Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Hmm.

Sounds like what jail used to be in America, back when rehabilitation was the focus of corrections.

What are the reasons to use? Seems like they all stem from some sort of social failure.

Hahaha. Look at you. Rehabilitation has never once been the focus of corrections. It went straight from warehousing criminals because of the same reasons we warehoused the mentally ill, to warehousing criminals for profit.

Junkies should be treated like the mentally ill and be given appropriate care, since addiction is far closer to a mental illness than a crime (I have issues with the disease model of addiction, since you need far more than the chemical wiring for addiction to wind up a drug addict, you need exposure to a substance to get addicted to and a reliable source for that substance to become addicted, both of which are societal issues...And why you saw higher rates of meth abuse than anything else in the Midwest. Lack of access to anything other than old doctors that grew up on farms and thought that anything less than traumatic amputation to be undeserving of painkillers, and a lack of heroin at all led to it being rather difficult to develop an opiate habit. Now you have doctors like my friend's who prescribe 240 4mg dilaudid a month...i never saw someone become a dope fiend so quickly in my life, and I'm a recovering heroin addict)

As for why people use, there are as many answers to that question as there are addicts. I will say the amount of people who didn't grow up around heroin addicts that jumped right into dope is 0. Everyone I know that did dope either started as a young teenager because their parents/caretakers were junkies or started with an almost always legitimately obtained rx. And it was only after the doc stopped prescribing and after pills became overpriced for them that they switch when presented with the chance.

Some people never wind up with the chance or the need to switch, either because dope is unavailable or because they're never given the need to go through anything but a doctor for their fix.

Bringing back prescription grade heroin and providing safe spaces with a nurse and plenty of narcan and new syringes would do so much to save lives. ODs are overwhelmingly caused by winding up with dope that is less cut (or cut with something like an RC or Fent) than what someone is used to. (Or combining drugs, but frankly you can't stop that one). A standardized potency would reduce ODs, what's left will be treated by narcan, and you eliminate a lot of disease risk...including diseases that don't involve sharing needles but are directly related to iv drug use being so stigmatized, like MRSA and ringworm and tuberculosis, not just hep and HIV. Which is all a net benefit to the healthcare system, since now none of those people would be taxing the emergency system. Ounce of prevention> pound of cure.

There's no way to remove addiction, especially opiate addiction, without also punishing innocent people. There are way too many legitimate uses for narcotics to just not prescribe them. And is it really fair to deny a cancer patient pain control just because their rear end in a top hat neighbor is going to take the leftovers after he dies to make a quick buck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
The thing with AA/NA isn't so much the program itself, it's that the program gives structure and a group of sober people to hang out with.

Once you start doing drugs, you start hanging out with others that do drugs, and it becomes so much harder to get off of them, because even if you want to stop, you hang out with your buddy and he's offering you a line, and why the gently caress not?

The NA workbook has some good stuff in it, the big book has some good stuff in it, but the biggest benefit to it is the fact that you have some structure and other people to hang out with that aren't using.

And I am one of those people who vomits profusely off of tramadol and (oral) toradol. I give 0 fucks if I'm rxd them, I just need zofran with them. Or a shot in the rear end with the toradol. Just saying, not everyone that comes in claiming allergy with them is lying.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

OhFunny posted:

People who have died from overdoses last year in NH was more than triple the amount of those who died in car crashes.

The repeal of the ACA would shut down access for thousands in drug treatment in the state.

http://nhpr.org/post/obamacare-repeal-looming-nh-substance-abuse-programs-watch-and-wait

People also don't realize that they can pay some taxes to the ACA and see people get treatment, or they can pay a gently caress ton more in taxes to have the court system pay for treatment, since there isn't enough room in jails for drug offenders, they instead get to go to halfway houses and treatment on the states dime anyway. It just costs more because there's a lot more overhead with court ordered programs versus voluntary treatment.