Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I have no doubt that opiates are the best option for some chronic pain patients, but I also have no doubt that they're not the best option for a lot of people who are taking that option. And that the pill mill closures are a good thing on the whole, even though things will probably have to get worse before they get better. Opiates are great for end-of-life stuff and (if you can shut the door) acute stuff.
It's not really a bizarre mental block -- the efficacy/safety of other medicines for other conditions is a separate issue. You're right that opiates are actually pretty safe as long as you don't OD/mix with alcohol or benzos, don't infect yourself with a needle, etc. but addicts are at a risk for doing that and it's happening a lot. Not to mention just the usual non-health-related costs of addiction. I've seen you in addiction threads, before, I think? PRETTY sure you were an alcoholic, or addicted to something else, or at least were complaining about how the higher power part of AA was a dealbreaker for you at some point in the way distant past? Either way, you have to reconcile your personal struggle to get relief with the fact that some doctors were in fact pill mills and that people are in fact getting addicted. Well okay you don't have to reconcile anything you don't want to of course, I just mean as a society your story isn't the only one out there and policy has to reconcile these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
One thing that pretty consistently forks opinion in people by the way is if you have visibility into (say) a well-run pain center versus if you have visibility into addiction/treatment centers. I have a lot more of the latter and a lot of people there think doctors are just total loving idiots with the opiate scripts, though it has gotten better.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Toasticle posted:

Alcohol and I guess nicotine are the only two drugs I have problems stopping, haven't had a drink in 10 years at least. The fact that they are legal just makes it that much more depressing. And I've done quite a few other drugs.

And I agree and said the Oxy epidemic was loving evil, I just wish it hadn't led to therefore all opiates are evil. But again, addiction from taking as prescribed is worlds easier to get over than from abuse. If you aren't No Butt Stuff and intentionally abuse them there's no little to no psychological addiction and getting over the physical if you step down your dosage gradually over a few weeks is not that unpleasant (YMMV as always). Baclofen has been found to almost eliminate withdrawal and I can vouch personally that it does. I take 60mg a day and before I moved to mail order refills when I'd get issues with pharmacies I discovered that the baclofen got rid of almost all withdrawal, essentially going from extreme pain to 'this sucks but I'll live" as long as I didn't have an 'attack'. If it worked better as an anti spasmodic I'd drop the opiates in a heartbeat.

Pill mill doctors were defiantly a thing especially where I live (WPB Florida) but before that opiates were not that big of a deal, you could get refills by phone as long as you saw your PCP every three months but thanks to people abusing that to hell and back people who really do need them now have to go through hell. Even though I have alcohol issues I don't think that means other people should not be able to get alcohol but because of people like No Butt Stuff just using them to get stoned for a year people who do actually need them get penalized which is my problem.

Edit: What are your feelings on alcohol and say Paxil? Alcohol withdrawal and benzo withdrawal can actually kill you, most people trying to get off Paxil will say it's months of living hell, forget feeling poo poo for 3 weeks, try 6 months of seriously contemplating suicide. If addiction is the most important factor to consider, why does it only apply to things like opiates when there are dozens if not hundreds of other prescription drugs or legal things that are far worse to kick, that's not even counting things like I think it was a toenail fungus med that had "sudden death" as a possible 'side effect',

Edit 2: Ketoconazole. Side effects are potential liver damage severe enough to require a liver transplant and sudden death due to heart problems. For fungal infections (it has other uses granted) . Pure opiates when not abused you risk 3-4 weeks of feeling like you have a severe flu but are otherwise essentially non-toxic but becaus some people abuse them to get high it's somehow worse.
I'm not a psychiatrist and even if I were my feelings on drugs for other indications would be irrelevant--basically defending GWB by asking about Stalin. I do wonder if marijuana might be a safer first pass option for chronic pain, but I'm sure it's less effective most of the time and there is the legality issue some places. Nobody is saying OPIATES EVIL or that you personally should stop using them, and I'm not getting off on scolding irresponsible hippies or whatever. This is just a festering issue that people saw coming and it's here now, and while I understand the "heh white people" thing, especially when it comes to punishment vs. treatment, it's mostly just a sheer prevalence thing. This isn't car crash death ranges but it's getting surprisingly close
http://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topics/trends-statistics/overdose-death-rates

