Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
As you all may have heard by now, heroin and especially opioid prescription abuse have become an epidemic in America in recent years and has been the subject of numerous news stories in American media as of late. Cases have been cited of doctors redosing patients on opioids even immediately after suffering an overdose, among other worrying concerns.This seems to be especially the case in the Midwest as billboard PSAs and reporting heroin dealers to authorities have been going up.

What are the factors spurring a rise in prescriptions, abuse, and overdoses? I do not have the article and statistics on hand to construct a proper OP on the background of the contemporary opioid crisis but plan on revising this post in the future to make it so.

In lieu of this, please discuss and debate the issues at hand with heroin intentionally cut with fentanyl, doctors overprescribing opioids, the effects of opioids on the workplace, the factors behind and effects of Florida's lax oxycodone pill-mill regulations, and etc.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
[Space reserved for articles/statistics/citations/etc]

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Because of the geographic distribution of overdoses, it seems more likely that strong painkillers are being prescribed for things other than cancer. Workplace injuries related to manual occupations. No one is going to fault someone slowly dying of agonizing cancer for slapping a fentanyl patch on every day, but someone with a moderate strain injury should at least be given weaker options at first. You want to save drugs this powerful for when it's clear there is no other option, because pulling the rug out from under people's feet after prescribing them is probably just going to lead to street drug use.

It's incredibly dangerous how the War on Drugs and "tough on crime" policies have lead to this ingrained reaction of "Oh, you're abusing your overprescribed pain meds that led you into addiction in the first place? Well, gently caress YOU, then, you dirty addict!" and yanking away support and leaving people to rot instead of providing a means to help people through the strains of physical and mental addiction.

The former literally promotes deeper addiction and maladaptive behavior and only increases crime. It's a simple A to B cause and effect here that only serves to satisfy the emotional prejudices of society in shunning and isolating addicts from others. It's like cutting people off entirely from pain medication and their current primary doctor after turning up positive for marijuana or some other drug; it can only do massive amounts of harm to everyone involved.

The cultural stigma around addiction as immoral criminality desperately needs to be changed to a compassionate medical perspective instead. It just takes an entirely different way of viewing things without that emotional baggage that continuous propaganda has built up.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 21, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

My Imaginary GF posted:

I was prescribed some opiates when I had my tonsils removed as a teen, and I didn't become a heroin addict. I don't see why the folk with oxycotin prescriptions can't give up their medication as well as teen me did.

Is this supposed to be a joke or meant seriously? I can't tell with MIGF.

Maybe it started with Reagan and the "welfare queen" myth, maybe not, but in America we have this weird obsession with trying to root out addicts - real and imagined - and ignoring real suffering needing treatment. We'd rather leave a thousand people in genuine need out to dry rather than let one addict possibly abusing scripts go scot-free. :911:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

fade5 posted:

Oh yeah it's definitely an epidemic, I'm just mocking because the cries of how to deal with this drug epidemic are amazingly different from the old standby of "we have to be tough on drugs/lock them up for years", instead it's more treatment vs harsh punishment.

I like the rat park hypothesis that the cure for addiction is not sobriety, but social integration, the latter of which is counterintuitive both on a societal level and an emotional one as well.

It can be genuinely difficult emotionally and socially to be around addicts (my mother is a former alcoholic and tobacco user, while I myself have had issues with substance abuse in the past as well), but I agree that isolating people from others only makes turning to addictive behavior a lot more attractive than the alternative of enduring the raw pain of your negative environment alone.

The solution is to take the path of most resistance and be a constant ally of addicts through the dirt and muck of their life situation and so they don't feel alone and stigmatized in their struggle instead of just leaving them to bootstrap it through.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 21, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It's pretty insidious how the pharmaceutical industry pushes doctors to over prescribe opioids to patients and then society stigmatizes people who end up addicted and have to keep using in order to avoid withdrawals/seizures/dying. It's an incredibly difficult line to walk once you've started down the path of dependency on pharmaceutical drugs.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Have you considered that your addiction may also be straining your parent's relation? Which do you love more, your mother, or your addiction?

