emergence and use of Knile Davis in 2014 coupled with his reduced carry counts left me a bit skeptical and this year still leaves me skeptical.

I would not be surprised if I'm wrong and he plays the full year next year and ends up RB1. He's a fantastic RB. He just gives me jitters - like L. Bell does now, to be honest.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 22, 2016

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Where does everyone see Jordy Nelson and Kelvin Benjamin going this year? I can't imagine their ADP will be much different than last year even coming off injury. I expect Nelson will go in the 2nd and Benjamin in the 3rd.

I think Cobb could be a good target this year with Nelson back if he drops in the Draft after a down year.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MrSargent posted:

Where does everyone see Jordy Nelson and Kelvin Benjamin going this year? I can't imagine their ADP will be much different than last year even coming off injury. I expect Nelson will go in the 2nd and Benjamin in the 3rd.

I think Cobb could be a good target this year with Nelson back if he drops in the Draft after a down year.

Kelvin will go earlier than he should for a big slow stone hand inefficient receiver. Jordy will go early, but 2nd might be too early a prediction, not sure. Maybe late 2nd. I'd probably take him just as a borderline WR1, as his time off + injury + Green Bay's woes this year just make him more risky than lots of other good options.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Kelvin will go earlier than he should for a big slow stone hand inefficient receiver. Jordy will go early, but 2nd might be too early a prediction, not sure. Maybe late 2nd. I'd probably take him just as a borderline WR1, as his time off + injury + Green Bay's woes this year just make him more risky than lots of other good options.

Yah I just feel that a lot of Green Bay's woes this year on offense had to do with their receiving core forgetting how to catch passes and having no one that spreads the field like Jordy. Cobb is clearly not a #1 even though he has the potential to put up WR1 numbers opposite Jordy. Their run game was also a lot worse this year which played a factor but I don't think you can downplay the impact Nelson makes on that team. Let's not forget that in 0.5PPR in 2014, Nelson had the third most points, only trailing Antonio Brown and Demaryius Thomas. If he drops to the 3rd, that will be one of the steals of the draft, like it was when I got him in the 3rd in 2014.

Just looked it up. Rodgers had 31 TD's and 3800yds in a down year so something tells me that they will be just fine.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 22, 2016

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
I know it's still early, but i'm speculating already who i'll be keeping in my keeper league.

Where would you guys currently rank these guys?

Gurley (6th)
Rawls (10th)
Edelman (4th)
Jordy Nelson (9th if Rawls is also kept, 10th otherwise)
Josh Gordon (same conditions as Nelson)
Cam Newton (8th)

full PPR

I'm thinking if Lynch is indeed gone, Rawls will be one for sure, the 2nd choice is a bit of a toss, but still probably Gurley? But i can see a great argument for Nelson at that value in PPR.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

VietCampo posted:

I know it's still early, but i'm speculating already who i'll be keeping in my keeper league.

Where would you guys currently rank these guys?

Gurley (6th)
Rawls (10th)
Edelman (4th)
Jordy Nelson (9th if Rawls is also kept, 10th otherwise)
Josh Gordon (same conditions as Nelson)
Cam Newton (8th)

full PPR

I'm thinking if Lynch is indeed gone, Rawls will be one for sure, the 2nd choice is a bit of a toss, but still probably Gurley? But i can see a great argument for Nelson at that value in PPR.

Rawls is crazy value so that is clearly the #1. Having to decide between a 9th for Jordy and a 6th for Gurley is a pretty enviable position to be in. Definite no on Edelman and Gordon. Cam is an interesting option for an 8th seeing as he was the QB1 this year. Nothing like a choice between 3 great value picks to really make you second guess yourself huh?

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

MrSargent posted:

Rawls is crazy value so that is clearly the #1. Having to decide between a 9th for Jordy and a 6th for Gurley is a pretty enviable position to be in. Definite no on Edelman and Gordon. Cam is an interesting option for an 8th seeing as he was the QB1 this year. Nothing like a choice between 3 great value picks to really make you second guess yourself huh?

