Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cugel the Clever posted:

Watching the Frontline episode on the Opiode epidemic and it's reaffirmed my sociopathic unpopular opinion that these social programs should be offering to put the junkies out of their suffering. Would save everyone involved a lot of pain, time, and money, plus eliminate the huge externalities these people have on the community around them that the documentary apparently didn't care to talk about.

What in the wasteful, murderous gently caress? I guess we could just improve the law and medical practice, or we could, you know, go all Aktion T4 about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Grundulum posted:

I focused on the word "offering" in Cugel the Clever's post. Assisted suicide is its own can of worms, but it is less outrageous than the euthanasia that Sedanchair and Ytlaya read it as.

How is it not euthanasia? You can "offer" euthanasia. In any case how ridiculous to even dignify it with your careful mitigation. Addicts don't want to die, if they did they know how to do it. Their "suffering" is a product of a system that withholds their drugs.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

So, you don't live in a vacuum. I assume your parents interact with individuals other than yourself. Do you think that their emotional response to your addict impacts any of their other relations? I'd imagine it'd be quite stressful to work full-time while knowing that you have a sick child. Your first instinct would be to turn down opportunities, such as working late in order to earn a promotion, so that you could be home and ensure your sick child doesn't overdose themselves.

Have you considered that your addiction may also be straining your parent's relation? Which do you love more, your mother, or your addiction?

For law-abiding citizens, it's an either-or issue. If you cared about your mother, you wouldn't be so afraid of withdrawal. That's a moral weakness, and America cannot abide weakness.

there are limits MIGF, this is well beyond them

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cugel the Clever posted:

As others aptly stated, assisted suicide ≠ forced euthanasia. You can improve law, medical practice, and offer those who wish it a safe, easy way to end their suffering. Whether it is addiction, another illness, or even just old age, assisted suicide empowers people to take control and end their lives on their own terms. Come now SedanChair, I never expected such conservatism from you!

Of course, the question of whether the individual is able to provide meaningful consent remains salient, but that's resolvable.

gently caress you. You just want junkies to die so you don't have to think about them.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm honestly surprised to find that assisted suicide is controversial on SA. As ToxicSlurpee stated, it's not a service that is provided on a whim to someone who's at a low point. A mandated waiting period plus some measure to ensure the individual is competent to make the decision for themselves would make sense.

Society needs to be more death positive, in general. Without the stigma around it, choosing to end your life on an up-note in the presence of friends and family would be a welcome option for no few individuals struggling with a terminal illness or chronic/severe disease. Either way, this is a bit of a derail I didn't expect to have to defend.

It's not controversial with me, it's just the most irrelevant cause imaginable to apply to the opiate addiction crisis, and comes from your sadistic motives.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah when you're talking about saving "time and money" you are not talking about the well-being of the person who would be "given the option" of a mercy killing. That's the height of unethical medical practice.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

I dunno, I saw Beer commercials all the time when I travel.

That would actually be great if beer commercials had to have long spoken disclaimers about side effects, including addiction, spousal abuse and death.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If being suicidal is not mental illness, nothing is. And maybe nothing is, but that strikes me as something of a separate debate.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Those examples are just clouding the issue. Euthanasia for the terminally ill or quadriplegic is a separate matter from people who have their whole lives ahead of them. Drug addiction, homelessness, ostracism, suffering the effects of personal and systemic racism: these are all barriers to functioning that some respond to with suicidality and others not. It is reasonable to respond with clinical tools to those who are struggling with it. Hence the imperfect but sufficient term "mental illness."

e: and yes, if a quadriplegic is suicidal it would be unethical for any clinician or service provider to treat it any differently than when an able-bodied person is suicidal. Y'all are just gagging to fire up the lethal injection bus huh?

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cugel the Clever posted:

Congratulations, you're one of the semi-literate, try-hard "Woe-Is-Me"-ers :newfap:

Yes, it's all trying harder than Mr. Come Into The Thread With A Radical Idea About Killing Addicts.