Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

pangstrom posted:

Reading his first 20ish posts in that thread (which is really good) I was pretty surprised when I clicked on his profile to see he's still posting, or at least was as of a few weeks ago. Opiate addict who is not a fan of rehab and is white-knuckling after getting out of prison, that's what people call a bad fact pattern.

edit: Okay should have actually read a few posts further back, sorry, seems like he's okay at least.

I was a heroin/opiate addict for almost a decade and ended up doing 3 years in federal prison for dealing. Rehab was worthless and 12-step programs were a crock of poo poo. I've been off dope for almost 4 years now and I hate to say it but what turned me around was going to prison.

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned that I have noticed as a major contributing factor is the rise of black tar heroin. Back in the heyday of Oxy most addicts seemed to be smoking their pills. Black tar, as opposed to powder, was able to be smoked just like Oxy so it was a much easier transition to make than popping a pill right to hitting a needle. A lot of people who I think otherwise would never touch heroin are surprisingly ok with smoking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

pangstrom posted:

So as a policy issue, i.e. beyond your personal experience, would you recommend prison for other addicts over rehab/12-step stuff?

Good god, no. That was just what did it for me, locking up opiate addicts is a loving retarded policy. I just got to a point in my life where I was done with it. As described in The_Valuum's thread it is incredibly easy and common to get heroin in prison and most addicts keep on using while inside. In an ideal world the best policy imo would be legal prescriptions of clean heroin to addicts while also directing them to healthy and robust social services that will assist them in getting clean and getting their life in order if they so choose. We all know that will never happen in the US though.

edit: one thing that I think most posters here know is that you cannot legislate addiction away. That became extremely clear to me during my ordeal with the justice system. The only way to effectively tackle it is harm reduction/damage control.

the great deceiver fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 4, 2016

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

pangstrom posted:

I mean, social services are going to be basically treatment. When I hear that stuff sucks the next question is "was this voluntary and how much were you invested" because if not yeah that's a tough putt even if most addicts were not some flavor of antisocial, though I'm interested to hear what you didn't like about them. A lot of programs aren't great.

Thread-relevant news
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/obama-asks-for-1-1-billion-to-fight-opioid-and-heroin-abuse/

I'm not saying they don't work at all but they definitely don't work for some people. They take a very cult-like approach towards the whole issue, basically saying that they are the only way to get clean and if you leave you'll be back on the streets using. If you're not using and aren't in meetings they say you are a "dry drunk" and it's just a matter of time until you use again. I left and have been off dope for almost 4 years. They honestly feel like a relic of a time when society did not understand addiction at all, mostly because that's exactly what they are.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Hardawn posted:

I wouldn't really consider AA yo be an indoctrination program. Are there groups that become more zealous than others? Probably. But the actual steps are more self reflective than the pray the gay away approach

I didn't find that AA/NA were trying to indoctrinate religion so much as they were trying to indoctrinate you with their own skewed, cult-like understanding of addiction.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

My Imaginary GF posted:

Manufacturers should be able to buy back their products, in order to re-sell them at a lower price point.

Is it illegal to give away drugs to manufacturers? I don't see how implementing a rewards program like a Japanese pachinko parlour wouldn't help to get drugs off the street while lowering the budget deficit by allowing medicare/medicaid to negotiate for "used" drug prices.

Hell yeah sign me up for the Purdue rewards program