Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I think he's talking about being a ganja farmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

What are the reasons to use? Seems like they all stem from some sort of social failure.

Coincidentally, people seem to fail socially a lot more when they are cut off from resources, support, and safety. Like, when there's a massive recession.

I know, I know, they should move to chicago and/or learn to code.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

deoju posted:

Making something less lethal lets it cause more harm? Got it. What we should be doing is make it more lethal, that way it won't cause any harm. :downs:

See also adding acetaminophen to codeine and similar. You can "discourage abuse" by killing the poo poo out of people.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Rhandhali posted:

That's not why the add acetaminophen to codeine or other opiates. Dying of acute liver failure from Tylenol OD is ugly. Real ugly, and expensive. Like days to weeks of ICU and slow decline plus or minus a liver transplant and a lifetime of followup and immunosuppression.

Lot cheaper to just OD on the opiate, usually.

Although assuming for profit healthcare the former is much more lucrative than the latter.

Is APAP's usage as an abuse deterrent just a persistent urban legend? I mean, a quick google turns up hundreds of lay sources but not a single drug company or journal article saying "we add this so you die before you get a buzz." An opiate user could build up quite a tolerance over time and a neophyte could likely survive a heroic (10x?) dose of hydrocodone etc but the shockingly low LD50 of acetaminophen never changes.

Also, the FDA has been issuing recommendations regarding lowering the amount of APAP in combination pain killers and pharmaceutical companies have responded by introducing new anti-abuse methods such as changing the physical structure of the pills to make them difficult to chop or dissolve. It seems that if the response to a scaling back of APAP in opiates is research into new abuse deterrents then the APAP was there, at least in part, as an abuse deterrent.

I have no horse in this race because I don't know any hopheads, but it seems like such a weird confluence of factors if the combo meds are purely benign.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Spoondick posted:

Every flood starts as a single drop of rain.

For some reason I'm more reminded of Abacus Federal Savings Bank, the only bank indicted in connection to the 2008 mortgage crisis. I suppose they were cleared of all charges, though.