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 26, 2016

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
If a more treatment-based approach emerges because it's white people now and the government isn't as dumb about this issue now then great. Obviously it's not ideal and it doesn't always or even often go this way, but a lot of former-addicts say jail was the best thing to happen to them. Right now the "kinder" approach has been to clamp down on prescription abuse, and while I am for that and I'm sure some other former-addicts say THAT was the best thing to happen to them it's just going to make a lot of addicts hustle harder or turn to heroin.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Is there a story where for some (say, emergency) surgery the anesthetic didn't work because the patient was an opioid addict? It seems like that would happen.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mercury_Storm posted:

If so I wonder how the main subject in the doc is coping now.
Looks like he's dead.
http://www.nopetaskforce.org/memorial.php?id=557

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Ytlaya posted:

This kind of scares the poo poo out of me as someone on suboxone (which not only gives you a tolerance to opiates, but actively blocks other opiates). While I carry a card in my wallet that is intended to notify people of this, the amount of opiates that would be required to be effective is so huge that I imagine doctors would be hesitant to use them even if they knew about the suboxone. I just try not to think about how hosed I would be if I got in a serious car accident or something.
After googling a bit, guessing the stories don't really exist because opioids are not really used (or leaned on that heavily) in standard anesthetic cocktails and presumably the anesthesiologists know how to minimize risk in cases of uncertainty. Sounds like there are things to be concerned about but it's mostly pain after surgery.

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/im-on-suboxone-can-i-have-surgery/

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Hardawn posted:

I've been on suboxone/zubsolv for almost three years and I loving hate it. I'm such a fool for listening to my brother and the super nice doctor he worked with to bump me up the waiting list to be one of the 100 patients he could prescribe buprenorphine/naloxone to. I only stayed in rehab for 9 days before my insurance denied the claim, stating "me being there wasn't a necessity" even though I had a needle habit for 13 months and a nasal habit for a year and a half before.
So I had almost 15 days clean of everything and was feeling fantastic then I see the doctor, and he recommends subs to help keep me off. I agreed without understanding the long term, and at the time suboxone was being prescribed as a short term solution, then I realized we never had any discussion regarding getting off, so after that I was determined to at least try to take less over time. I never really took above 12mgs which is 1 1/2 of a sublingual strip. Getting onto suboxone was the biggest mistake in MY recovery. withdrawal from heroin sucks, but when I went to my brother first, we went to a GP and he prescribed me a medicine to lower my blood pressure and an anti-nausea medicine and I had the easiest withdrawal I've ever had in my life. I was fully truthful and got excellent care to ease me into being opiate free. It's not good that the stigma of abusing/addiction keeps people away from getting the early help. I definitely kept preferring to not be judged by my dealer than to be forever branded a junkie in my medical files when I wasn't visiting the doctor to aquire pills.

Just another thought, heroin still isn't exactly popular or cool, at least in my experience interacting with other recreational drug users. Pills are cool, heroin is strong as gently caress and a fraction of the price. Plus it has a seeding introduction system that older junkies cultivate new junkies who have fresh money. I didn't actually get my dealers number until my "friend" was wanting to get high so bad I had to go pick some up and drop a needle and spoon off at the cracker barrel.
How impaired are you on that stuff? I've heard very different things, some of which is dose etc. but some of it just seems to be idiosyncratic or something. Seems everyone agrees tapering and getting off it is a really difficult, though.

Maybe somebody can give a better summary, but for people who don't know much about this: With opiates there is an abstinence school of thought--Dr. Drew is probably the most visible face of this--and then there is a harm reduction school of thought. Well some of the harm reduction stuff is uncontroversial (giving needles etc.), but the place where they diverge is the maintenance drugs like methadone and suboxone. It's mostly a high risk/reward and high investment (abstinence) vs. a safer but less-ideal outcome (maintenance) issue. Even Dr. Drew thinks that people with awful problems and complicating factors should consider maintenance, or at least he does now that a bunch of his former patients are dead. On the other hand, maintenance drugs can be seen as a little "expedient" from the practitioner's or the system's standpoint, sort of a like a battlefield surgeon who just amputates limbs. There is a good chunk of harm reduction practitioners who wouldn't give those drugs to their own kid if the kid was in the same situation as Hardawn was, is what I'm saying.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Vancouver is trying something similar. Maybe Canada and Europe can figure it out so that it works so well the US can come up with enough cover / attitudes can change enough to do something similar here. The success of the taper is the hard part... like if you're a betting man and somebody says they're starting to taper, put your money on relapse.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Guavanaut posted:

Definitely, it's not easy. But the raw stats from John Marks's study shows that a generous compassionate heroin maintenance has better outcomes than other opioid maintenance while reducing ODs, drug dealing, gang violence, theft and robbery, and HIV transmission.

And then they shut him down under DEA pressure. :ughh:

It's a bit like the wet house programs for homeless people with alcoholism; we know enabling alcoholism is a bad thing, but pragmatically wet houses, compassion, and optional recovery seems to cause less overall suffering and sometimes better results.
Yeah I really elided over those aspects of addiction in an earlier post. Just giving the stuff out fixes so much violence and theft etc. that in the wide view it is a no brainer. Totally agree that we should keep the default outcome as the context... Like yes this is imperfect but it is way better than the alternatives.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Reading his first 20ish posts in that thread (which is really good) I was pretty surprised when I clicked on his profile to see he's still posting, or at least was as of a few weeks ago. Opiate addict who is not a fan of rehab and is white-knuckling after getting out of prison, that's what people call a bad fact pattern.

edit: Okay should have actually read a few posts further back, sorry, seems like he's okay at least.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 29, 2016

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

the great deceiver posted:

I was a heroin/opiate addict for almost a decade and ended up doing 3 years in federal prison for dealing. Rehab was worthless and 12-step programs were a crock of poo poo. I've been off dope for almost 4 years now and I hate to say it but what turned me around was going to prison.
So as a policy issue, i.e. beyond your personal experience, would you recommend prison for other addicts over rehab/12-step stuff?

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Another new documentary that focuses on fentanyl prescriptions for non-cancer patients and street heroin cut with fentanyl. Around the middle, it goes into some of the scummy practices used by companies like Insys to get people with mild pain using their product. They had someone who was told to say "uh huh" on the phone to insurance companies when asked if the patient had cancer, the only disease that guaranteed it would be covered, because "uh huh" doesn't count as "yes" and they couldn't be held liable. Another company put out an ad with an old man sucking on a fentanyl lollipop like it's no big deal and was forced to pay out millions of dollars.
Thanks for the tip, will watch tonight. That "uh huh" thing would be implausible if you put it in a work of fiction.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I mean, social services are going to be basically treatment. When I hear that stuff sucks the next question is "was this voluntary and how much were you invested" because if not yeah that's a tough putt even if most addicts were not some flavor of antisocial, though I'm interested to hear what you didn't like about them. A lot of programs aren't great.

Thread-relevant news
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/obama-asks-for-1-1-billion-to-fight-opioid-and-heroin-abuse/

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

the great deceiver posted:

I'm not saying they don't work at all but they definitely don't work for some people. They take a very cult-like approach towards the whole issue, basically saying that they are the only way to get clean and if you leave you'll be back on the streets using. If you're not using and aren't in meetings they say you are a "dry drunk" and it's just a matter of time until you use again. I left and have been off dope for almost 4 years. They honestly feel like a relic of a time when society did not understand addiction at all, mostly because that's exactly what they are.
Yeah AA has a lot of that, for sure, my dad basically thinks that way and is strident about it in a real off-putting way. Other treatment perhaps less, but yeah they're "treating" something so the notion definitely isn't that everything boils down to not-using. That view of addiction is the relic, in my view, the "just stop / say no" etc.