Yea, i've been a huge Jordy Nelson fantasy homer ever since 2 years ago him and Demaryious Thomas both carried me to the championship and won. Gurley is great, but i'm just worried the Rams don't fix the rest of the Offense and it hurts him.

Maybe the Rams do some good offseason moves and makes it a little easier, or they do some lovely moves and it still makes my decision easier?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

VietCampo posted:

Yea, i've been a huge Jordy Nelson fantasy homer ever since 2 years ago him and Demaryious Thomas both carried me to the championship and won. Gurley is great, but i'm just worried the Rams don't fix the rest of the Offense and it hurts him.

Maybe the Rams do some good offseason moves and makes it a little easier, or they do some lovely moves and it still makes my decision easier?

I am a huge Jordy fan as well. I think the Rams are committed to a run-heavy attack and the focus of the offseason has to be on the offense because they are pretty loving stacked on the other side of the ball. It is the Rams but I am hoping even they can't gently caress this up. The most interesting move will be seeing what they do at QB.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001

Ben Nevis posted:

I think with Forte it really depends on where he ends up. He's clearly got something left in the tank despite his age, but the wrong situation could have him outside the top 10. Shoot, even if he's back with the bears, I'm not sure the Forte/Langford split leaves him at the top next year.

If Forte stays a prime back instead of a time share he is still roughly RB8 in 0.5 PPR. Hell he was averaging 14+ pts even with a 60/40 split. If he ends up in a good situation or back in Chicago late second round is not out of the question at all, and if he is available in the 4th take him and run.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Fantastic OP!

Looking forward to this thread. I always enjoy offseason FF discussion more than inseason. There's too much noise during the season.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

MrSargent posted:

For fun, I tried to list the top 10 RB's at this point. Here is what I came up with in no particular order.

1. Le'Veon Bell
2. Adrian Peterson
3. Devonta Freeman
4. Todd Gurley
5. Doug Martin
6. Lamar Miller
7. Thomas Rawls
8. Jamaal Charles
9. Mark Ingram
10. Matt Forte

When you get down to the 10th RB or so, there are a few who could move up depending on their situation.

I will want nothing to do with Freeman next year. He's better in fantasy than real life, which makes his value tenuous, and his team was a dumpster fire, which means that you should expect some changes. If those changes change his role, his value evaporates. I mean, this is true for anyone - if a guy gets 50 less carries, or loses goal line duties, he's not going to be as useful in FF. But certain players are so dependent on their roles that if anything goes just slightly wrong, they are worthless. I could see him going top 5 and there's no way I would touch him there. 1st round picks should not have legit danger to lose their job. I'll take a late round/cheap auction pick flier on Coleman and stash him for sure.

I think Charles could end up being a risk too. West and Ware are both good and young (and cheap). Charles is 29 and has two years left on his contact. They're saying the right things today, but it's hard to read. On the one hand, I could see the Chiefs riding him hard for the rest of his contract. On the other hand, Andy Reid has a history of splitting carries with a full backfield - look at the Eagles from the early 2000's. Westbrook was electric, but Duce and Buckhalter had different and distinct talents, and so splitting the carries made sense, and the Eagles were a better team for it. Charles will definitely lead the backfield in touches, but if they're giving West 10 touches a game, and Ware goal line carries, that would dent his value. The Chiefs were a very good team without him - and the idea of trading him to fill other holes might be appealing. If he gets traded, I'd like him more.

Ingram is very dependent on what happens with Brees and the whole Saints roster. He's not actually particularly talented, he's just in a great role. Same as Freeman, any changes to his role would cause his value to evaporate. They're both kind of dependent on garbage time dumpoffs and volume. The Saints reformulated the whole team around running and defense, and it blew up in their faces, so I'd expect changes there too.

David Johnson will probably get drafted too high, but the dude is legit. He would be a great pick in the late second or third, but I could see him getting hype and going in the first.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I pretty much agree with you on staying away from Freeman with a top pick next year but its silly to think that he isn't a Top-10 RB when he had the most points of any other RB, and by a good amount (0.5PPR he was ahead of Peterson by 34 points!). This was a huge breakout season for him so despite Atlanta's problems, I feel he is still going to be a big part of the offense.

I'm curious what RB's I didn't put on the list that you would rank higher?

The only RBs I could see taking in the first round are Bell, Peterson, Gurley, Rawls, and Charles. Maybe Forte depending on where he ends up.

Edit: Holy poo poo. I was looking at the top receivers this year and in 0.5PPR, Eric Decker scored double digits in every single game last year, except the one game he didn't play. That is some remarkable consistency.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 24, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MrSargent posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo. I was looking at the top receivers this year and in 0.5PPR, Eric Decker scored double digits in every single game last year, except the one game he didn't play. That is some remarkable consistency.

Yep. Not sure if he kept it up all the way through the year, but it was something like 80 yards or a TD in every single game. Ridiculously consistent.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I'm a huge Fantasy podcast listener, so I thought I'd share my thoughts (or at least start to aggregate a list) on some of the different podcasts I listened to this year, in case anyone wants to elaborate and add to the OP as a resource.

Dynasty:

DLF Dynasty Football
Solid overall dynasty resource. General discussion of dynasty value/situations, with occasional dynasty mocks. Three hosts (Jarret, Eric and Karl) that rotate in and out, and they get a good mix of guests from a variety of different fantasy sites/podcasts.

Under the Helmet (UTH)
Another good resource for dynasty valuations and discussions. I just started listening to this one about a month ago, and am enjoying their offseason content. They tend to discuss more deep dynasty/sleeper players than DLF does. Their overall strategy/philosophy on dynasty is pretty strong.

Redraft/Season-Long Fantasy:

The Audible
The FootballGuys podcast breaks out into a couple of different topics each week: waiver wire pickups, game recaps and previews, The Audible (Thursday night gamewatch/rountable discussion), On The Couch (One on one interviews with guests each week) and the IDP Roundtable.

I personally only listen to On the Couch and the Audible. Sigmund Bloom is a really likeable guy and a good interviewer. Only knock on Bloom is he tends to always go full hype train on the athletic SPARQ freaks like CMike.

The Audible is usually a good, longer podcast listen each week. In addition to Bloom, I like Matt Waldman a lot - he's really sharp when it comes to Rookie Scouting (his annual Rookie Scouting Portfolio is worth every penny if you do dynasty) and adds a lot to the conversation.

Matt Harmon from NFL.com is on the Audible every once in awhile, and is also pretty good. He has an article series - Reception Perception - that is a great look at Wide Receiver route running/success , and he was the reason I went all in on Allen Robinson last year.

Jene Bramel is a physician and always gives great context and information on injury timetables and predictions.

Cecil Lammey reminds me of a morning zoo radio host, and is not very good.

Harris Football

Christopher Harris used to work for ESPN, and went solo this year with a new website and nearly daily podcast.Harris is a big gametape/film analysis guy, and is worth listening to soley for this portion of the podcast. He way over uses inside jokes, memes and fan submitted nicknames, which can get pretty grating.

Living the Stream

In addition to general banter and solid fantasy advice, JJ Zacharison and CD Carter recommend QBs, TEs and D/STs to stream each week, and have a solid track record of streaming an above average cumulative performer year-long at each position. Hosts have a good rapport.

4for4

Solid information and analysis, but dry delivery. The host John Paulsen consistently ranks as one of the most accurate Fantasy Analysts, and he had some good calls this year - particularly Larry Fitzgerald, Brandon Marshall and Delanie Walker.

Rotoviz Radio

Excellent all-around podcast. Good hosts, great guests, good metrics and stats information.

The Faked Goods Dynasty Podcast

One of the more entertaining podcasts out there. Solid mix of redraft and DFS hot takes, but not as much dynasty talk as you'd expect (since it's in the name).

