Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
This is very slow motion, even by political football standards, but maybe we'll have 4 safe injection sites in NYC at some point. Things that happen really slowly have a knack of never actually happening, though.
https://www.politico.com/states/new...timeline-400200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

deoju posted:

I don't even know where to start with this.
Yeah, same. Wish the reporter countered the "2% of prescriptions" (which is insane metric when the denominator is ALL OTHER PRESCRIPTIONS) with "but it was X% of company's revenue", at least. I'm guessing X is in the high 90s, unless their not-unrelated laxatives are super popular.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I know this would just be nibbling at the edges for various practical reasons even if it "worked", but: is there a consumer version of a ventilator mask that people could just strap on before they shoot up, or is intubation necessary for that approach?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I meant so people could pre-emptively (and hypothetically) treat the respiratory depression if/when they OD.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The DEA (who were almost certainly the drivers, there, they just got DoJ to sign on to make the legal parts clear) are basically in that "salary/purpose depends on not understanding" zone when it comes to drug policy.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
What Toxic Slurpee said is totally true. The problem with the "prescriptions not driving" take is the base rates. You give ~58 prescriptions for every 100 americans and, even with low addiction "hit" rates, you've got an epidemic. The control group is the rest of the loving world.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I mean, maybe. Doing the global comparison thing again, it's hard (for me at least) to say the US is worse than the global average in an individual despair sense.

edit: I should say THAT MUCH worse. Like, put addiction/OD deaths per capita vs. suicide deaths per capita (or something similar you think makes sense).

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 10, 2018

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
What country are you proposing even gets close, fishmech.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

fishmech posted:

I'm trying to ask what's being measured with that number in the first place, dude.
I'm trying to ask which country would even come close regardless of how you measure it, dude.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Captivating but also deeply sad, at least to me:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/11/us/overdoses-youtube-opioids-drugs.html

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
it's basically what you imagined going on anyway but: for profit healthcare, ladies and gentlemen
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/15/health/sacklers-purdue-oxycontin-opioids.html

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The first story on This American Life is predictable but affecting. It is about the podcast Dopey.
https://www.thisamericanlife.org/667/wartime-radio

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Just an aside, but: an infectious disease podcast I listen to ("A Gobbet o' Pus", gross name yes) is mostly just quick case studies of exotic infections. Last couple of years it's had a lot of cases of opioid addicts giving themselves infections humans "shouldn't" get by mixing their drugs with tap water or worse before injecting them -- one guy thought dog poo poo might be black tar heroin.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Most experts (like actual experts who care, not like ideological appointees or retail politicians) agree that would be the right approach. But locals in middle class and wealthier areas still control what happens in their little neighborhoods, most people still view drug use in primitive moral terms, and safe injection sites poll like hell in the US. So a lot has to change for that to happen.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Not taking that dumb KingEup bait other than to say yeah Scotland is different. It's had a ton of opiate use for a long time, the spike in deaths is mostly due to benzos showing up in force and maybe in smaller part fentanyl increasingly getting into the street opiates. Agree that decrim, injection sites, and maintenance for at least the real bad cases etc. are the best way options out.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I don't know, and the addict's choice obviously matters. Just acknowledging that it can be a little "expedient" in that yeah it often keeps people alive and functioning but it's not where you'd ideally want things to end, it's hard to get off, and a clinician probably wouldn't give it to their kid unless they were real bad etc. So I that's why I said "at least" the real bad cases.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Reminds me of something Denis Johnson would write. It's very good.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Interesting slice of life piece from a Ohio high school class of 2000.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/12/02/us/opioid-crisis-high-school-teenagers.html

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Thread's been dead for a year, I'm sure convo has moved to another one, but drat the latest fatal OD counts are brutal.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am up in New England and I think the pandemic sucked all the opioid stories out of the air. What's the number?
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/drug-overdose-data.htm
over 100k April 2020-April 2021, over 75k opioid, though that's tricky obv... Saying definitive things about cause of death / related statistics involves a morass of issues so you can argue on the edges in "good faith", you can semi-plausibly lie (lot of this in COVID denialism, e.g. The Ethical Skeptic), you can do all sorts of things... but the forest here is lots of OD deaths.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Aside but there is a podcast called "Hooked", basically the story of opiate addict Anthony Hathaway who goes from pain pills to heroin, starts living out of car with his also-addicted son, loses his job at Boeing, and then starts robbing banks. The writing/narrator Josh Dean IMO sort of drifts between being decent and sucking, doesn't "get" addiction, resorts to morality tale frames etc. Hathaway's own words are much more interesting, though, even though he is clearly euphemistic about some aspects of the robberies. Anyway, I think the 8th and final episode hasn't been released, and I'm not optimistic about it creating much understanding (yet alone empathy or decent policy recs) but it's kind of a hit as podcasts go might be worth listening to just as like a temperature check.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hooked/id1592401710

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
yeah it was a great post. Aside but it struck me that those conditions are 1) very hopeless and 2) still marginally better than what a doctor in Philadelphia or West Virginia etc. has to deal with.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
hey, good. Where I live in NY all the older folks (esp. the older Italian-Americans) are losing their minds about weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/29/opinion/opiate-fentanyl-epidemic.html
Covers a lot of territory with not a lot of paint but gist is I think through just through dint of social channels that have been qualitatively similar since caveman times (even if many transmission media are new) opioids look to be in a self-limiting phase, in the US at least. A coherent, moral policy response would have been nice, though!