Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Spacman posted:

This is the opiod thread not the eating diorder thread... Start a new thread maybe?

e:I'm not trying to be a dick, but I want to learn about and see first hand accounts of opiate abuse. Eating disorders likely need their own thread as it, no doubt, has merit. I won't lie, I likely will not read the eating disorder thread because I don't care about eating disorders, but I'm interested in opiate abuse.

That's why I read the opiate abuse thread...

Enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

OwlFancier posted:

You know some people use the idea of being able to go to a hospital and order infinite drugs as an argument against universal healthcare.

But I'm beginning to see why they might think that if you can actually go and do that in America...

Are American hospitals like... some sort of weird unlimited chemist that also offer surgery and beds?

Who the gently caress just goes into a hospital and asks for drugs? I literally cannot get my head properly around the idea that you can just buy medical services in America even if you don't need them.

Oh, you're just adorable. You think the only broken parts of the United States health care system are cost and access. Silly. Everything about US healthcare is broken. Everything

It's always fun visiting a third world country and talking to locals. Every time the topic comes to healthcare, and I get to listen to someone complain about their horrible experience trying to get care while visiting the US, and why can't you just go to a doctor and a pharmacist and get what you really need to get better like it is here? And all I can do is :shrug:

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

BarbarianElephant posted:

But as Subvisual Haze points out, opiates become slowly less effective over time. Insulin does not.

Opiates can become less effective at masking pain over time. Sometimes not, especially administered at correct doses. Someone physically dependent on opiates can get very sick or even die if they no longer consume it. Same with diabetics and insulin. That's why the analogy works.