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Cecil Lammey is a dumb piece of poo poo.

The Fantasy Footballers podcast is a must listen. They are all very smart and it has a lot of mirth with the analysis.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Looking for some advice for IDP folks.

I'm picking up an Orphan team in a dynasty league, and it looks like a dispersal draft is going to be held since multiple teams are orphaned, meaning I will have to draft a team from a pool of available players. I am new to IDP, so don't know how to value them in a draft (relative scarcity, how valuable given scoring settings, etc.)

Here are our starting lineups:

1 QB
2 RB
2 WR
1 TE
2 Flex TE/WR/RB
1 PK
1 DB
1 LB
1 DL
1 Flex DB/LB/DL

Scoring is standard for skill positions, with .5 PPR and 6 point Passing TDs.

Here is our IDP scoring system:

Defensive Fumble Recovery TDs: 6 points each
Fumble Recoveries (from Opponent): 2 points each
Forced Fumbles: 3 points each
Interception Return TDs: 6 points each
Interceptions Caught: 3 points each
Passes Defensed: 1 point each
Blocked Field Goal TDs: 6 points each
Blocked Field Goals: 3 points each
Missed Field Goal Return TDs: 6 points each
Blocked Punts: 3 points each
Blocked Extra Points: 3 points each
Defensive Tackles: 1 point each
Defensive Assists: 0.5 points each
Sacked a QB: 2 points each
Tackles for a Loss: 3 points each
Safeties: 2 points each

Any thoughts on how I should value the various positions (DB, LB, DL)?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Lammey is terrible, but I still found him more tolerable than Chris Harris. Happily I think you can get a lot of the value Harris has to offer from looking at his ranks compared to the conventional wisdom.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cervixalot posted:

Looking for some advice for IDP folks.

I'm picking up an Orphan team in a dynasty league, and it looks like a dispersal draft is going to be held since multiple teams are orphaned, meaning I will have to draft a team from a pool of available players. I am new to IDP, so don't know how to value them in a draft (relative scarcity, how valuable given scoring settings, etc.)

Here are our starting lineups:

1 QB
2 RB
2 WR
1 TE
2 Flex TE/WR/RB
1 PK
1 DB
1 LB
1 DL
1 Flex DB/LB/DL

Scoring is standard for skill positions, with .5 PPR and 6 point Passing TDs.

Here is our IDP scoring system:

Defensive Fumble Recovery TDs: 6 points each
Fumble Recoveries (from Opponent): 2 points each
Forced Fumbles: 3 points each
Interception Return TDs: 6 points each
Interceptions Caught: 3 points each
Passes Defensed: 1 point each
Blocked Field Goal TDs: 6 points each
Blocked Field Goals: 3 points each
Missed Field Goal Return TDs: 6 points each
Blocked Punts: 3 points each
Blocked Extra Points: 3 points each
Defensive Tackles: 1 point each
Defensive Assists: 0.5 points each
Sacked a QB: 2 points each
Tackles for a Loss: 3 points each
Safeties: 2 points each

Any thoughts on how I should value the various positions (DB, LB, DL)?

That is not super big play heavy scoring, with sacks only being 2x a tackle. Tackle machine LBs will be your best bet. Google "every down LBs" to get tips on who plays every or almost every down; opportunity >>> talent. Target DLs based on tackle numbers, not so much sacks. A lineman that gets 60 tackles and 1 sack beats out a lineman with 30 tackles and 15 sacks. For DB, just go for strong safeties, rather than chasing interceptions.

Between the three, DL has the steepest drop off in scoring usually, so you definitely want to try to grab at least one top or almost top tier, quality every week starter (imo). An elite LB will be great, but it's easier to find another cheap starter that will get you 80-90% of a Kuechly. So definitely make sure you have decent LBs given they'll score the most, but grabbing Watt + LB10 will certainly be better than Kuechly + DL10, for example. Go to fftoday.com and put in your league's settings to get a better sense for how the scoring tiers from this year shape up, though.

Starting only one of each, I'd definitely target an elite DL first, two top 10-15 LBs, and whatever SS is available. Grab one or two backup LBs that are projected to be every down players, then only bother with a backup DL or DB if there's a clear top 10-20 guy just sitting there after you've filled out the rest of your roster. I'd likely fill out the offensive starters first though, unless Watt or other very top tier players are available. Great WRs + just decent IDPs will be totally fine and better than the reverse. Then just play the waiver wire; there will be tons of value there during the year with so few IDP starters meaning not much hoarding.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 25, 2016

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I added in the podcast information to the OP, thanks Cervixalot!

After the fiasco that was Carson Palmer in the NFC Championship, do you think there is any chance he isn't with the Cardinals next year? Looking over his contract details, the Cardinals aren't really on the hook for anything after this year. The problem is that they have absolutely no one to replace him with right now. Despite his performance yesterday, he is still miles ahead of most of the starter QB's in this league and losing him would be a major blow to the offense.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nah, a QB who takes his team to the conference championships is still a star QB. He definitely screwed up a lot last night, but the later interceptions are forgivable because the team was down 3+ scores which put him into a position of having to force passes regardless of coverage. Also, probably his finger is still hosed up, affecting his accuracy. And he was facing a defense that was absolutely on fire. And there were an unforgivable number of drops by his targets that make his numbers look a lot worse.

I'm thinking there's a chance the Cardinals draft a midround QB to be Palmer's understudy. Someone with talent, but too raw to be a potential starter in 2016.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Nah, a QB who takes his team to the conference championships is still a star QB. He definitely screwed up a lot last night, but the later interceptions are forgivable because the team was down 3+ scores which put him into a position of having to force passes regardless of coverage. Also, probably his finger is still hosed up, affecting his accuracy. And he was facing a defense that was absolutely on fire. And there were an unforgivable number of drops by his targets that make his numbers look a lot worse.

I'm thinking there's a chance the Cardinals draft a midround QB to be Palmer's understudy. Someone with talent, but too raw to be a potential starter in 2016.

Yah I think I agree with you there. Just thought it was interesting that they aren't tied down to him after this year since they have paid him all of his guaranteed money.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

MrSargent posted:

I pretty much agree with you on staying away from Freeman with a top pick next year but its silly to think that he isn't a Top-10 RB when he had the most points of any other RB, and by a good amount (0.5PPR he was ahead of Peterson by 34 points!). This was a huge breakout season for him so despite Atlanta's problems, I feel he is still going to be a big part of the offense.

I'm curious what RB's I didn't put on the list that you would rank higher?

The only RBs I could see taking in the first round are Bell, Peterson, Gurley, Rawls, and Charles. Maybe Forte depending on where he ends up.

As far as 1st rounders go, there are only four guys I'd take, and I'd rank them:

Le'Veon Bell
Adrian Peterson
Todd Gurley
Jamaal Charles

The only guy you didn't put on the list that I'd like at this moment is David Johnson. He's going to be a 3 down back in a good offense, and he's got elite receiving skills. I like him better than Ingram and possibly Forte. But definitely not in the 1st, due to uncertainty. The 1st round is all about risk mitigation to me.

Back on Freeman - if he starts the whole season, he's easily a top 10 RB, I agree. But what happens if Coleman comes in and looks like a better runner? The Falcons coaching staff is not going to care about Freeman's FF value. His real life season was less consistent and impressive than his FF season. The trend of his season is concerning, and his overall rushing numbers don't impress - 250+ carries for 4.0 YPC. He racked up TD's, but those look more and more like outliers. He had 2 rushing TD's the second half of the season. Overall, if you watch him, he doesn't leap off the screen like other guys you might draft in the 1st round, and that's because he's not an elite talent. Those guys up top in my list of 1st rounders are elite talents. No one is going to take their job as long as they're on the team. Worst case, someone like Charles loses some carries to other talented (but much less so) backs, in an effort to keep everyone fresh.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Awesome IDP Info, thanks RVProfootballer!