Sorry, but addiction doesn't work like this.

It's not simply about making a rational choice of choosing the "love" of addiction over your love for your mother. A number of factors are involved, but simply speaking, it's about being able or unable to engage with life and society. You can be an addict and still love your mother very much, but the shame you feel about yourself and inability to cope with life leads you to withdrawing from life and personal relationships.

I believe in the "Rat-topia" hypothesis that if life/society and personal relationships are there, the need for addiction would be lessened. But our "Bowling Alone" society in America with its emphasis on individualism makes it particularly difficult to feel connected to society and so we end up more vulnerable to addiction and excess to make up for the difference in trying to cope with the stresses and pressures of adult life.

This is why (unfortunately all too common) appeals to social shaming and burden are totally ineffective and in fact harmful. The addict is all too aware of this, it's a big reason why they are driven to addiction in the first place.

e: I also like how you classify "law-abiding citizens" as if they are a different species from Neanderthal-like criminals who behave and think totally differently from other humans and not something that any person can be victim to given the right environment and circumstances. :allears:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 16, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

reagan posted:

I just sat in on a lunch presentation with a Pfizer rep paid physician shill giving a presentation on selling some lovely drug. Expect many more novel drug designs like this in a pathetic attempt to dissuade people getting high as gently caress.

But hey, free lunch.

Why do American pharmaceuticals get away with drug commercials on cable TV and the like? As far as I know, it's a uniquely American phenomenon and a really strange one at that.

You'd think body/mind-altering chemicals with numerous serious side effects isn't something you'd want freely available to wheel and deal on TV commercials.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Toasticle posted:

Because it's a psychopathic 'choice' whether it's being denied relief from pain or just wanting to get high, just give them the loving drug. If someone wants to die because they can't take the pain or it makes their lives less miserable you are hosed in the head if just giving them the drug isn't an option.

The guy I mentioned who lost his arm was suicidal because he was living in constant agony. As soon as he got the morphine pump installed he didn't want to die anymore. Every heroin addict I've known who just wanted to get high lead perfectly functional lives. Had jobs, were happy, they just chose opiates over say alcohol. I knew indirectly some addicts who didn't want to do anything but get high but the number who just wanted to be drunk 24/7 was five times higher. In both cases it was almost always because they had lovely lives and it was their escape. Let them be happy if that's what makes them happy.

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

This is why I don't consider merely being suicidal to be a mental illness for reasons you mention here. It's entirely possible to make a rational consideration of your environment and possibilities and to resort to suicide as your only means of escaping your lovely life situation.

If opportunities for making your life bearable are yanked away by government for "doctor shopping" and "addictive drug seeking behavior" and are subsequently barred indefinitely, you are literally trapped and only have suicide as the only conscious option left to take. It's grim but not limited to the mentally impaired.

E: If you have a felony and jail time for drug possession/use, your employment prospects are drastically reduced for life. Throw in being broke on top of that, and there isn't much in the way of possibilities to living a bearable, let alone an optimistic life and future to look forward to.

Retorting by saying "well, you can always be self-employed/start your own business!" is a cop-out too. What social networking, start-up capital, personal finances, and training/educational resources do you likely have as a junkie? Keep in mind federal loans are cut for any sort drug-related charges anywhere from marijuana to heroin.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 28, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

My Imaginary GF posted:

You could always tend your own garden.

Does that pay the rent?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

If you can afford a spot with a yard (as a recovering addict), you probably will have a commute that requires a well-maintained, insured, registered vehicle.

Which means you need a steady job with decent pay.

There are more than a couple companies willing to take the risk of hiring employees "in recovery." Understandably, though, many of these companies want the applicant to have achieved years of stability.

This puts people in the sort of situation where I am...grinding at a low-wage job that barely makes ends meet. Eventually, I might be able to save for reinstating my license, buy a car/etc, but it's going to rely on my patience, thrift and health...not all of which is solely under my control. Many of my peers can do everything I am, still never escaping abject poverty.

