Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cuzbruz posted:

Does every single topic in this forum have to be seen through a racial lens?

I know, can't we just talk about the opiate abuse problem in normal communities without making reference to inner city drug epidemics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cuzbruz posted:

The whole line of thinking "Nobody gave a gently caress about drug abuse until it happened to white people" reads like it's straight out of /r/conspiracy.

At the very least, the policy responses are... dissimilar.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

People love their opioids. I do diagnostic imaging and I see an awful lot of people with 'fibromyalgia'. I would be surprised if any one of my patients in my entire career that has told me they have fibro genuinely has it.

I went to a college with a girl who had a pretty godawful case!

Stemming from something like a back injury - I don't recall the details anymore, just that it cleared up real unexpectedly after something unfucked the actual physical nervous system.

To probably her ultimate benefit, she also was contraindicated for opioids, so while dealing with her fibro was pure hell at least she came out of it unaddicted to anything.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Albino Squirrel posted:

So, in my part of Canada every opioid prescription (except for codeine and tramadol) requires a triplicate prescription. In my case I will generally tape the triplicate to the actual prescription and fax the whole thing in to the pharmacy. One of my colleagues had his prescription pad stolen, but fortunately it got caught pretty early because the patient in question tried to fill a script for "1 pound mophine [sic]".

I was on call and the pharmacist called me to have a laugh about it, and to 'confirm' that that's the prescription we meant to send. "Oh, sorry, I mean four hundred and fifty-four thousand milligrams."

Well, was it correct?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Only a Sith an engineer speaks in absolutes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Albino Squirrel posted:

I'm going to the American Society of Addiction Medicine conference for my first time this year, and going through the course list like a third of the sessions are "How not to get arrested while prescribing opioids!" or something of that nature. We... do not have sessions like that at the Canadian version of this conference.

:lol: and also what the gently caress, America.

Also the 'advanced' harm reduction sessions are mostly focused around buprenorphine. Suboxone's certainly my first choice, but are there really no safe injection sites in the US? To say nothing of prescription injectables?

your sentences seem to be full of words, and they're individually comprehensible, but ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Albino Squirrel posted:

Sorry, I threw that up between patients and I think I spliced a couple of sentences together.

It's darkly hilarious that one of the lead themes at a conference dedicated to addiction medicine is "not getting indicted," because apparently the DEA is coming after doctors for doing their jobs.

The conference is promoting buprenorphine as 'advanced' harm reduction, when it's really very basic harm reduction. My city is setting up a prescribed injection opioid site (using hydromorphone, it's way easier to access than diamorphine), and my clinic has a safe injection site in the basement.

while I appreciate your elaboration I was being a funnyman and not understanding what was wrong with the American approach and pretending the good ideas were alien