There is a notion out there that a lot of "real" addicts have a gnawing something that, once it's consistently fed, never goes away solely by dint of not feeding it. It's unclear to me if the "real" addict distinction is a convenient post hoc thing, but the place I do go to the mat for the AAs and rehabs etc. is the reason a lot of people complain about it is IMO exactly why they could benefit from it. They need to get over themselves, not in like an adolescent shoulder-shruggy way but in a fundamental way where they can rebuild the capacity to regulate their emotions and have relationships with other people. It's going to be uncomfortable and social stuff always has some hokey kayfabe attached and yes, there is an underlying assumption that the people walking in the door could use some improvement. If you feel good in your own skin and have good friends and aren't using then by all means skip it.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
An LA-area doctor who was egregious about profiting off pill prescriptions (knew her patients were addicts or dealers, had people travelling to come to her, helped work the system to get people pills, got calls from the coroner, etc.) got sentenced to 30 years.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-doctor-murder-overdose-drugs-sentencing-20160205-story.html

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I haven't watched the new frontline yet, but I will when I get a chance
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/chasing-heroin/

Ytlaya posted:

Zero impairment in terms of ability to function or think or anything like that. I think that most people who are predisposed to becoming opiate addicts tend to not be very impaired by them unless they take huge doses (for example, I've never had some of the symptoms, like nausea, that other people mention on opiates, even before becoming addicted). But I feel zero excitement or enjoyment or anything like that on suboxone. It's like my brain doesn't produce much dopamine anymore or something.

Maintenance drugs are useful in certain situations. They're generally a good idea if the addict isn't ready to quit (and quitting will invariably fail in the long term if it isn't something the addict is truly committed to), since they allow a lot more stability than using other drugs and remove the risk associated with using drugs off the street. This is mostly due to the fact that suboxone only needs to be taken once a day, compared with having to use most other opiates every few hours. And some people are able to feel totally normal on suboxone (I'm unfortunately not one of them, due to the lack of pleasure/happiness I mentioned above), so if you're one of those people it can often be a good idea to just stay on suboxone for the rest of your life, particularly if you're old.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to get permanently clean. I can deal with acute withdrawal, but I've always experienced extremely bad PAWS. It's not the depression or anything that gets to me; it's more that I am completely incapable of resting both physically and mentally and perpetually have this feeling of physical discomfort. I can't sleep without (strong, prescribed) chemical assistance, and even when I do it doesn't feel restful. Feeling unrested and uncomfortable 24/7 with no respite ends up driving me crazy after a while. All I can think about is how much I want to be able to just feel comfortable and rest my body. It's horrible and I don't know if I'll ever be able to deal with the year+ of those symptoms that will be necessary for me to fully recover.
Yeah, this is a place where, from the outside, people's imaginations usually fail them. People think it's like not eating a cookie or working on a Saturday or something.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
With the AA group stuff you can usually find an OK group if you are in a medium sized town... maybe a large sized town if you are in an area full of folks with worldviews opposed to yours. To pile on a little, though, a lot of groups are toxic not for philosophical reasons but just for generic semi-leaderless group psychological reasons. They get a few strong and terrible personalities who are know-it-alls or 13th steppers (hit on new members) or whatever else.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Posters can do what they want of course but I humbly suggest skipping over the MIGF posts and the social cleansing talk.

CDC released some guidelines, which I haven't read yet, but from the article gist they sound reasonable to me. For other opinions you can see the comments!
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/16/health/cdc-opioid-guidelines.html

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I don't think they're off the table, they just aren't the first thing on the table. Agree that this is bad news for people for whom all-told it's the least bad option but, again, for every one of those stories there are a lot of a different story and ultimately it's hard to tell which person is which story, and even those people have friends and family and live in the society with everyone else. I totally agree with that categorical statement re: chronic pain outside of the usual caveats. It really should be the last-resort option there, and if you have a better objective summary of available evidence feel free to lay it on us.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 16, 2016

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Seems like the H-Bomb is moving aside for the F-Bomb with all the Fentanyl deaths.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
On some podcast Tom Arnold mentioned he got in a motorcycle accident and while he was lying on the highway with a broken back his first thought was "sweet, I'm going to get morphine." And IIRC correctly he was in recovery for cocaine at the time and had just started/was in denial about the opiates. Pretty tough putt for the heath care provider when that's what's coming in the door.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
This is going to vary by situation and the doctor, but how often do you suspect the person is an addict, how often are you like pretty sure, and how often are you basically positive?

