Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

My Imaginary GF posted:

Sounds like a desperate need for some tort reforms so that you can deny an addict another useless medical test which wastes everyone's time and money.

gently caress addicts for bankrupting our public healthcare systems with bullshit medical testing and reported symptoms.

The problem I run into is that the boy who cried wolf isn't an aspirational story for doctors. Turns out doing IV drugs is super bad for you and just because you didn't have a bleeding gastric ulcer or varices doesn't mean you won't get one. I always work everything up at face value because I've seen people who have been to the ED 40 times in a year for abdominal pain, but actually had appendicitis on the 41st time. I'm genuinely working theses things up by the book not out of some abstract fear of lawsuits, but because I don't want to let someone die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Sounds like a desperate need for some tort reforms so that you can deny an addict another useless medical test which wastes everyone's time and money.

gently caress addicts for bankrupting our public healthcare systems with bullshit medical testing and reported symptoms.

Possibly gently caress the public healthcare system for not providing them another way to treat their condition?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Once when I was about 20 I went to the doctor for some minor malady. The doctor gave me a stern glare and told me "I know what you are looking for young lady, and you won't get it from me!"

I have always wondered if my random symptoms matched up with some typical drug-seeking behaviour. Or whether he was just crazy!

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

BarbarianElephant posted:

Once when I was about 20 I went to the doctor for some minor malady. The doctor gave me a stern glare and told me "I know what you are looking for young lady, and you won't get it from me!"

I have always wondered if my random symptoms matched up with some typical drug-seeking behaviour. Or whether he was just crazy!

You might have been profiled. Some health care people are really asses about tattoos.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

deathbysnusnu posted:

You might have been profiled. Some health care people are really asses about tattoos.

No tattoos, and I've got a generally meek and nerdy appearance.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I remember when I had a toothache it took me 48 hours of being awake in agony before I could get someone to give me decent painkillers.

Apparently when you're sitting in a chair sweating and shaking and looking like death, doctors don't like giving you drugs. Whodathunkit.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Possibly gently caress the public healthcare system for not providing them another way to treat their condition?

Like god, government helps those who help themselves. The public healthcare system, in response to the will of the American electorate, provides addicts with several viable, evidence-based pathways for treatment. Addicts should not be able to get away with wasting everyone else's time and tax dollars with useless costs as they attempt to lie their way to unpaid treatment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Like god, government helps those who help themselves. The public healthcare system, in response to the will of the American electorate, provides addicts with several viable, evidence-based pathways for treatment. Addicts should not be able to get away with wasting everyone else's time and tax dollars with useless costs as they attempt to lie their way to unpaid treatment.

Wouldn't it be easier to just hand out clean pharmaceutical grade drugs to anyone who wants them, and save all that time and money with the doctor, then I wonder?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to just hand out clean pharmaceutical grade drugs to anyone who wants them, and save all that time and money with the doctor, then I wonder?

It was that sort of thinking by doctors in the naughty aughties which gave us this epidemic in the first place. You're a bad doctor, OwlFancier.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yet for some reason you don't oppose all of the "help" the criminal justice system provides drug users, even non-addicts who would otherwise have absolutely no impact on your life whatsoever. You're just another moralizing authoritarian who wants to punish the morally impure based on a completely arbitrary drug classification system.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then perhaps a happy middle ground where if someone shows up clearly just wanting drugs you can just give them drugs and a referral to a rehab program, then they don't need to keep coming and getting you to do tests they don't need.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Then perhaps a happy middle ground where if someone shows up clearly just wanting drugs you can just give them drugs and a referral to a rehab program, then they don't need to keep coming and getting you to do tests they don't need.

Yes, isn't this what already happens for those of means? Those without means, we have a publicly funded rehab system: its called jail.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

deathbysnusnu posted:

That's a really tough question that we probably won't be able to answer for a decade or so. So my take is that heroin use has gone way up because recreational pills are becoming prohibitively hard to get due to KASPER. On the flip side, I'm hoping heroin use overall will go way down in time because most people get on heroin because they first got addicted to pills which is becoming a lot harder now.

Hope so. I am pushing my hospital to move to mandatory registration with the local background check system for all providers in our system. The ultimate goal is to get a system
Mandated background check on all substances as part of hospital policy. I do it on everyone before I give them narcotics of any kind. Usually comes up with nothing, sometimes it's a 40 page report for 6 months with over 3000 pills of dilaudid/Percocet/norco/Xanax/Valium and god knows what else.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, isn't this what already happens for those of means? Those without means, we have a publicly funded rehab system: its called jail.

Not really very good at it though.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So we should put addicts who haven't even necessarily committed any crimes into jail? Step it up, MIGF.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I would even venture that aspects of MIGF's obsessive and compulsive posting clearly show an addict beyond self-control who should be remanded to society's control for his own good.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

deoju posted:

I don't know much about the chemistry, but I read that since one of the precursor drugs, codeine is controlled, it is not profitable to cook in the US.

In Russia codeine is over the counter, which is why it is a huge problem there.

Codeine is, in some formulations, OTC in Canada too, and I haven't heard about krokodil being a problem here ever since the original media freakout over it.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I think it's more a function of there not being other potent opiate options in Russia, though the situation may have changed I don't know.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

So we should put addicts who haven't even necessarily committed any crimes into jail? Step it up, MIGF.

Using heroin is a crime. Don't like it? I'd recommend you lobby Congress to change the regulatory framework. Failing that, man the gently caress up and be a law-abiding citizen or get enough funds through your hard, stable work to pay the penalties.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't I get funds through other people's hard work instead to spend on drugs like a normal bourg?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Using heroin is a crime. Don't like it? I'd recommend you lobby Congress to change the regulatory framework. Failing that, man the gently caress up and be a law-abiding citizen or get enough funds through your hard, stable work to pay the penalties.

Oh, is it now? Can you quote me some law where "having used heroin at some indeterminate point in the past, yet not currently possessing or distributing it" is defined as criminal behavior?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

My Imaginary GF posted:

To reiterate, if you weren't a hypocritical authoritarian piece of poo poo you would care about all of the law enforcement resources being wasted on drug users, including non-addicts. What happened to the fiscal conservatism you were displaying a few posts ago?

Medical tests for addicts are "bankrupting" our healthcare system yet the completely pointless, counterproductive war on drugs we spend billions on is a nonissue? Not to mention that I could compile a long list of things that "bankrupt" our healthcare system more than that which we do not give people felony charges and prison time for.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 4, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

kliksf posted:

The thing is there are people who want to use or abuse opiates they want to get whatever feeling or relief they can get from them. The ting these days with fentanyl is, not unlike with molly, there's a lot of stuff passed around that's sold as one thing, Xanax, vicodin or whatever and people make up bogus pills that are easy as gently caress to OD on.
http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/7th-death-in-Sacramento-County-linked-to-7221177.php
Pretty sure the dealers don't want to kill their customers so much as just give them enough for them to get high/not get sick and then they keep coming back but with fentanyl the difference between a recreational dose and an overdose is ridiculously small. If people are doing pills to get high they may not know if they're getting a "legit" Oxycodone, perhaps stolen from a pharmacy, or a pill made to look like it only instead of 30mgs of oxycodone you get filler and 50 micrograms of fentanyl.

I don't know this for sure, but some shady dealers will have heroin cut with fentanyl and have people end up dying off of it. Junkies end up flocking to them because they hear about people dying and think it's some kind of super potent H. Not sure if this how it works, but it's what I've heard.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

Oh, is it now? Can you quote me some law where "having used heroin at some indeterminate point in the past, yet not currently possessing or distributing it" is defined as criminal behavior?

If you use heroin, and its in your blood, you're in possession of it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Only if you find them within under 5 minutes of shooting up. The whole point of heroin is that it's a prodrug that is converted rapidly into other things within the body, which then have a longer lasting analgesic effect.

Unless you plan to arrest people for possession of endogenous drugs, in which case better arrest everyone for possession of DMT.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

AA is actually pretty ineffective. Their recovery rates, last I heard, are better than people trying to get clean by themselves but not by much.

Addiction is very complex and has a ton of causes but that absolutely hits on common cycles of addiction and is something that people fail to understand. The very interesting thing is that most people who take opiates at some point don't get addicted to them. Think about people getting morphine after surgery; most people don't come down with an addiction to opiates and can just walk away and resume their lives once they've recovered. It turns out that a common thread is adequate support; people with good social circles, be they family or friends, that are willing to help them through rough patches, whatever they need, are far, far less likely to become addicts of any type.

However if you have a family that is pressuring you to be successful and telling you that you must accomplish X thing by Y age and why the gently caress do you still work at a restaurant? Is that all you want to be? Get with it, kid. What, you haven't planned out your whole life by 20? You don't want to be a doctor? What the gently caress is wrong with you, loser? it tends to lead toward stress which leads toward addiction.

This is why mental illness also leads toward addiction; that lack of societal support just fucks people up, makes them hate their lives, and they turn to addictions to feel better. It's also why addiction doesn't give a poo poo what social class you are.

Society is one of the biggest barriers to recover too. Once you are an addict society will happily discard you as worthless. It's your own fault; why should we help you?

Trust me, I know all about family pressures and lack of social circles for support. Moving in with your parents after limping to graduation with being somewhat of a loner and having them scream at you in your room for being a failure and having "failed" can easily lead to abusive drinking.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ToxicSlurpee posted:

AA is actually pretty ineffective. Their recovery rates, last I heard, are better than people trying to get clean by themselves but not by much.

[citation needed]

Last I checked, and I'm IN AA and NA, we helped shittons of people who came to us because they could not get sober or clean by themselves.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
The thing with AA/NA isn't so much the program itself, it's that the program gives structure and a group of sober people to hang out with.

Once you start doing drugs, you start hanging out with others that do drugs, and it becomes so much harder to get off of them, because even if you want to stop, you hang out with your buddy and he's offering you a line, and why the gently caress not?

The NA workbook has some good stuff in it, the big book has some good stuff in it, but the biggest benefit to it is the fact that you have some structure and other people to hang out with that aren't using.

And I am one of those people who vomits profusely off of tramadol and (oral) toradol. I give 0 fucks if I'm rxd them, I just need zofran with them. Or a shot in the rear end with the toradol. Just saying, not everyone that comes in claiming allergy with them is lying.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Just as an aside and not disagreeing with anyone, but I think a lot of folks (esp. young guys) don't understand how important social support/influence is to humans, or at least neurotypical humans. Also GIVING social support, which really turns a light on for some people. We mostly buy that, say, solitary confinement would be rough but when it comes to meaningful interaction a lot of people are basically walking around in solitary confinement.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tias posted:

[citation needed]

Last I checked, and I'm IN AA and NA, we helped shittons of people who came to us because they could not get sober or clean by themselves.

Never said they were completely ineffective or totally useless; the fact that AA and NA works for some people already justifies its existence. If it works for some people then hey it can keep working for those people.

AA is for Quitters posted:

The thing with AA/NA isn't so much the program itself, it's that the program gives structure and a group of sober people to hang out with.

That's the big one; one of the reasons that people don't get clean is that, well, if you go to jail and get back out, who are your friends likely to be? Same old users you used to hang out with. It can be hard to get out of that scene if, say, your primary social activity was "go to bar -> get hell of drunk -> do it again tomorrow." Attending meetings forces you to break your routine which is very helpful.

Which is why I say AA is kind of "meh" in its effectiveness; it's a good way for some people to get a support group but it isn't AA itself doing it.

Think of quitting smoking. If literally all of your friends and family smoke good loving luck with quitting but if you quit hanging out with smokers it gets way easier.

But...are you going to just give up all your friends and family that easy?

What if you live in an area where drugs are just kind of everywhere?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tias posted:

[citation needed]

That AA is about as effective as doing it yourself doesn't mean it's effective for the same people.

A 5% success rate or whatever is still helpful so long as it's not the same 5% who succeed alone.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
If there was any treatment with a high chance of success, addiction wouldn't be a big problem, would it?

Addicts seem to use the low chance of success/high religion quotient of existing treatment programs as an excuse to try nothing rather than try everything. Some kind of learned helplessness I suspect, probably from the same issues that pre-dispose them to become addicts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I uh, think people who have a sense of learned helplessness would probably fit right in with AA tbh.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

If there was any treatment with a high chance of success, addiction wouldn't be a big problem, would it?

Implementing a solution is often much harder than finding a solution in the first place.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I can envision a treatment with a high chance of success (outside of the people where it's REALLY progressed, I guess) if you could limit the inpatients to people who have decided they really want to get better and are willing to change/let go. But yeah that's sort of like saying I can cook a delicious dinner as long as the guests are starving. It's going to be a 2 way thing for the foreseeable future; there isn't a FO4 addictol on the horizon.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

pangstrom posted:

I can envision a treatment with a high chance of success (outside of the people where it's REALLY progressed, I guess) if you could limit the inpatients to people who have decided they really want to get better and are willing to change/let go. But yeah that's sort of like saying I can cook a delicious dinner as long as the guests are starving. It's going to be a 2 way thing for the foreseeable future; there isn't a FO4 addictol on the horizon.

I have a friend who "really wants to get clean" but doesn't understand the difference between "wanting" something and taking real action.

We go to the same program, but she does nothing but the barest minimum and acts surprised that she's still miserable. And we have the same teary-eyed conversation every couple days. And nothing changes except how loud she is about how hard she's wishing her problems away.

I've known plenty iterations of that personality type, especially within recovery groups and inpatient treatment,

Personally, I was on fire for sobriety after my 2nd completed inpatient rehab, but I relapsed with in a month (with guys in my halfway house). I limped along for another few months, doing things like moving into a stable environment and reconnecting with my sober [then]partner, working long hours, and (detrimentally) trying to pretend my addiction never happened.

As it were, I didn't understand what I was doing, and I was strung-out soon enough. And this story is anything but rare.

Recovery is absolutely a daily process, replete with intricacies. But too many people are like inept bodybuilders...we get all buff and fit over the course of a couple months, and then we get lazy....soon enough regressing into a blubbering mess.

Recent studies indicate long-term participation in a recovery community correlates strongly with long-term sobriety. Seems simple and obvious, but I attribute much of my past failures to an inability to grasp that concept.

These days, I train my "recovery muscles" consistently. Group/counseling is nearly a daily activity, meditation is daily, my mindfulness practice demands persistence, I think about everything I eat, and so on.

Recovery is absolutely possible. How to convince addicts to "buy-in" to the best, individualized treatment modality is quite another.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Addicts seem to use the low chance of success/high religion quotient of existing treatment programs as an excuse to try nothing rather than try everything. Some kind of learned helplessness I suspect, probably from the same issues that pre-dispose them to become addicts.

Treating addiction is treating the symptom instead of the disease.

One of the issues with AA and NA is that they are played up like miracle cures that can work for absolutely anybody. It's common to force people to go to them after they get out of jail for possession or get a DUI or something. Yes I know this will affect its success rate but AA/NA meetings (where I've lived, anyway) are often tied to churches. At first it starts with "you must find a higher power to believe in" but before long it turns to "by the way we mean God. You can be a Christian or you can get out." That I imagine also factors in with its success rate. I'd be pretty furious if somebody said "yeah hey come to Jesus or you'll fail at being clean."

Which is again not helping; saying you will just go back to using if you don't accept Jesus can be a real self-fulfilling prophecy.

It also doesn't help that actual, genuine rehab isn't cheap.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

pangstrom posted:

Just as an aside and not disagreeing with anyone, but I think a lot of folks (esp. young guys) don't understand how important social support/influence is to humans, or at least neurotypical humans. Also GIVING social support, which really turns a light on for some people. We mostly buy that, say, solitary confinement would be rough but when it comes to meaningful interaction a lot of people are basically walking around in solitary confinement.

I was reading a study today that addiction is associated with poor awareness of others and that, even when an addict is recovering, they are not mindful of how their actions impact others.

The other thing I was reading was on Naltrexone? Why is naltrexone treatment not a standard requirement for release from corrections?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

I have a friend who "really wants to get clean" but doesn't understand the difference between "wanting" something and taking real action.

We go to the same program, but she does nothing but the barest minimum and acts surprised that she's still miserable. And we have the same teary-eyed conversation every couple days. And nothing changes except how loud she is about how hard she's wishing her problems away.

I've known plenty iterations of that personality type, especially within recovery groups and inpatient treatment,

Personally, I was on fire for sobriety after my 2nd completed inpatient rehab, but I relapsed with in a month (with guys in my halfway house). I limped along for another few months, doing things like moving into a stable environment and reconnecting with my sober [then]partner, working long hours, and (detrimentally) trying to pretend my addiction never happened.

As it were, I didn't understand what I was doing, and I was strung-out soon enough. And this story is anything but rare.

Recovery is absolutely a daily process, replete with intricacies. But too many people are like inept bodybuilders...we get all buff and fit over the course of a couple months, and then we get lazy....soon enough regressing into a blubbering mess.

Recent studies indicate long-term participation in a recovery community correlates strongly with long-term sobriety. Seems simple and obvious, but I attribute much of my past failures to an inability to grasp that concept.

These days, I train my "recovery muscles" consistently. Group/counseling is nearly a daily activity, meditation is daily, my mindfulness practice demands persistence, I think about everything I eat, and so on.

Recovery is absolutely possible. How to convince addicts to "buy-in" to the best, individualized treatment modality is quite another.

I think it's a question of resources. By the time someone is an addict, treating them will cost enough that you will have failed to prevent others becoming addicts. If an addict does not buy-in to treatment, spending any resources on attempts to produce buy-in is an absolute waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

I think it's a question of resources. By the time someone is an addict, treating them will cost enough that you will have failed to prevent others becoming addicts. If an addict does not buy-in to treatment, spending any resources on attempts to produce buy-in is an absolute waste.

Half of what you said makes sense.

Putting people who don't want help into treatment is generally pointless. We agree on that.

--------

I'm not really sure what you mean by spending money on preventing people from becoming addicted. Everyone knows drugs are addictive and unhealthy.

Actual prevention is arresting the cycle of substance use, and getting the substance abuser to continue with sobriety (and long-term treatment) before they exact any (more) costs upon society and themselves.