Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jarmak posted:

That's some impressive levels of selective reading to support a desired narrative, you sure its not an epidemic because of that part that said

Yes. Deaths are going up because it is infiltrating the white community, and thus is a problem. Please don't be willfully dense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Way back at the beginning of this thread, somebody asked what had changed that caused the middle class to start taking more opioids. I agree that the problem is mostly caused by naked profit seeking by the drug companies, but I wanted to throw in my two cents about how corporations have been squeezing the middle class.

My father and I both have solid middle class jobs. Dad is 60 years old, has had a heart bypass as well as a hip and knee replacement from years of hard work. He still puts in 10 to 12 hour days at a stressfull job, often having to work double shifts because they don't have enough managers to cover. He's trying to ride it out till he is old enough for medicare since he needs the company provided insurance to survive.

I won't go too much into my situation, but my department had 5 people when I started. After a buyout by another company we are down to just two people. It's not just coal miners and such. People everywhere are being worn down by companies squeezing out every bit of effciency. Even managers in white collar jobs are being killed by putting in too many hours with not enough sleep. I would absolutly love to go to the doctor and get a few pills for pain and for energy, and while I probably could, I know its a bad idea. Ideally work would not be something that beat me down in the first place.