Also, it's a small thing and I roll my eyes a little when people talk about stigma as like a primary cause of addiction but I want to just protest "love to" in front of the "game the system". You already know this since you're talking about projecting etc., but a lot of people don't get that addicts are capital-D Desperate and their thinking is broken. They're going after drugs like a starving person would be after food, eating rotten rats, etc. It doesn't make them noble or anything but they're not trying to get one over you, and it's AT BEST a huge hassle, but they're just doing what they do.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I think it's more a function of there not being other potent opiate options in Russia, though the situation may have changed I don't know.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Just as an aside and not disagreeing with anyone, but I think a lot of folks (esp. young guys) don't understand how important social support/influence is to humans, or at least neurotypical humans. Also GIVING social support, which really turns a light on for some people. We mostly buy that, say, solitary confinement would be rough but when it comes to meaningful interaction a lot of people are basically walking around in solitary confinement.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I can envision a treatment with a high chance of success (outside of the people where it's REALLY progressed, I guess) if you could limit the inpatients to people who have decided they really want to get better and are willing to change/let go. But yeah that's sort of like saying I can cook a delicious dinner as long as the guests are starving. It's going to be a 2 way thing for the foreseeable future; there isn't a FO4 addictol on the horizon.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Every country sees way less opioid abuse than America but we're starting to get our act together. It will get worse (or at least stay really bad) before it gets better, though.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's a troll folks, use the ignore feature it's not that hard.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Frontline has a nice "storycorps-lite" kind of thing that is an interesting read

http://apps.frontline.org/heroin-stories/

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Albino Squirrel what proportion of your maintenance patients would you estimate have gotten off opiates, sub-setting however you want to (within X years, or among those who really wanted to, etc.)?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Looking like opiates probably played a role in Prince's death.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I mean, it's a legitimate risk in the abstract but addicts are already dropping left and right once they touch fentanyl so I don't know if W-18 floating around really changes much in practice.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, sorry. Maybe somebody can spell out the specifics with data, but the deaths usually involve taking other depressants (esp. bezos) or, less commonly, just taking too much, either because there is fentanyl in it and/or because it's a relapsing and tolerance is down and/or because they just push it.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The "this life" podcast (Dr. Drew, Bob Forrest) had Bruce Heischober as a guest and the first half they talked about the practical factors involved with opiates and the healthcare system. They have a range of opinions and experiences and it was interesting.
http://podbay.fm/show/1058592078/e/1463424987

The second half is less thread-relevant and more about Carolla-land.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
My friend is a psychiatrist and multiple well-to-do parents of his son's friends have broached the topic with him; he says usually they start with a "kidding" move and then a less kidding question. He just says "I don't prescribe opiates" pre-emptively now .

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

PT6A posted:

Why would a psychiatrist prescribe opiates? Or do you mean as part of a treatment program for someone who's already addicted?
He doesn't / wouldn't, but people ask. There are some fringe-y treatments for anxiety and mood disorders and yeah maintenance from an addiction specialist would be the only typical situation as far as I know.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
He was just MIGFing. Short of real smoking gun negligence evidence--which you aren't going to get out of a celebrity bunker often--opiates for chronic pain, while a demonstrably bad option, isn't itself illegal.

Edit: didn't know it was fentanyl, that's more egregious but not sure if that's beyond the pale legally speaking or not.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 3, 2016

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Sounds great but so far the doctors who have gone to jail for opiate prescriptions are Dr. Tseng and... nobody else as far as I know.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Well 50ish people a die a day in the US from opiate ODs so without evidence that he was awful beyond what we already know I'm not going to bet that Prince's doctor is going to be the second drop. It seems Prince was less a "junkie" and more backed into it later in life with chronic hip pain. Those stories can and often do end the same way but that's a lot more cover for his doctor.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Total aside, but there is a pattern in people with relatively "good sobriety" (in AA parlance) where if they relapse with a different drug it's in part because they tell themselves "well I'm not a <different drug> guy I'm a <drug I had a problem with> guy."

Total aside because if a drug does nothing for you it does nothing for you, not calling that into question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah oxy was similarly pitched as a "less addictive opiate", and a bunch of new opiate drugs or drug combos are abuse resistant, and there's the anti constipation Super Bowl ad etc. For profit pharma isn't always going in a great direction.