Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I don't have a name for it yet, but I'm thinking of opening a place that specializes in a fusion of breakfast and lunch. I'm thinking of calling it something like "Blunch".

I don't have a lot of experience in the sit-down market, but I had a few years of experience behind the counter at in a few difference fast food joints. I mean, a fryer is a fryer and a grill is a grill. I just need to make do without a counter between me and my customer. I figure this won't be a problem. After all, if I can convince somebody to upgrade from a small to a large (without even mentioning the possibility of a medium size), hosting will be a piece of cake.

I'm not doing this alone, but my partner doesn't really want all the attention. Let's just leave it at this: she's good to go.

So it all comes down to this: I just need some money. I could go to the bank, but I would rather not tie myself down to traditional funding methods. I figure I would ask you, GBS. My history with the bank is...complicated...so I couldn't exactly go to the bank for help without incurring some extra fees. And let's be real here: I need as much money as possible.

If you're willing to donate, let me know here. I also need someone to set up the website (I'm not very good with these things), and someone to help me finalize the menu. Any takers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Hot Dog Bar.

It's a lovely dive bar, but they have lots of hot dogs on hand right at the bar for like $1 so you can eat them while you drink.

Aug 4, 2010

sounds good, kickstart it

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i guess i could make the website if no one else wants to :shrug: also could you name your restaurant "dunk a dill pickle"? asking for a friend

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
might as well take all ur money and light it on fire in the middle of a busy street

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Hot Dog Bar.

It's a lovely dive bar, but they have lots of hot dogs on hand right at the bar for like $1 so you can eat them while you drink.

I've been to a bar in Wisconsin that had free all you can eat bacon.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i just bought dunkadillpickle.com and im currently allocating resources for wiki.dunkadillpickle.com and forums.dunkadillpickle.com. also i hired an SEO designer who is making me a personalized keyword list. so far the main keywords are dunk, dill, and pickle. hth.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
i hear cupcake shops are a solid investment

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

dad gay. so what posted:

i guess i could make the website if no one else wants to :shrug: also could you name your restaurant "dunk a dill pickle"? asking for a friend

That sounds like an excellent menu item but I'm not sure that name suggests the flavor fusion between Lunch and Breakfast. Any way you could work "blunch" into it? I'm trying but I feel a little fried.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I've been to a bar in Wisconsin that had free all you can eat bacon.

Whoa

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

satanic splash-back posted:

That sounds like an excellent menu item but I'm not sure that name suggests the flavor fusion between Lunch and Breakfast. Any way you could work "blunch" into it? I'm trying but I feel a little fried.

i wrote some code for this earlier actually you could probably do something like "dunk a dill pickle, blunch" or just "dunk a dill pickle, [null]"

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

dad gay. so what posted:

i just bought dunkadillpickle.com and im currently allocating resources for wiki.dunkadillpickle.com and forums.dunkadillpickle.com. also i hired an SEO designer who is making me a personalized keyword list. so far the main keywords are dunk, dill, and pickle. hth.

This sounds like a good opportunity. Rethinking the whole static menu thing now.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Can You Blunch a Dill Pickle?

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

you should call it "money for something and your chips for free" and serve free fries with every order

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
restaurants destroy lives. people are killed by restaurants every day and the governmemt just sweeps their corpses under the walkin in with all the decaying sludge and broken promises *weeps silently*

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Free 'Coli

(broocoli bar)

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
you could open up a graveyard too and call it "dunk a dill pickle, the graveyard"

it sounds easy and its a more complicated business model than you think but the main things you need are some land outside of town and a shovel and you can kind of scale from there.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Baa'd Food

(mutton stuff)

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
you will be loving GROUND TO DUST. unless you have balls made of stainless steel you will end up as a little weepy puddle of cheap vodka burping at the bottom of a pickle bucket. good luck ese, youre gonna need it

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

There's a restaurant around here that serves fries and that's about it but the gimic is it comes with one of many favours of sauce to dip them in.

I hope it's out of business now.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Enfield posted:

you will be loving GROUND TO DUST. unless you have balls made of stainless steel you will end up as a little weepy puddle of cheap vodka burping at the bottom of a pickle bucket. good luck ese, youre gonna need it

Listen, I don't know who the gently caress you think you are, but let me tell you this: you're a bad pickle. A real loving bad pickle. And I don't need your peoples' kind of support. In fact, I won't stand for someone living in sin, like you, making accusations against me.

Your boss will be hearing from my partner.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

satanic splash-back posted:

Listen, I don't know who the gently caress you think you are, but let me tell you this: you're a bad pickle. A real loving bad pickle. And I don't need your peoples' kind of support. In fact, I won't stand for someone living in sin, like you, making accusations against me.

Your boss will be hearing from my partner.

im a good pickle
e: i guess i have the characteristics of both good and bad pickles. im a complicated pickle

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Bar idea: buy a warehouse and cover the ground in astro turf and put out a bunch of lawn furniture. Also, use projectors to show sports games on every wall. It will be like being a party outside in someones back yard except every way you look you will see sports.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
you could start a marketing campaign with the tagline "Pickles, the original breakfast treat" and then you can kind of reinvent dunk a dills as a breakfast food. just do pickles in hot dog buns for the lunch part and say "pickles, the original power lunch" and then that works too. Added benefit of being vegan friendly and you can market this too depending on where you live. Alternatively try stuff like "pickles, the original green meat" and tshirts that say "Pickle Power".

