Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

My smallish Midwest hometown has been struggling with heroin for the last decade or so. It's predominantly white and middle-to-upper-middle class, so fatal drug overdoses took most people by surprise.

Most folks start experimenting with drugs in high school, and I was one of the last groups to go through the school system there before more exotic substances started showing up. When I went there you could get booze, marijuana, and mushrooms (if you were lucky). When my younger brother went through 4 years later, AD/HD medications and opiods were very common and being recreationally used by students. He and around half of the football team were using oxycontin, and when that pipeline dried up most of them made the switch to heroin.

The first time my brother overdosed I went to pick him up from the hospital, because my folks were out of town. I knew nothing about the changes that had happened, and I assumed he had tried to chug a whole bottle of liquor or something (because they told me he wasn't breathing when the ambulance showed up). When I found out he had been shooting up heroin I was pretty taken aback. He's been an addict ever since high school, and has been in and out of treatment programs for the better part of the last decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU