Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Why do American pharmaceuticals get away with drug commercials on cable TV and the like? As far as I know, it's a uniquely American phenomenon and a really strange one at that.

You'd think body/mind-altering chemicals with numerous serious side effects isn't something you'd want freely available to wheel and deal on TV commercials.

I dunno, I saw Beer commercials all the time when I travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BarbarianElephant posted:

If there was any treatment with a high chance of success, addiction wouldn't be a big problem, would it?

Implementing a solution is often much harder than finding a solution in the first place.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ceiling fan posted:

It's always fun visiting a third world country and talking to locals. Every time the topic comes to healthcare, and I get to listen to someone complain about their horrible experience trying to get care while visiting the US, and why can't you just go to a doctor and a pharmacist and get what you really need to get better like it is here? And all I can do is :shrug:

I'm interested which third world countries you visit that have people regularly visit the US.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gail Wynand posted:

Any of them? There are upper middle class and rich people in developing countries too. They are also the ones most likely to speak English and be able to afford to hang out with tourists.

So the rich have issues with healthcare in the US? That seems strange.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Albino Squirrel posted:

Fun thing about street value: Tylenol #3s go for a couple of dollars a pill up here. Generic acetaminophen/codeine pills of the same strength go for about a dollar. And codeine 30s go for about 50 cents.

It makes no sense to me, because it's the same amount of codeine in each pill. I presume there is some pain benefit to the acetaminophen (and it probably predominates if you're opioid tolerant) but it doesn't explain the 'brand value' of T#3s.

I make it a point to usually prescribe codeine pills, partly because I don't want people overdosing on acetaminophen (which is a horrible death), but also because I don't want my patients selling their pills for coke.

Tylenol's probably more expensive to get, just like how generics are cheaper in a real drug store too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

waitwhatno posted:

Why isn't there stronger regulation of opioids in the US?

Because when we do that, we get heroin outbreaks.