Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
For once in my life, I am going to agree with SedanChair. (I know, the thought makes me hurt physically.)

If you are seriously, unironically, suggesting euthanasia (or assisted suicide) as a solution to the problem of addiction, you are both not serious and an rear end in a top hat. A creepy, terrifying rear end in a top hat.

I am not a fan of "just let addicts be addicted" - I don't think that's a viable option for society. But addiction is a (non-communicable) medical condition, and it is a short step from "kill the addicts" to "kill the mentally ill" or "kill the disabled".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That also touches on questions about do not resuscitate orders or people saying "just let me die." Some people argue that forcing medical care on somebody to save their life is the right thing to do as all life must be preserved at all costs.

In the case of assisted suicide (and, well, the above issue) that's why living wills are a huge deal. If somebody puts it in writing, talks it over with their doctor, signs it, and puts it on file there isn't much doubt. Then you can have it both ways; people who want to stay alive as long as possible can have that while people that want their plug pulled and the processed of dying sped up can have that as well. The most moral thing to do is to let the patient decide for themselves.

Assisted suicide is a biiit different from a DNR, ethically.

In the former case (assisted suicide), you are explicitly telling the medical practitioner to administer or allow to be administered a medical procedure which would result in deliberate harm to the patient as the sole intended effect. That violates every bit of medical ethics there is, going all the way back to Hippocrates - or does "First, do no harm" mean nothing anymore?

In the second case, it's the patient pre-emptively saying "I do not desire or consent to treatment". Much different.