Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
y’all should throw my man some book recs since you’re so smart about politics and so bad at posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
you seem upset

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Try the bible morons walk in the footsteps of jesus if you want any hope of understanding communism

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

can't wait until I'm a smart enough about leftism to own motherfuckers online tbh

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
2021 and we’re still doing the “u mad?”

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
although actually i do like this chapter from "a long view from the left" by al richmond. it only touches on the CIO but gives you a lot of insight into the CPUSA's strategy for engagement with the AFL and CIO in the 30s https://grassrootspolicy.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/The-Popular-Front-Al-Richmond.pdf

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

apropos to nothing posted:

2021 and we’re still doing the “u mad?”

i mean how else am i supposed to take "oh yeah well where's your book then? let's see ferrinus's book. come on. put up." yours seemed fine to me

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

maybe you actually are mad at having your politics criticized, and rather than a calm and collected flame war veteran, your true self is a guy who writes long weepy screeds about how important force the vote is that are so impassioned they don't even contain any paragraph breaks

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
lol was actually just trying to make the thread back about the thread topic and not this poo poo but good posts :thumbsup: if you think those book recs seem fine then you either a. didnt even do the most cursory google search of them or b. harbor secret trotskyite tendencies that is one of the types of liberalism. 4 or 5 i think.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i didn't google them, no, so technically i had no right to speak

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
trotsky is definitely the character i'd pick in a grand strategy mapgame to paint the map red, like napoleon. not sure any revolutionary committee is going to put me in charge of a real-life country though

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i imagine everyone here as good friends

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THS posted:

solidarity ftw

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
solidarity is for irl. online its post or be posted at. stay frosty.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

THS posted:

gently caress you

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

SorePotato posted:

Try the bible morons walk in the footsteps of jesus if you want any hope of understanding communism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtHCGj8UNMQ

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Free all posters. free larry, free benghazi 2, free lego robot

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

yeah they will retaliate and probe you

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Flavius Aetass posted:

gently caress you

severe antisocial tendencies

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lmao that slanderer got probed for making fun of the teachers pet.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

A Russian troll farm posted:

Free all posters. free larry, free benghazi 2, free lego robot

Just force r guy to accept the head admin position

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
You sure are a contentious bunch

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

brotha from anatha
Mar 24, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

lmao

brotha from anatha
Mar 24, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
"retard" is a funny word and banning made it funnier you absolute mods. delete your search history

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

sorry to derail but is there a good book about the history of the afl-cio

I would recommend "American Labor & American Democracy" by William English Walling

It covers the late 19th and early 20th century, just after the height of the popularity of the pre-New Deal labor movement, and before the Wilsonian slump. There's a sense of triumphalism despite missteps, but then you also get a sense of a distinct shift towards social democracy or a sort of syndicalism that serves as a harbinger for how the labor movement de-radicalized. With hindsight we know that there's going to be a re-radicalization in the 1920's and 30's as Bolshevik influence grows, but then we also know that that's going to be cut off after McCarthyism and the second Red Scare.

After that there's also "Organized Labor and American Politics, 1894-1994", edited by Kevin Boyle. This is a series of essays by both labor historians and labor leadership - reading through it the first time I felt a real heartbreak as these folks recapitulated accounts of the early 90s and how they realized they'd been abandoned if not outright betrayed by the Clinton administration.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
i love useful idiots

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Rand Paul
Aug 2, 2009

In Training posted:

This isn’t a book, but it’s an ok rundown of the AFL-CIO’s history of collaboration with the CIA and NED. https://inthesetimes.com/article/left-wing-union-afl-cio-imperialism

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Why would a shift to syndicalism lead to deradicalizing? Say what you want about the CNT but even Marxist Leninist commentators praised them on the persistence of their radicalism.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Ash Crimson posted:

The constant sniping and general fractiousness is the clearest proof that this thread is infact full of leftists.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ash Crimson posted:

you just made an enemy for life

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

it's "you just split the party"

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
idea: someone who packages leftism as a self-help system a la whatever kermit the lobsterfarmer is going on about as an excuse to hate on trans people.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

look no further than CPGB-ML

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
think of it more as "mister rogers talking to grownups" sort of pitch.

a kindly dude in a zip-up cardigan dispensing relevant, home-spun dialectical materialism as he whittles a wooden horse

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

oh i misread you, and named CPGB-ML precisely because they're a bunch of transphobes. anglos: not even once

funnily enough i just got reading this, which is kind of a communist self help lecture https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/liu-shaoqi/1939/how-to-be/index.htm

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

think of it more as "mister rogers talking to grownups" sort of pitch.

a kindly dude in a zip-up cardigan dispensing relevant, home-spun dialectical materialism as he whittles a wooden horse

2030s twitch streams

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

In Training posted:

You can't have a good book about the afl cio because they are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dixon Chisholm posted:

You can't have a good book about the afl cio because they are bad.

i think you'll find the biblical book of Judges is a great book about dumb idiots