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Restaurant where you make your own pizza

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
how about instead of a restaurant you just open up a titty bar

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

the backwards restaurant

u start with dessert and then at the end u eat appetizers and then last some bread idk

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

a strip club but the chicks are ugly and you have to give them money to put more clothing on

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
pinch out a few steaming loaves and open a bakery OP

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Open a dispensary. They basically print money.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
half price meals when u eat them without using utensils or hands

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

How about a farm to table style restaurant on an actual farm? Where patrons have the opportunity to order a steak, from a cow that they select when they walk in. Then the server would go out into the fields and lead their cow to the slaughter house and an hour or two later deliver 2 filet mignon's to the Couple's table. Super fresh steak! There would also be a gift shop / butcher where people could just buy the extra meat off the farm animals on their way out the door. It would be awesome.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

just a straight up meat locker where they give you a machete and you have a go at various hanging carcasses in competition with other patrons for the best cuts

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Ideas:

In Hong Kong one of the best whiskey clubs is hidden and you need to go on the website to get a keyword for the doorman. The door is unmarked and hidden behind a bunch of stalls with people (bouncers) in front, selling poo poo. So like a 1930 mob movie you need to go past the stall, show your ID to the man, and knock on a door 3 times and give a password to a guy. And then you are led to an underground whiskey room like a mob speakeasy with a live blues band.

In New York there is a pizza shop in the front of a bar, at the back of this small italian pizza shop is a night club that can only be accessed by putting a quarter in an old payphone and the wall opens up to reveal the main room.

In London there is a exclusive nightclub which is a former bond trading floor. Like the second Matrix you walk into a bank building and you are given a keycard, the bar is open all times after 12 pm. You and your crew will walk in with a normal group and everything is normal, until you enter your "office" and it turns out the reception area leads into a dance floor with 100 db soundproofed walls, bottle service and top mainland house DJ's. Countless stories of "trips to the bathroom" will naturally happen and you will have a very motivated (office drone) population to tap into, literally. Just make sure the windows are reenforced should a bar fight breakout and one of those nice chairs goes out a 40 floor drop during trading hours.

In Tokyo there is a bar which is stocked with over 400 kinds of drinks and is just a single long bar and the scotch bar bottles literally hold up a wooden plank which is the bar. Food is free, whiskey aint cheap.

Russian vodka bar, Toronto. Go to a Ukranian/Russian/Chinese village and buy the entire bar, it'll be like 100 bux at current FX. Pack the bar right down to the sketchy toilets into a freight box and send it to your city. No matter how tacky it is, people will come if the drink and 'authenticity' feels right.

Vodka bar/ice lounge: Ice is expensive but pays for itself in climates where people will pay a premium for air conditioned and/or exclusivity. Most ice companies will give you cut rates if you are a constant/repeat customer. Just have a good drainage system on the dance floor/mainpath and you should be set for 5 years or so (1 bar cycle).

Sidebar. Sublease the space between two buildings. Hire an ad agency to make a viral message on campus and host a perma-beer tent setup for a few months. Literally your setup is a plank, a liquor license, a few kegs + plastic chairs. Blow the rest of the cash on hiring the local talent and cutting the beer sales with the bands if they max the capacity each night (think Uber surcharging before Uber was a thing). Close the place for a month, then bring it back at the peak of summer with a large act as the 'opening event'. Repeat every summer. I personally enjoy the "cowboys" theme for bar ambiance.

Waffle House.

Someone already said the meat locker. This is actually a good idea so long as you remember to throw a weightscale and control the theft (shrinkage) by checkpointing to the grill. Keep the place chilled and limit poultry for health violations.

My bar....

Go to a local university and steal all the furniture from common rooms. If a patron screws or pukes on the couch, throw it out on the street so lineups have a place to sit while waiting to get in. For better Irony, find a going out of business sale and buy the entire furniture set. Police Auctions are also good for random poo poo.Trash day is Sunday anyways. Go to an old office company and buy a heavy bench and get a local carpenter to extend it out. Buy a microwave and put 1 can of campbell soup on a ledge to meet liquor compliance laws. Whitewash the walls each week. Every patron who comes into the bar can pay 15 bux for a sharpie and write whatever they want on the bar/walls/washroom, whatever.

Spend the rest of your cash on live music, and get top bands to book or be the afterparty destination. When you get a Tier1 band (better then Nickleback or Sum41) showing up nightly to play for free, close the bar and pay off your loans.

Post on the internet when someone asks for good ideas in a horrible business model. Invite the goon to the grand opening in 2016 (and bankruptcy in 2017).

At all costs stay out of novelty or 'historic' buildings. Never get into an achor tenant or keystone clause. Your staff are all going to have sex and steal the float each night. You will be shut down by the police at least once, do not panic at the disco. Nobody ever brings drugs into your bar --- and that is your official and legally confirmed story.

Enjoy.

Hal_2005 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 20, 2016

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Some kinda hot dog stand, maybe a shack ? Food piled high perhaps?

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
cooler full of tamales at a construction site

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Ideas: eat a bag of dicks.

I've never had a bag of dicks. Kind of want to see what all the hype is about, and I'm not the only one.

So maybe a bag of pickled dicks as an option. Like those chicken fries Burger King is plugging now, but dicks.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
A food van that sells soft serve and plays a loud song to let everyone know the food van that sells soft serve is around

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
space food and beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Saucy Minx

A restaurant that focuses on the best part of dishes: The sauces, dressings and gravies that cover everything.

You want a bowl of pepper gravy with just a few teaspoons of potatoes?
A big cup of cucumber sauce from those Greek pita things that no one pronounces properly with a couple a baked to a crisp slices of lamb meat to scoop it up?
A creamy thing of Ranch dressing thickened up with fresh baked croutons?
A 'family size' 32 ounce to-go cup of sweet and sour dipping sauce to nurse on the way home?

You've can have all those and more at Saucy Minx. We won't judge what you like to eat here.

• Locked thread