Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It's also not just because it's whie people dropping H for the first time, its because H is too drat cheap thanks to Mexican cartel evolution into vertically integrated corporate structures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Yeah the article fade5 posted suggests it's just people that would traditionally get pain problems, like coal miners in Appalachia, being prescribed stronger opioid painkillers all of a sudden. Heroin-related deaths are more common in the Mid-Atlantic region and Illinois (which could be either due to crackdowns on people addicted to prescription opiates like you said, or just because PA/NY/IL have bigger cities where traditional illicit use is more common) while people are just dying from overdoses of the pills themselves in WV and the Midwest.

Because of the geographic distribution of overdoses, it seems more likely that strong painkillers are being prescribed for things other than cancer. Workplace injuries related to manual occupations. No one is going to fault someone slowly dying of agonizing cancer for slapping a fentanyl patch on every day, but someone with a moderate strain injury should at least be given weaker options at first. You want to save drugs this powerful for when it's clear there is no other option, because pulling the rug out from under people's feet after prescribing them is probably just going to lead to street drug use.

It's because IL is the railroad hub of the nation, and Mexican cartels are shipping heroin in by the boxcar.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Guavanaut posted:

The cause of the shift to heroin appears to be related to the closing down of the pill mills that were flooding oxy into communities in the first place. And the root cause of the pill mills was deliberate pressure by the people that stood to profit from sales.

https://medium.com/@jasisrad/kingpins-1fa9331c705d#.hj1gb5ids

That said, the rebound opiophobia among physicians is also a problem for people who are legitimately in pain. The US still seems to be better than a lot of other countries when it comes to pain management though, even though the DEA classes heroin as Schedule I with 'no medical use', which is patently absurd. Many other countries suffer highly rampant aversion to opiates even in terminal cases.

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2015/10/16/449243933/how-uganda-came-to-earn-high-marks-for-quality-of-death

Maybe the best middle-ground solution would be to have one government-run pill mill for addicts looking to get a fix? Seems like a win-win-win all around.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I was prescribed some opiates when I had my tonsils removed as a teen, and I didn't become a heroin addict. I don't see why the folk with oxycotin prescriptions can't give up their medication as well as teen me did.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

rscott posted:

It would be pretty easy and cheap to put them out of their misery (so to speak) by supplying them with clean, precisely metered opioids, and it would also largely remove the negative externalities you're talking about

Except when they, oh, drive, interact with the public, are responsible for children, or sell a portion of their meds to finance their lifestyles.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

nigga crab pollock posted:

doctors literally don't give a poo poo dude. they will hand you a 15 day script for hydros if you straight up don't look/act like a junkie and have a serious enough problem. hell i had a psychiatrist just hand me a klonopin script even when i was like 'uh are you sure this is a good idea?" most doctors just write scripts for "once daily as needed" so to most people that means one every day, two if u need it. and since these drugs are very quick to form tolerances it ends with people taking way more than what was prescribed and getting addicted - but they still need treatment.

black market precription drugs are usually the massive pile of drugs that patients sell to drug dealers cause they take maybe 10 pills a month and they get prescribed 30 and hey poo poo its free money. the people buying them? the people who ran out of their 30 day script on day 15

why not make an app to connect individuals with excess scripts and folk with scripts they cannot afford to fill?

better yet, what about an app to sell your drugs back to pharmacies so that folk on medicare/medicaid with $0 co-pays can make their money selling drugs off to someone other than scummy drug dealers?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

probably because giving those pills to other people is a felony and selling is probably like a double felony

Manufacturers should be able to buy back their products, in order to re-sell them at a lower price point.

Is it illegal to give away drugs to manufacturers? I don't see how implementing a rewards program like a Japanese pachinko parlour wouldn't help to get drugs off the street while lowering the budget deficit by allowing medicare/medicaid to negotiate for "used" drug prices.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Grundulum posted:

You're (probably) not serious, but quality control would be a huge issue in a hypothetical pill buyback program.

If you wish for quality prescription drugs, perhaps you should purchase an insurance policy which does not negotiate prices on "used" drugs.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

so after you get addicted to hydros you get a mimimum wage job to pay for those hydros but having a part time job makes you lose eligibility for medicade so now u gotta pay for an insurance plan that only buys premium, fresh drugs

ronald reagan's ghost just popped a boner

gee, maybe you should move to a state which expanded medicaid eligability and get the gently caress out of your shithole? One can only help those who help themselves, and those who insist upon living in the south deserve what they get.

I still think that used drugs should be a fremium for a DealR type app. Why the gently caress not disrupt the pharma industry like uber has taxis? What are cities gonna do?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

Seeing stuff like that post is honestly very hurtful. It's difficult to describe, but it just makes you feel like you're worthless and should always keep everything bottled up. I imagine it's sort of similar to the way minorities/LGBT people feel when they're exposed to bigotry (LGBT is probably a better comparison, since a black person can't hide the fact that he's black). Even though I'm an addict, I've never stolen or even done anything illegal (I don't really think the illegal part matters but maybe some people do), and the only way I've hurt anyone else with my addiction is through my parents being upset that I'm so unhappy. My using stopped being related to trying to get high after the first year or so, and afterwards was entirely just to avoid the hell of withdrawals. I could seek out something that would get me high, but I don't. My motivation is entirely a fear of withdrawal/PAWS.

Generally speaking, if a large number of people have a specific problem, blaming individuals is both ineffective and dumb. People do things for a reason, and if a significant number of people behave in a certain way there is likely some reason they are doing so other than "they're just lazy/morally inferior."

So, you don't live in a vacuum. I assume your parents interact with individuals other than yourself. Do you think that their emotional response to your addict impacts any of their other relations? I'd imagine it'd be quite stressful to work full-time while knowing that you have a sick child. Your first instinct would be to turn down opportunities, such as working late in order to earn a promotion, so that you could be home and ensure your sick child doesn't overdose themselves.

Have you considered that your addiction may also be straining your parent's relation? Which do you love more, your mother, or your addiction?

For law-abiding citizens, it's an either-or issue. If you cared about your mother, you wouldn't be so afraid of withdrawal. That's a moral weakness, and America cannot abide weakness.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Guavanaut posted:

That'd be great if it was true. Just lock them all up with the queers and the commies until the shape of their cranium corrects itself. :pseudo:

However going by references like Joiner's 'Why People Die By Suicide', the vast majority of suicides are neurotypical people who either feel alienated from their surroundings or feel as if they are a burden to other people or are in constant chronic pain. In short, their brain isn't broken but their life sucks. I don't even know how to address anyone who thinks that these people should be fixed by drugging them against their will, throwing them naked into a room under constant fluorescent lighting, and waking them up every three hours until their mental state improves instead of, I dunno, trying to make their life suck less.

The exact same thing goes for addiction. People don't decide to become addicts because their brains are broken or they are inclined to criminality. They usually end up that way because of some combination of alienation or feeling of burden, or chronic pain like the post above mentioned. We've seen how much good throwing addicts into prison does at creating more living happy people.

I recall reading a study years ago that depressed and suicidal individuals tended to have more accurate perceptions of their lives and opportunities available than non-depressed and non-suicidal individuals have of theirs.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Retorting by saying "well, you can always be self-employed/start your own business!" is a cop-out too. What social networking, start-up capital, personal finances, and training/educational resources do you likely have as a junkie? Keep in mind federal loans are cut for any sort drug-related charges anywhere from marijuana to heroin.

You could always tend your own garden.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Does that pay the rent?

Quite so. And, worst comes to worst, you can always plant a garden on public land and encamp rent-free near it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

That a failure in treatment produces a comparable result in behaviour by sufferers of a different condition would seem to be relevant to the discussion of opiate abuse as it lends credence to the idea that opiate abuse is not a moral failing but rather a social one.

So what's the best way to structure and run a rehab program? Imagine you had $10 million and authority to implement the processes you'd like to see.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Immediately demand more money because $10m is a paltry sum.

Assuming you gave me the required money, relocate the person to a controlled facility where they can be looked after, and be given controlled, clean doses of whatever they're addicted to. Work with the individual to figure out how their addiction works, what triggers their desire to use, and then work with them to figure out alternate solutions. Reduce their dosage as practical to minimise withdrawal, keep working to build and reinforce new behavior patterns which don't center around reliance on their drug. Also look to address any issues which contribute to their condition such as depression or chronic pain or anxiety or anything else that they feel they need some escape from, whatever it is that they use their drug to help deal with. Once their addiction is under control, work with them to get them rehoused and re-employed, possibly with support payments to keep them on their feet while they adjust to a working and more independent life, continue to offer counseling and other support, including drug doses if they need it, because encouraging people to relapse outside of the program will make it harder to help them if they do.

Remove the reasons to use, work to minimize the withdrawal, and work to help the person develop solutions which work better.

If you can't do those then I would suggest that you will have difficulty fixing addiction, because continued use seems like a rational choice under those circumstances.

Hmm.

Sounds like what jail used to be in America, back when rehabilitation was the focus of corrections.

What are the reasons to use? Seems like they all stem from some sort of social failure.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

deathbysnusnu posted:

Fair enough, my choice of words was very poor.

So when I see things like strategic allergies that no human on earth could possibly have, that's a pretty big tell. Familiarity with pain meds for someone without a chronic condition or history of acutely painful conditions necessitating them is another. The ER history is another. Urine drug screens that contradict patient history is another. Often times you can see track marks on them. Generally speaking I don't let addiction history steer my pain management. If I would give someone with no addiction history morphine or dilaudid, I'd give it to addicted people.

The problem is always the inverse. People angry that I won't give them dilaudid for things I would give no one dilaudid for. I'm not going to claim that addiction is a moral failing but some of the behaviors it manifests makes my job a lot harder and more dangerous. Take for instance the people claiming to be vomiting blood. Sure I know that they've had 6 negative endoscopies, capsule studies etc in the past 6 months. But do I want to risk their life on it and not do yet another thorough workup? Those workups have risks on their own terms, what if endoscopy number 7 causes an esophageal perforation and they die?

Sounds like a desperate need for some tort reforms so that you can deny an addict another useless medical test which wastes everyone's time and money.

gently caress addicts for bankrupting our public healthcare systems with bullshit medical testing and reported symptoms.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Possibly gently caress the public healthcare system for not providing them another way to treat their condition?

Like god, government helps those who help themselves. The public healthcare system, in response to the will of the American electorate, provides addicts with several viable, evidence-based pathways for treatment. Addicts should not be able to get away with wasting everyone else's time and tax dollars with useless costs as they attempt to lie their way to unpaid treatment.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to just hand out clean pharmaceutical grade drugs to anyone who wants them, and save all that time and money with the doctor, then I wonder?

It was that sort of thinking by doctors in the naughty aughties which gave us this epidemic in the first place. You're a bad doctor, OwlFancier.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Then perhaps a happy middle ground where if someone shows up clearly just wanting drugs you can just give them drugs and a referral to a rehab program, then they don't need to keep coming and getting you to do tests they don't need.

Yes, isn't this what already happens for those of means? Those without means, we have a publicly funded rehab system: its called jail.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

So we should put addicts who haven't even necessarily committed any crimes into jail? Step it up, MIGF.

Using heroin is a crime. Don't like it? I'd recommend you lobby Congress to change the regulatory framework. Failing that, man the gently caress up and be a law-abiding citizen or get enough funds through your hard, stable work to pay the penalties.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

Oh, is it now? Can you quote me some law where "having used heroin at some indeterminate point in the past, yet not currently possessing or distributing it" is defined as criminal behavior?

If you use heroin, and its in your blood, you're in possession of it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

pangstrom posted:

Just as an aside and not disagreeing with anyone, but I think a lot of folks (esp. young guys) don't understand how important social support/influence is to humans, or at least neurotypical humans. Also GIVING social support, which really turns a light on for some people. We mostly buy that, say, solitary confinement would be rough but when it comes to meaningful interaction a lot of people are basically walking around in solitary confinement.

I was reading a study today that addiction is associated with poor awareness of others and that, even when an addict is recovering, they are not mindful of how their actions impact others.

The other thing I was reading was on Naltrexone? Why is naltrexone treatment not a standard requirement for release from corrections?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

I have a friend who "really wants to get clean" but doesn't understand the difference between "wanting" something and taking real action.

We go to the same program, but she does nothing but the barest minimum and acts surprised that she's still miserable. And we have the same teary-eyed conversation every couple days. And nothing changes except how loud she is about how hard she's wishing her problems away.

I've known plenty iterations of that personality type, especially within recovery groups and inpatient treatment,

Personally, I was on fire for sobriety after my 2nd completed inpatient rehab, but I relapsed with in a month (with guys in my halfway house). I limped along for another few months, doing things like moving into a stable environment and reconnecting with my sober [then]partner, working long hours, and (detrimentally) trying to pretend my addiction never happened.

As it were, I didn't understand what I was doing, and I was strung-out soon enough. And this story is anything but rare.

Recovery is absolutely a daily process, replete with intricacies. But too many people are like inept bodybuilders...we get all buff and fit over the course of a couple months, and then we get lazy....soon enough regressing into a blubbering mess.

Recent studies indicate long-term participation in a recovery community correlates strongly with long-term sobriety. Seems simple and obvious, but I attribute much of my past failures to an inability to grasp that concept.

These days, I train my "recovery muscles" consistently. Group/counseling is nearly a daily activity, meditation is daily, my mindfulness practice demands persistence, I think about everything I eat, and so on.

Recovery is absolutely possible. How to convince addicts to "buy-in" to the best, individualized treatment modality is quite another.

I think it's a question of resources. By the time someone is an addict, treating them will cost enough that you will have failed to prevent others becoming addicts. If an addict does not buy-in to treatment, spending any resources on attempts to produce buy-in is an absolute waste.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Would instituting universal healthcare in the US have a positive impact in reducing the opioid crisis in America?

Depends upon the metrics used for promotion, doesn't it? If a doc who gives out a shitload of pills to white folk only, and neglects prescribing pain treatment to black folk, gets promoted faster than a doc who does the inverse regardless of case legitimacy, than one would think that universal healthcare would only worsen the opiate epidemic in America.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

You can't advertise pharmaceuticals on TV in the UK as far as I know. Unless it's over the counter stuff. Prescription drugs are not advertised on TV at all here, it's kind of weird that you do it in America.

You get what the doctor thinks you need, not what you want. And what's available is determined by what the NHS will buy, usually cheap out-of-patent stuff where possible.

And how does such a system prevent racial and class disparity in its healthcare provision? It doesn't; it institutionalizes discrimination. gently caress that bullshit.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

jabby posted:

How does universal healthcare help with class discrimination? Seriously? :raise:

Are you denying that doctors have bias, and that a system which emphasizes a paternalistic treatment of patients is more susceptible to practitioner bias than one which emphasizes a client-provider relation?

Kelly M. Hoffman, Sophie Trawalter, Jordan R. Axt, and M. Norman Oliver. Racial bias in pain assessment and treatment recommendations, and false beliefs about biological differences between blacks and whites. PNAS, April 2016 DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1516047113

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

deathbysnusnu posted:

Bias wise, US physicians definitely treat different patients differently. I know that African American patients get way more urine drug screens then their white counterparts, or that they get less of the strong stuff. There's definitely a strong component of framing female patients as personality disorder related stuff too.

And my point is, in the NHS, such bias is amplified. We already have enough bias in client-practitioner relations as it stands in America, we don't need more by reverting back to the paternalistic methods of healthcare provision we used to have, we need less.

I do agree that no opiates for non-cancer pain management would be a good regulation.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

rkajdi posted:

The US strategy makes more sense when you understand that we have a stone age moralistic view of mental illness in general and addiction in particular. You can't buy into the whole rugged individualism thing without also getting to put all the blame for someone else's predicament solely on their shoulders, after all.

So, I think you're confusing institutional inertia for malice. The biggest issue I see in tackling the heroin epidemic up here on and around the Rez is that there simply is very little communication, very little collaboration, and very much core services overlap between social service, correctional, and non-profit institutions.

Speaking with a few Congressmen, State Reps, and State Senators, what there seems to be more than sufficient political backing for is immediate appropriations to invest in systems that produce long-term cost savings. The problem is, I've yet to see a health policy model for tackling an epidemic which provides a process framework to minimize institutional barriers between agencies and maximize program effectiveness without wasting funds to redundancy.

If anyone could recommend lit in that area, that'd be awesome and I would be sure to pass them along to folk I know who want to see things done better, faster, and for less.

I believe in American ingenuity and the American spirit. We can beat this epidemic, and we will, especially once someone provides a model for doing so that we can steal and make our own.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 11, 2016

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Guavanaut posted:

That's also where it gets ethically difficult in terms of terminal illness though. What do you do when someone is at a state where it's arguably true that getting an extra hit of IV diamorphine is beneficial from a whole-life suffering point of view compared to being fed?

How did America overcome the first great opiate addiction crisis in the 20s and 30s?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

gay rites posted:

I received 30 Percocets after a spill on some rocks took some skin off my leg/hands. No broken bones. I used 3.

Perhaps some form of incentivizing individuals to return unused drugs would be a good policy intervention? Package pills in single-use containers, pay individuals to return the unused portions, prescribe the unused portions to individuals on medical assistance.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OneEightHundred posted:

The FDA will never, ever permit redistribution of unused drugs for obvious safety and quality reasons, though a deposit/buyback on disposal might still be a good idea.

gently caress the FDA. I'm connected to a few health ministers in ssa through project work, and I'm pretty goddamn certain their standards of quality and inventory control ain't up to FDA levels. What if we could solve drug access and affordability along the Swahili Coast, while also reducing the rate of opiate abuse in America by taking unused pills off the street?

Now if that Monstanto/Bayer merger goes through, its even more of a loving win-win-win. Americans make money to take pills off the street; developing nations get access to quality prescription mediciation; Monsanto/Bayer makes money off leveraging drugs for access to developing nations' agricultural markets with their GMO products.

gently caress insurance companies. They paid, why do they give a poo poo if you take 90 vicodins over 30 days or if you only take 3 after a surgery?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OneEightHundred posted:

Let me put it this way: The moment some junkie switches the label on a bottle of Oxy with something else and returns it, the whole thing will go down in flames, and someone might get killed in the process.

e: Which is actually a problem with returning them even for disposal. Really, the simplest solution is to just not prescribe so drat much of it in the first place.

I have seasonal allergies and take Allegra D. The Allegra comes in these single-use packages that you have to pop a pill out of. Why not do the same for opiates, and ensure the package was unopened before shipping them off to the third world?

While that may be the simplest solution, it ain't happening so better to figure out a way to work with an imperfect system than ignore an epidemic while seeking perfection.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Boywhiz88 posted:

Confirmed Prince died from opioid OD. Hopefully that will galvanize some action, and possibly pro-legalization/MMJ as an alternative.

Nah. It's gonna be easier to send his prescribing doctors to jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I see much discussion based upon institutional failures in this thread. Yet I ask, and so too do Americans, why do folk become addicted to opaites? From what I hear, it is a moral failing: individuals who become addicts subjugate their will to devote themselves to our lord ADONAI to their addiction.

What addicts could use more is god, and less loving enabling acts like needle exchanges or publicly financed criminal exchanges. More god = less addicts