Far too many people get where I am and say, "my situation is arguably worse than when I was strung out! I'm still overworked, stressed and broke...without my dope! I might as well go back to the needle...one last time...gently caress it!" And just that easily, the downward spiral returns.

Without some sort of HOPE or serious mindfulness practice, abstinence-alone is not enough to create meaning and value in people's lives.

I agree and sympathize with your situation. Although I am not an addict, I am stuck with two dead end menial jobs and I'm working on escaping that poverty trap.

I have no patience for people like MIGF who blithely dismiss the complicated factors that keep people trapped in the cycle of poverty, addiction, and suicidality and the hopelessness that accompanies that kind of life.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Quite so. And, worst comes to worst, you can always plant a garden on public land and encamp rent-free near it.

Could you cite this please? I'd be interested in hearing about how people have made this work.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

OwlFancier posted:

That a failure in treatment produces a comparable result in behaviour by sufferers of a different condition would seem to be relevant to the discussion of opiate abuse as it lends credence to the idea that opiate abuse is not a moral failing but rather a social one.

I agree. I think the ED discussion and comparison in outcomes is relevant for this thread, so says I.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
A common thread to addiction and abuse is the depression and self-loathing that comes from the self and the user's relationship with society.

The cycle (in my layman's view) is something like this:

Can't adequately engage with work/responsibilities/goals/self-care -> self-loathing/shame/embarrassment/guilt over inadequacy, leading to -> use and abuse to numb self from these feelings -> more shame and guilt over problematic use, leads to -> deeper use and abuse to numb/deflect from added shame -> deeper spiral of inadequacy due to growing addiction, leading to -> even more abuse in total submission to lack of control -> cycle repeats on and on until jail, hospital, death, or treatment/cycle is broken

Usually the original problem that led to the abuse in the first is not dealt with and continues to fester, putting even more aggravation and strain on the cycle as said problem gets worse.

Note that not just substances can be used for this escapism and numbing, whether it's sex, overspending, overeating, etc. It's about seeking enough pleasure, euphoria, good feeling, or release to avoid the constant torment in the background and can easily become a self-sustaining feedback loop as the shame/inner and outer torment compounds on each other and the tolerance to the pleasure source increases.

E: This is probably also incidentally why AA and its message is most effective for people at the nadir of the addiction cycle. They've hosed everything up and have lost total control over themselves and their lives, so they're most likely to respond to a message of "submit yourself to a greater power/something bigger than yourself," whether that's God, a spirituality, or what-have-you and admitting/coming to terms with being unable to control everything that happens in your life.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 4, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
e: quote is not edit.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

kliksf posted:

The thing is there are people who want to use or abuse opiates they want to get whatever feeling or relief they can get from them. The ting these days with fentanyl is, not unlike with molly, there's a lot of stuff passed around that's sold as one thing, Xanax, vicodin or whatever and people make up bogus pills that are easy as gently caress to OD on.
http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/7th-death-in-Sacramento-County-linked-to-7221177.php
Pretty sure the dealers don't want to kill their customers so much as just give them enough for them to get high/not get sick and then they keep coming back but with fentanyl the difference between a recreational dose and an overdose is ridiculously small. If people are doing pills to get high they may not know if they're getting a "legit" Oxycodone, perhaps stolen from a pharmacy, or a pill made to look like it only instead of 30mgs of oxycodone you get filler and 50 micrograms of fentanyl.

I don't know this for sure, but some shady dealers will have heroin cut with fentanyl and have people end up dying off of it. Junkies end up flocking to them because they hear about people dying and think it's some kind of super potent H. Not sure if this how it works, but it's what I've heard.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

AA is actually pretty ineffective. Their recovery rates, last I heard, are better than people trying to get clean by themselves but not by much.

Addiction is very complex and has a ton of causes but that absolutely hits on common cycles of addiction and is something that people fail to understand. The very interesting thing is that most people who take opiates at some point don't get addicted to them. Think about people getting morphine after surgery; most people don't come down with an addiction to opiates and can just walk away and resume their lives once they've recovered. It turns out that a common thread is adequate support; people with good social circles, be they family or friends, that are willing to help them through rough patches, whatever they need, are far, far less likely to become addicts of any type.

However if you have a family that is pressuring you to be successful and telling you that you must accomplish X thing by Y age and why the gently caress do you still work at a restaurant? Is that all you want to be? Get with it, kid. What, you haven't planned out your whole life by 20? You don't want to be a doctor? What the gently caress is wrong with you, loser? it tends to lead toward stress which leads toward addiction.

This is why mental illness also leads toward addiction; that lack of societal support just fucks people up, makes them hate their lives, and they turn to addictions to feel better. It's also why addiction doesn't give a poo poo what social class you are.

Society is one of the biggest barriers to recover too. Once you are an addict society will happily discard you as worthless. It's your own fault; why should we help you?

Trust me, I know all about family pressures and lack of social circles for support. Moving in with your parents after limping to graduation with being somewhat of a loner and having them scream at you in your room for being a failure and having "failed" can easily lead to abusive drinking.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Would instituting universal healthcare in the US have a positive impact in reducing the opioid crisis in America?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
jabby: as a doctor, do you see Big Pharma in bed with prescribing doctors in the UK as much as we see in the US (i.e. giving away branded merchandise and sample pills, taking doctors out to dinner and lobbying, etc)? Do you get the same barrage of pharmaceutical commercials on TV? Having been to several countries in Europe and Asia, this seems to be primarily an American phenomenon.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

jabby posted:

It's not really an issue over here. As OwlFancier said you can't advertise prescription drugs on TV, so you get less patients coming to you asking for something specific. Pharmaceutical companies are also forbidden to give gifts to doctors (they can provide lunch during a talk, that's about it) and sample pills would be pointless when all prescriptions cost the same under the NHS. We do still get presentations from pharma companies pushing their new drug, but they tend to focus on the research and trying to demonstrate why it's better than what we're doing at the moment. And they do get quizzed at those about how much their drug costs, since we all feel a bit of responsibility to use the cheapest options where possible.

The routine over here is that if a patient is still requiring strong opioids after their surgery, they probably aren't ready to go home. If it gets to a few days out and they are still requiring them, you need to ask what's going on. Even the pain from major surgery subsides surprisingly quickly if everything has gone well, so you don't get too many people complaining.

I don't think people from the UK are any tougher than Americans, but maybe it has something to do with attitudes towards pain from healthcare staff? We try and brace people to expect some discomfort after their surgery, and I have heard various specialist nurses asking patients outright 'What level of pain (from 1-10) would you consider acceptable?' If they answer 'zero' then they get their expectations adjusted. Obviously we want people comfortable, but sometimes stuff is going to hurt and trying to get to absolute painlessness is unrealistic.

EDIT: Actually since you mention it some surgeons are big fans of the idea that opioids make stuff harder to diagnose since they cover up the evidence. A valid point when you are dealing with post-op pain, but a lot of the old guard used to feel the same way about stuff like appendicitis to the point where they actually would complain if the patient got adequate pain relief. Thankfully we are getting over those 'too far the other way' attitudes.

I think a big reason why things go the opposite direction in the US (i.e. Less time in hospital, more prescription pills provided, etc) is because each day spent staying in a hospital is massively expensive for the patient and it's better to get them out of the hospital as soon as possible and everyone knows it. There isn't the same obligation to reduce prescriptions to the cheapest alternative possible as you describe by comparison.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Re: wisdom teeth chat:

I was prescribed 2-4 weeks worth of Vicodin along with Tylenol when I had my wisdom teeth pulled as a teen. I remember that the Vicodin didn't do anything to help with pain and I was disappointed that they didn't "get me high" like other people who I had known who I guess were, uh, enthusiastic about Vicodin's intended effects so I just stick to taking only Tylenol.

