Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Cuzbruz posted:

The whole line of thinking "Nobody gave a gently caress about drug abuse until it happened to white people" reads like it's straight out of /r/conspiracy.

90% of first-time heroin users are now white, and it's hitting rich as well as poor. There's been a huge shift in the profile of a typical user and scope of the problem over the past decade. The kindler, gentler approach to how it's being dealt with is one of the consequences of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

PT6A posted:

But what's there to be proud of? I moderate my alcohol intake and I quit smoking cigarettes because they're bad for my health and impair my ability to function in society. If those things stopped being issues, the mere fact of physical dependence on a substance and/or addiction wouldn't faze me in the least.

Strangely enough a lot of people don't enjoy getting blasted or want to go out in a drugged out haze, and so there's no appeal to them to go on a huge bender. Also cannabis is good enough for pain management that many prefer it, as they can still be more or less lucid instead of nodding off.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Isn't the best maintenance drug for heroin addiction just heroin? It's ridiculously cheap as a prescription drug*, because it's been out of patent forever and is simple as hell to produce, and the Swiss clinics and the work of Dr. John Marks at his Liverpool clinic shows that giving metered pharmaceutical grade doses to patients gives them freedom from dealers and constantly trying to find ways to come up with cash while allowing them to taper at their own pace. And also drives a lot of dealers out of the area or forces them to resort to more visible dealing that gets them arrested. Which in turn reduces violent crime and gang membership.

*Except in the US, where it is Schedule I and can't be prescribed by anyone, because reasons.

In Switzerland's maintenance program, the average addict only needs treatment for three years before they get clean. Instead, addicts are getting street heroin of unknown purity, often cut with fentanyl, and killing themselves.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

You all should watch Heroin Cape Cod when you get a chance
I know there have been a few articles about the medical profession basically closing ranks and saying they couldn't of POSSIBLY known about the addiction nature of opiod drugs and taht no one should real blame them. Which seems to me they know a massive class action law suit is coming.

I guess another thing driving this is the super cheap nature of heroin at the moment. Last I heard its 5 dollars a hit in New England.

In the 90s, there was a huge push, particularly by Purdue Pharmaceuticals, to market the benefits of opiates to doctors for non-malignant pain management. They had all these studies showing how it was safe, plenty of paid off doctors to shill for it, and in the absence of evidence otherwise doctors went along. I don't think doctors blindly prescribing pain pills today are blameless, but when this started most doctors would have had no reason to question the guidance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwtSvHb_PRk

Pharma has been doing the same with other drugs for decades, pushing profits over patient outcomes.