I am about to start this dynasty dispersal draft, where myself and 4 other new owners are drafting from the remnants of 5 teams, and pickings are pretty slim. It looks like the best options available to me at the third spot are going to be TY Hilton or the 2016 1.1. Given the likelihood that I end up with a sub-par team, I am planning to punt at least the first year and acquire as many tradeable assets as possible in the draft.

My gut told me to go Hilton at first, but I'm starting to think the 1.1 may trade higher (and Twitter is telling me this as well). What do you all think?

Players available at 1.3 in the startup draft:
Demaryius Thomas
Hilton
Newton
Devonta Freeman
Kelvin Benjamin
Tyler Eifert

6 point Passing TDs, .5 PPR. 12 Teams.

Edit: Went with DT.

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 26, 2016

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Cervixalot posted:

Awesome IDP Info, thanks RVProfootballer!

I am about to start this dynasty dispersal draft, where myself and 4 other new owners are drafting from the remnants of 5 teams, and pickings are pretty slim. It looks like the best options available to me at the third spot are going to be TY Hilton or the 2016 1.1. Given the likelihood that I end up with a sub-par team, I am planning to punt at least the first year and acquire as many tradeable assets as possible in the draft.

My gut told me to go Hilton at first, but I'm starting to think the 1.1 may trade higher (and Twitter is telling me this as well). What do you all think?

Players available at 1.3 in the startup draft:
Demaryius Thomas
Hilton
Newton
Devonta Freeman
Kelvin Benjamin
Tyler Eifert

6 point Passing TDs, .5 PPR. 12 Teams.

Edit: Went with DT.

The 1.1 is 10x as valuable as Hilton. Take that 100%/out of 10.

e. Also DT is more valuable than Hilton.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

The 1.1 is 10x as valuable as Hilton. Take that 100%/out of 10.

e. Also DT is more valuable than Hilton.

Thanks - yeah, I expected DT to be taken at two, but he went Luck instead. I think DT and the 1.1 are probably relatively close, but not knowing the trade market in this league I figure taking a player here might be the safer move. If somehow the 1.1 slips to me in the second, I'll take it all day.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

District Selectman posted:

He racked up TD's, but those look more and more like outliers. He had 2 rushing TD's the second half of the season.

I remember someone posting last season that the NFL average Pass TD/Rush TD ratio is somewhere like 1.8:1 and the Falcons for most of the season were somewhere around 1:2.

Draft Freeman at your own peril.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I remember someone posting last season that the NFL average Pass TD/Rush TD ratio is somewhere like 1.8:1 and the Falcons for most of the season were somewhere around 1:2.

Draft Freeman at your own peril.

I'll be honest I did not watch a lot of Falcons games late in the year. But maybe a contributing factor to his drop off the second half is that the Atlanta passing game was absolute dogshit and teams keyed in on the run and just let Ryan throw picks all day.

Also, his end of the season was pretty brutal in terms of opponents. He played CAR twice and TB once who both have good Run D and still managed to get volume and a reasonable floor.

I think all of your points about risk in the first round are extremely valid and I won't be taking Freeman there either, even though we are last name buddies :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Y'all do realize that Devonta became the de facto second option towards the end of the season right?

Taking out the game where he left early, he averaged 16.75 FPPG in PPR from yards and catches alone. And that includes the games where he was behind Coleman. Going from week three when he became the starter and ignoring the concussion game he had 17.875 FPPG from just yards + catches. He got ten targets four times this season including two of the five games after he returned from injury.

A lot of his second half dropoff is he got banged for a concussion after a like 30 yard run on his third carry and he had one miserable game in terms of overall production. His yards from scrimmage in his last 5 games (because he was out before then): 103, 62, 101, 90, 94. If you thought he was going to have 130 yards from scrimmage all season you're the sucker. He was tremendously productive because of his usage in the pass game.

He also scored a touchdown in weeks 15, 16 and 17.

The rumors of Devonta's demise are greatly exaggerated.

• Locked thread