Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I've been on suboxone/zubsolv for almost three years and I loving hate it. I'm such a fool for listening to my brother and the super nice doctor he worked with to bump me up the waiting list to be one of the 100 patients he could prescribe buprenorphine/naloxone to. I only stayed in rehab for 9 days before my insurance denied the claim, stating "me being there wasn't a necessity" even though I had a needle habit for 13 months and a nasal habit for a year and a half before.
So I had almost 15 days clean of everything and was feeling fantastic then I see the doctor, and he recommends subs to help keep me off. I agreed without understanding the long term, and at the time suboxone was being prescribed as a short term solution, then I realized we never had any discussion regarding getting off, so after that I was determined to at least try to take less over time. I never really took above 12mgs which is 1 1/2 of a sublingual strip. Getting onto suboxone was the biggest mistake in MY recovery. withdrawal from heroin sucks, but when I went to my brother first, we went to a GP and he prescribed me a medicine to lower my blood pressure and an anti-nausea medicine and I had the easiest withdrawal I've ever had in my life. I was fully truthful and got excellent care to ease me into being opiate free. It's not good that the stigma of abusing/addiction keeps people away from getting the early help. I definitely kept preferring to not be judged by my dealer than to be forever branded a junkie in my medical files when I wasn't visiting the doctor to aquire pills.

Just another thought, heroin still isn't exactly popular or cool, at least in my experience interacting with other recreational drug users. Pills are cool, heroin is strong as gently caress and a fraction of the price. Plus it has a seeding introduction system that older junkies cultivate new junkies who have fresh money. I didn't actually get my dealers number until my "friend" was wanting to get high so bad I had to go pick some up and drop a needle and spoon off at the cracker barrel.

Hardawn fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
My impairment is low, but my dose is pretty small. Small enough that I wake up every morning with stomach problems, a runny nose and sneezing fits until I take my dose, but still managed enough that you wouldn't know unless I told you. Know my co-worker seems to be taking enough some days to be slurring his words and being in a daze, but I honestly think he is using again.

I've given a strip (8mgs) to people with very little opiate tolerance and it'll floor them and also possibly make them vomit. If I drink any alcohol or ingest cannabis there is an additional layer of drowsiness(if I get too comfortable on the couch I could fall asleep sometimes), but not to exactly the level of feeling so good you are nodding off. People can definitely get some sort of high from it, but honestly you'd just go score more opiates and save the subs for withdrawal.

I watch a documentary on Amsterdam I believe and they this welfare problem where these addicts come in to work and are given three beers or their fix of whatever drug then begin work. In American, there's a lot more money in housing criminals. Also as a response to the person who talked about getting clean in jail, I could see a lot of people using that as the best way to separate themselves from the drug, but with the increased prevalence of heroin in prison, you could still be getting high.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Your not tapering the dosage anymore? Not to be a dick, but the general experience with cold turkey heroin is that the relapse rate is quite high even if the first month goes well.

I've always felt slightly iffy about long term free heroin and methadone administration. It's undoubtedly better for society but it looks a lot like palliative sedation of the patients. In a sense you are slightly giving up.

That's why I put the emphasis on MY recovery in one of my posts. Hindsight is always 20/20 or whatever. I personally got to a crossroads moment where my path was ride it till death, or risk using while on drug probation and eventually do time. After I did my ten days in rehab, I believe I had enough time to truly evaluate and accept where I was and choose to not continue with the lifestyle of being a junkie. I wasn't perfect, and I did opiates a few times, but each time after I decided that the whole thing wasn't worth trading what I was able to develop in the interim.

My regret of taking suboxone started with I ran out my prescription the first time and immediately I got what are known as PAWS(post acute withdrawal symptoms). I then started to research getting off subs cold turkey and found very little peer-reviewed studies regarding tapering/jumping off at any dosage. I did find a few doctors on YouTube prescribing vitamin and supplements and to deal with the month plus of paws. So after that I decided that stopping then wasn't really going to be able option at that time, so I went back to my doctor to pee in a cup to get more.

I don't think providing long-term care is giving up, putting people in boxes and then turning a profit from it is giving up, IMO. Like in AA giving up the substance doesn't cure you as a potential drain on society or make you less of a piece of poo poo as a human, but going through the steps and self-identifying behavior patterns can facilitate that change into making you a contributing member of society, drug addiction is an unnecessary stigma when everyone does something to help regulate their mood, some are just less "destructive" than others.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

Rhandhali posted:

I can't find them anywhere but there are also TV commercials for a gut-specific Narcan called methylnaltrexone used to treat opiod induced constipation. I've used it a couple of times in the inpatient setting and I'm not super impressed. Brown bombs and lactulose have gotten better, cheaper results.

Yes the commercials for Opioid Induced Constipation(OIC) have increased several times over the last 6 months. I was seriously taken aback when I first saw one. My favorite part is that I saw multiple commercials for OIC products during the Super Bowl then later we see another commercial(that was shot at my high school) depicting the spirling that happens to young people when they start to use opiates. Not a hint of irony, except the faint cackle of the junkie in the corner, finding just another example of the absurdity of intelligence.(dies)

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
I wouldn't really consider AA yo be an indoctrination program. Are there groups that become more zealous than others? Probably. But the actual steps are more self reflective than the pray the gay away approach