The main issue was accidentally knocking the gauze loose and getting blood everywhere in the first few days after surgery and to not gently caress with the stitching in the gums. :gonk:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Nosfereefer posted:

Like I thought it was an exaggeration, but they really hand out opiates and other heavies like they were candy in the US :stare:

[edit] I've had wisdom teeth pulled, and after the local anaesthetic to the gums I was told to take non-prescription pain killers like ibuprofen if the pain got too much. Getting overloaded with opiate based pills which you don't even need seems absurd. Or a junkie's wet dream I guess.

Yeah, but see, if you end up a junkie, it's your fault because Personal Responsibility and Bootstraps and other Reasons. :downs::hf::patriot:

(There really should be a smilie that fuses downs guy and patriot guy into one smilie).

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Well, I just had my first recent sudden death relation due to drugs. :(

It pretty much loving blows.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Glad to see this thread hasn't completely nodded off yet. :rimshot:

Anyways, so what's the deal with carfentanyl? Isn't it said to be some kind of elephant tranquilizer? And didn't we already go through the horrors of fentanyl, why are we ramping it up to 11 with carfentanyl? :psyduck:

I've read some terrifying anecdotes about carfentanyl almost killing people just by being in the room and breathing the air around open carfentanyl. This sounds like a step below anthrax, why would anyone even consider touching the stuff? :wtc:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

pangstrom posted:

That (along with a similar compound) is the stuff the Russians pumped into the theater to resolve a hostage situation in 2002
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_theater_hostage_crisis
not a terrible idea if they had given everyone naloxone afterwards but they didn't so lots of people died

Wait, what???

I thought they used a sleeping gas, not loving carfentanyl. :wtc:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

What is the significance of the exemption specifically? Is it part of the crackdown on pill mills?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BarbarianElephant posted:

It's not much of a step from that to Duterte's "shoot addicts in the head" philosophy.

No kidding, I was about to say the same thing. In the Trump era of America, the prevailing attitude seems to be "nah, gently caress those sub-humans; let's pray they die quickly and quietly so the problem goes away on its own."

What a loving mess of a country. :(

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Fried Watermelon posted:

Do they think people just choose to become homeless?

Yes, absolutely and unironically. That, and obviously those people surely made poor choices in life to end up that way, so they deserve it.

People who think this way are not thinking rationally or logically about the problem; they simply do not acknowledge economics at all and genuinely believe that we are in total control of our actions and choices in life, Just World beliefs and all that.

It's hosed, but you have to comprehend how people 'on the other side' like this view the world and how it works which is totally alien from our own understanding.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 1, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

“Well poo poo, I might get locked up. I’ve seen the error of my ways and won’t use.”*- every addict

*this is the same phenomenon that ended drunk driving

The way I see it, it's like asking a regular human being, "hey, you don't need food! Just choose not to be hungry!"

It's like: no, you imbecile! Your brain recognizes the need to survive on a primal level! Heroin addiction is on an even deeper level than that!

You can't just tell a heroin addict to not choose heroin anymore than they can refuse water or food or oxygen. It becomes part of the instinctual and chemical drive to survive. People just don't get that.

E:

Lote posted:

Work requirements are going to kill people. Medicaid is how you pay for medications.

Technically you can get on disability for addiction but good luck going through that process if you’re actively addicted to drugs or alcohol.

Yeah, when I tried to apply for Medicaid - between inavailability, long queues, extensive paperwork, drug tests, etc the whole system is designed to wear you down to quit before you even apply, let alone the actual evaluation process.

It's by design to give the state plausible deniability that they're providing services while also doing all it can to make the applicant give up. Trust me, I've tried.

America is very clearly not stacked in the common citizen's interest.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I see the thread title has been updated from 2016 to 2018. Has there been any improvements or statistics showing notable trends between addiction rates/opioid prescription/other happenings since then under the Trump administration's proclamation of attacking the opioid epidemic?