Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
The thing is there are people who want to use or abuse opiates they want to get whatever feeling or relief they can get from them. The ting these days with fentanyl is, not unlike with molly, there's a lot of stuff passed around that's sold as one thing, Xanax, vicodin or whatever and people make up bogus pills that are easy as gently caress to OD on.
http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/7th-death-in-Sacramento-County-linked-to-7221177.php
Pretty sure the dealers don't want to kill their customers so much as just give them enough for them to get high/not get sick and then they keep coming back but with fentanyl the difference between a recreational dose and an overdose is ridiculously small. If people are doing pills to get high they may not know if they're getting a "legit" Oxycodone, perhaps stolen from a pharmacy, or a pill made to look like it only instead of 30mgs of oxycodone you get filler and 50 micrograms of fentanyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
This is a really good documentary on the subject. I posted this in the opiod thread in TCC if I missed it being posted earlier I apologize.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/chasing-heroin/

My take on this is that they did a really good job of showing the desperation and backed-into-a-corner mentality that a lot of addicts have. You have health professionals and cops, families and junkies themselves who are all desperate to do something, anything to loosen heroin's grip. Hiccups in social services, laws and how they're enforced, potency fluctuations and the sheer hopelessness and magnitude of the crisis all help contribute to a sad, lovely feedback loop and the bottom line is nobody has a system or program or treatment plan that works.

Edit: there are some really, really graphic scenes of people shooting up, their faces changing, slamming dope into the neck veins.

kliksf fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 26, 2016

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
Here's a story regarding APAP and Hydrocodone I thought was illuminating:
Back when I worked at a dispensary there was a doctor who wrote recommendations for cannabis and he ended up losing his medical license. The case grew out of a divorce proceeding and apparently at some point while they were married he wrote his wife a total of 4 prescriptions for Vicodin between a Thursday and following Monday. In the records of the hearing that resulted in the revoking of his license it was noted that the amount of acetaminophen prescribed over that short a period of time was enough to expose his patient to liver toxicity and possibly death and was deemed grounds to prevent the doctor from practicing medicine. Nowhere in the proceedings, which were all public record, nowhere was it mentioned that he wrote a script for his wife, nowhere did they mention the controlled substances aspect, either of which I imagine would be enough to cost you your license, but the explicit reason on the web site for stripping the doctor of his license was essentially tylenol poisoning.