Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The Valuum's thread in A/T has a huge amount of information on drug culture in prison, in particular how people bankrupt themselves and their families trying to get extortionately priced smuggled opiates while in the prison system. It's a great read and a real eye-opener on drugs in US prisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Rhandhali posted:

There was a TCC goon that died of an overdose of Imodium as I recall.

In the middle of watching a movie at the cinema, IIRC.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Any provider with a DEA number can write as many opioid prescriptions as their heart desires with no special training required. Contrast that with the medication Suboxone. If you want to give a patient Suboxone to actually try to control their opioid dependency you need to obtain a special physician buprenorphine waiver, complete 8 hours of training on how to manage patients on the medication, maintain a unique X-DEA number, and treat no more than 30 unique patients with Suboxone in the first year after receiving this waiver. Our system is beyond hosed.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact (from The Valuum's A/T Prison Thread) that suboxone was the drug of choice for prison inmates, since it comes in flat strips and therefore can be smuggled into prison inside of things like letters and birthday cards.

Morbus posted:

So is it at all possible to develop an opioid analgesic that doesn't cause fatal respiratory depression if overdosed? For all the effort that drug companies have put into developing more and better opioids I would think something like this would be a high priority?

Seems like drug companies could be making money hand over fist with something like that, and no one would really give a poo poo how many people were dependent on prescription opioids if they weren't dropping dead so often.

Making new versions of opiods is a pretty bad bet for making money, since there is already an entrenched market of cheap drugs and the FDA and overseas regulators are very fussy about their requirements for any new opiod drug hitting the market. A lot of companies have been scared off since the last few attempts at tamper-proof or alternative opiods were shot down for not providing sufficient value over existing drugs, especially considering that there isn't a huge market for these drugs (at the moment, anyway).

Companies are having better luck with complimentary drugs, like ones that alleviate some of the side effects of opiods like nausea, since that can provide value without having to supplant cheap, established generic drugs at the high price point of a patented drug.

MikeCrotch fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 9, 2016