Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

bartlebyshop posted:

Hopefully this isn't too tangential for this thread.

A recent NYT piece focused on the proliferation of (mostly) unregulated and untested eating disorder treatment centers. Why am I posting this in the opioid thread?

- Opioid dependence and EDs are both highly stigmatized conditions that are hard to treat successfully, partly because sufferers are "doing it to themselves"
- Much like opioids, many people argue that for (some, not all) people with EDs, the ED is a powerful coping mechanism to deal with terrible life situations
- It can be very hard to get insurers to pay for a full course of what we think is the most effective treatment.

A lot of the residential ED treatment centres can be like "vacation time" from the real world (I've heard drug rehab can be like this too). In particular, I thought these quotes:

gave me some real deja-vu to the (Atlantic?) article someone posted about the failure of our rehab industry. EDs actually have pretty high comorbidity with substance issues as well.

Does anyone have policy proposals for how we can effectively evaluate/regulate these sorts of residential programs (for substances or for EDs)? I posted this because I think there is pretty significant overlap in terms of insurance fuckery, lots of money to be made with basically no oversight, and a very weak evidence base.

Why the gently caress are you posting this in the opioid thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

bartlebyshop posted:

I thought I answered this in the post itself? I think there are similarities in the (failures) of the treatment models between both sets of conditions.

This is the opiod thread not the eating diorder thread... Start a new thread maybe?

e:I'm not trying to be a dick, but I want to learn about and see first hand accounts of opiate abuse. Eating disorders likely need their own thread as it, no doubt, has merit. I won't lie, I likely will not read the eating disorder thread because I don't care about eating disorders, but I'm interested in opiate abuse.

That's why I read the opiate abuse thread...

Spacman fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 1, 2016

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Radbot posted:

Woop woop, Sgt Spacman of the Thread Police is here and he's PISSED

I'm quite disappointed that you are not taking my interest in opiate abuse seriously. Opiate abuse is an immense problem effecting hundreds of thousands of humans, I find your blase attitude regarding this issue both offensive and sadening.

e: I won't be so flippant and clarify for you. Opiate abuse is an issue that I see constantly and deal with in my daily life. I really care about opiate abuse, I want to understand the issue so that I, as an individual, can effect change. I really don't care about eating disorders as an extremely tenuous subset of opiate abuse.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 1, 2016