Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I threw my back out when i was 21. Doc gave me Hydrocodone. I dont even recall the dosage, just that i took a poo poo ton of it for 4 months. Ended up quitting cold turkey and having massive withdrawal. Only worse thing that i ever went through was a crash and burn fever i got with a UTI and Pneumonia ( 107 degree fever ) that hospitalized me for 2 weeks.

That withdrawal was horrible. I thought i was going to die.

Ive told every doctor ive seen since then, i cant touch the stuff. And yet they keep insisting on trying to prescribe those types of things to me. Mind you i have legitimate problems with chronic pain..... i have nerve damage in my right arm from a nasty car wreck that drives me up the wall. But ill be god damned if i ever have to go through withdrawal like that again.

Meanwhile, i have an aunt who worked as a pharmacist for 25 years, who about 2 decades ago, broke her back slipping and falling, and then instead of going to a doctor, she just decided to push through it, working at her job where she has to stand for 8 hours, for the next 4 weeks with a LITERALLY BROKEN BACK. She ended up so permanently hosed up afterwards that she has had a morphine pump ever since. To top it off she also takes oxy and vicodin by the handfuls, as well as adderal to keep from going narcoleptic. She ended up getting fired from her job managing a pharmacy for 25 years when in one of her drug fueled fugues she misprescribed stuff for the upteenth time, and ended up getting removed from being a pharmacist by the state. I imagine if they took her off all that the withdrawal would probably outright kill her.

Ive always found the stigma against addiction really fascinating in a horrific sorta way. My only thoughts as to the roots of this kinda stigma has to go to the opium scares in the early 20th century, as well as the puritanical movements that led to prohibition. Its an easy thing to try and point fingers at anyways. Seems to me the kind of movement that adheres to religious doctrine as fervently as the evangelical movement, would be a pivotal player in that kind of public outcry. The whole body is a temple thing religious people stick to seems to really damnify drugs, alcohol, etc.

I also have to add i find it horrifying that the 12 step program for AA is a religious indoctrination thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU