Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Which is exactly the same logic that they used when saying that runaway slaves, outspoken women, lazy servants, communists, anti-communists, unwed mothers, and homosexuals should be locked away. We believe in free will, but obviously no sane person would do that, therefore we need to lock up anyone doing that. What do you mean we're just saying this because they're inconvenient to our social values?

They're just as likely to be right this time. I'm not sure how we can live in a society where dragging a life into existence without its consent is approved, encouraged even, but a consenting adult who decides that they no longer wish to exist is proscribed, and then turn around and say that as a society we value consent. But I guess that's why they have to medicalize it in order to brush inconvenient thoughts about existence under the carpet.

Same goes for Alexander's Rat Park and the idea that some people remain constantly narcotized because their day to day existence sucks, rather than because of some intrinsic evil of the chemical itself. It's as if it's much easier to ban chemicals and institutionalize people than it is to make their lives suck less, because :effort:.

hot take, but consider this: the vast majority of suicidal people literally have a problem with their brain. I'm willing to disrespect the gently caress out of consent if it leads to more living happy people, and stopping people from killing themselves tends to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Ok I think i am misunderstanding you. I am talking about mental illness in general, not just limited to addiction.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Also real fast while a lovely life situation that leads to suicidal thoughts might not be mental illness per se, the neural pathways that you would make in your brain from repetition of these thought patterns will turn a normal brain into a sadbrain.