Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

A big flaming stink posted:

hot take, but consider this: the vast majority of suicidal people literally have a problem with their brain. I'm willing to disrespect the gently caress out of consent if it leads to more living happy people, and stopping people from killing themselves tends to do that.

You're just an anti-death bigot.

EDIT: To elaborate, I think the rhetoric defending the right of non-terminally ill people to kill themselves as some sort of good and noble cause is pretty bizarre. At best it's a loving tragedy, something you should support reluctantly, not something to compare to the civil rights movement or gay rights.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Can you find a less obviously stupid argument than the constant comparison of people who want suicide to gays and communists? People didn't imprison those people because they wanted to save their lives, they were imprisoned because they were despised by society. If you think trying to stop suicide is comparable to trying to "cure" homosexuality or force someone out of a political ideology I don't know what to tell you.

Guavanaut posted:

We've seen how much good throwing addicts into prison does at creating more living happy people.

You know what else tends to be bad at creating more living happy people? Literally killing them. Like I understand that determining when to commit people to a hospital for mental issues is a very tough issue but to say that just letting them die is more humane defies comprehension. Do you not view death as an inherently bad thing? That's the only way I can start to make sense of your view here.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

OwlFancier posted:

It manifestly isn't in many people's view otherwise they wouldn't kill themselves.

There is a difference between saying "euthanasia as a first resort is loving stupid" and "we should try as hard as we can to prevent people killing themselves by all means we have available"

Because what almost invariably happens is you end up in a position where suicide is discouraged but the conditions of living are not improved. There is a rather stark disconnect with how people direct their concern towards the suicidal, living in misery is afforded far more leeway than actively trying to kill yourself.

If you want people not to kill themselves you must provide a good reason for them not to want to, reactionary measures to prevent suicide are rather suspect because they have a remarkable tendency to extend no further than keeping the suicide statistics low.

Yeah I agree there, I don't think our current approaches are exactly productive and the best way stop suicide would be to try improve people's lives first rather than resorting to draconian laws and the criminal justice system like we do for everything. I just think that literally comparing consent in the context of suicide to consent in the context of freed slaves, gays, and communists is patently absurd since none of those things involve harm either to oneself or others. I think that suicide is a bad thing that we should try hard to prevent but I would stop short of the "by all means we have available" part because as you said that can lead down a counterproductive road.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

My Imaginary GF posted:

Sounds like a desperate need for some tort reforms so that you can deny an addict another useless medical test which wastes everyone's time and money.

gently caress addicts for bankrupting our public healthcare systems with bullshit medical testing and reported symptoms.

Yet for some reason you don't oppose all of the "help" the criminal justice system provides drug users, even non-addicts who would otherwise have absolutely no impact on your life whatsoever. You're just another moralizing authoritarian who wants to punish the morally impure based on a completely arbitrary drug classification system.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

My Imaginary GF posted:

Using heroin is a crime. Don't like it? I'd recommend you lobby Congress to change the regulatory framework. Failing that, man the gently caress up and be a law-abiding citizen or get enough funds through your hard, stable work to pay the penalties.

To reiterate, if you weren't a hypocritical authoritarian piece of poo poo you would care about all of the law enforcement resources being wasted on drug users, including non-addicts. What happened to the fiscal conservatism you were displaying a few posts ago?

Medical tests for addicts are "bankrupting" our healthcare system yet the completely pointless, counterproductive war on drugs we spend billions on is a nonissue? Not to mention that I could compile a long list of things that "bankrupt" our healthcare system more than that which we do not give people felony charges and prison time for.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 4, 2016

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

MIGF thinks that all drug users, even non-addicts who don't harm anyone else, are subhuman scum. So nothing he says is going to make sense because his motivations when discussing this issue are entirely different than ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

It's almost as if MIGF isn't arguing in good faith :monocle: