Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PT6A posted:

Safe injection sites should be as small as possible and extremely widespread, to avoid as much of the effect of concentrating drug addicts in one place as possible.

Obviously vulnerable populations like addicts and the homeless need services provided to them, but putting all those services in one place is a terrible idea. These people are part of our community -- instead of concentrating them into skid row, which separates them from their support structures and creates what ends up being an environment full of negative reinforcement, we need to treat them as part of our communities.

I mean, what's as small as possible? Don't think it would do much good to shrink them much beyond the size of like a strip mall/business street retail slot. No point making them excessively cramped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sea of losers posted:

this derail about trump is stupid, maybe instead of that we could look at how the FDA is getting more negatively vocal about kratom, something that could actually help ppl but isnt particularly profitable

Why do you think a Pfizer or a Merck couldn't make kratom very profitable?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sea of losers posted:

they couldnt make the plant profitable.

Bullshit. We live in a world where tobacco companies still make tobacco itself profitable.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sea of losers posted:

tobacco isnt sold as a medicine.

Why do you think that matters?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sea of losers posted:

because the laws regarding the sale of cigarettes/alcohol and selling prescription drugs are just slightly different, and also because only certain parts of kratom may be desirable. do you see pharma companies selling raw poppy straw instead of morphine, or weed instead of marinol?

So why do you think kratom can't be sold profitably? Do you think everyone selling it to you is doing it at a loss? Do you think it'll just be impossible to grow a bunch at once?

You sound like the people a few decades ago who swore no one would be able to make profit on regular leaf & bud weed at the corporate scale.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sea of losers posted:

perhaps i was a little simplistic in my initial post, but my point is that if pharmaceutical companies profit off of kratom it will be through isolated chemicals or their derivatives, not the plant itself. there are tons of active alkaloids in kratom and in opium poppy, and not all of them are medically desirable in opium and i seriously doubt all of them are desirable in kratom. thebaine, for instance, is in opium poppy and can be used to make other drugs but is a terrible drug by itself.

and no, i don't believe kratom sales are currently done at a loss. what we've been talking about is specifically pharmaceutical companies selling i as prescription medicine, not anyone selling it as a legal high or whatever.

you sound like someone who hasnt considered this.

There is no reason they can't profit off just selling the leaves though. Besides you just randomly claiming they can't.

Also why on earth would they need to sell it prescription??? Over the counter drugs are huge revenue sources for most pharmaceutical companies, just sell it like that in standard packages.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sea of losers posted:

i'm not "randomly claiming," i'm giving you reasons why they'd pursue chemical isolation or modification instead of selling raw leaf and yr just kinda ignoring it. what's a raw leaf product sold by a pharmaceutical company that you can think of off the top of yr head? do they sell tree bark instead of aspirin?

plain leaf kratom has some concerns regarding hepatotoxicity surrounding it, there's another reason

You're not giving reasons though. If you believe people want kratom leaves, then the companies will be able to sell kratom leaves just like companies sell tobacco leaves or tea leaves or any other kind. Even though you can and sometimes fdo also sell specifically refined products of them for particular purposes.

It's just the same kneejerk "the man wants to shut this down because he can't make money on it" crap as with tons of other drugs. Anyone with a brain should realize by now that corporations monetize everything, period.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sea of losers posted:

right, that's why Solvay markets white widow instead of dronabinol capsules, my bad

That's because weed is nationally illegal still. No poo poo you're going to stick to easier-to-defend isolates and compounds when you know that'll make it easier to make money.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PT6A posted:

No, capital must not be allowed to enter the market. There should be no profit motive in the provision of drugs. We've already seen the harm this has done with alcohol and tobacco, and we might soon see it with marijuana, and arguably the only reason those substances should remain as regulated free markets is that there are qualitative differences between brands/products beyond the active chemicals.

Really? That's cool and good (not the part about Alberta being dreadful, the other bit).

Retail weed's been going in the US for a while now, nothing bad has happened from it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
So how are the "number of prescriptions per x people" figures determined anyway? Are they prescriptions per year, or month, some other time? Do we count both 3 pills as a one-off from a surgery as equal to a 30 day supply to someone who's been on them for 5 years straight? And when you start comparing between countries, there's stuff like how certain preparations of codeine are available over the counter in the UK but would need a prescription in the US.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pangstrom posted:

What country are you proposing even gets close, fishmech.

I'm trying to ask what's being measured with that number in the first place, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pangstrom posted:

I'm trying to ask which country would even come close regardless of how you measure it, dude.

That would require us to know what is being counted!