Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

blackguy32 posted:

I wouldn't doubt that a lot of it is related to how competitive hospitals can be. Where I work, we assess pain once per shift and ask about their pain every hour. Hcaps surveys also ask how well pain is controlled and hospital reimbursement is based on the surveys.

This is a big part of it. Running chains of hospitals is now big healthcare business. They meticulously track patient satisfaction scores, pain scores, etc for each doctor. And hospitals themselves are tracked on the same scores by both private sources online and publicly. I know Medicare was considering penalizing you a certain percentage of your reimbursement if your patient satisfaction was too low.

90% of your patients, if asked their satisfaction with their care, would say you're doing a good job, regardless of how well you're doing. They don't know any better. But do you know the number one cause of complaints? Not giving the patient what they want, even if they don't need it, even when it's bad for them.

So when you have 40 patients in your busy ER and you're running from room to room spending 5-10 minutes per patient, and you just need them to go away, are you really going to take the time to sit down and patiently explain to them why you won't be giving them their meds? Or why the patient you're discharging from the hospital can't have "just a little more to cover me until my next refill?" Are you going to risk getting chewed out over easily preventable bad satisfaction scores? No. You'll give the patient what they want. That's, unfortunately, the mindset I see in my collegues. They know there's a problem, but the system actively disincentivizes you to do anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU