Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

What about a tv? I feel like a monoprice tv would be a good value

its called vizio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

now THAT's value for your money

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

graph posted:

its called vizio

this

bought on of their 55" smart TVs for the BCMcave last blkFriday

price in store locally? $800 +
also ~$130 and up for an appropriate wallmount and HDMI cable

price off of Amazon? $370 including the wall-mount and cables

F local vendors forever

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 21, 2016

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

emoji posted:

USPS fills my mailbox to the brim with garbage and ads every day and loses the few pieces of actual mail I actually get.

protip: let your mailbox fill up for 3 months and they'll wrap it all up and leave you a little note

you can fill out the note and get it delivered to you again, but when they wrap it all up to store it they THROW AWAY THE ADS so you just get your actual mail wrapped with rubber bands once every 3 months or so.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i worked at a video post production house about 10 years ago and they were all using monoprice for all their cable needs back then, including audio poo poo when doing transfers

gently caress you, every other cable company

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

kwinkles posted:

protip: let your mailbox fill up for 3 months and they'll wrap it all up and leave you a little note

you can fill out the note and get it delivered to you again, but when they wrap it all up to store it they THROW AWAY THE ADS so you just get your actual mail wrapped with rubber bands once every 3 months or so.

in sweden you can put a "no advertising" note above/on your mail box and you wont get any of that

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Syncopated posted:

in sweden you can put a "no advertising" note above/on your mail box and you wont get any of that

cool story about a country the size of a postage stamp with 18 people who live there

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
I wish they made an 8x1 HDMI switch with a few powered USB ports on the back at a Monoprice (tm) price.

They sell a 5x1, but look at the terrible input locations: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8203
Here's one with an input in the front? Terrible http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8463

This one is closer, it's 5x1 and does 4K, no USB, and it's only $24 http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13703
Look at this one, it's an 8x1, which sounds great, but it's inexplicably $80 http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4067

You can't just buy two 5x1's and daisy them because I'm sure they'd mix the IR signals and would be independently uncontrollable. There's no 232 input either.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
why do you have so many hdmi devices jesus christ

like... you have a game console, maybe two. an optical disc player (assuming you are a sperg and dont want to use one of your game consoles for this), maybe a pc, and an apple tv or some other media box. thats only 5 and you could whittle it down to 3 if you wanted.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

we already have a five figgy fucktard thread

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

triple sulk posted:

we already have a five figgy fucktard thread

great products and equipment with good aesthetics and quality at unbeatable prices is for everybody. enjoy your monster cable you loving dipshit retard, maybe you'll get some reward points on the money you're throwing away on garbage.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

BANME.sh posted:

why do you have so many hdmi devices jesus christ
HDMI1 is the FiOS box
HDMI2 is the BDP
HDMI3 is the Boxee Box
HDMI4 is the WiiU

There's also a Chrome dongle, Roku and I'd like a spare or two. The TV has 4 inputs and I dislike juggling cables.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
sorry sulk that was harsh. i got a little carried away there. you're my sexy baritone friend, and i love you. and one day, ill buy you a philly cheese sammy

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

netwerk23 posted:

HDMI1 is the FiOS box
HDMI2 is the BDP
HDMI3 is the Boxee Box
HDMI4 is the WiiU

There's also a Chrome dongle, Roku and I'd like a spare or two. The TV has 4 inputs and I dislike juggling cables.

i find it completely hosed up that you still have a boxee working. i deprecated mine years ago and it was an old POS even then. what can the boxee possibly do that the chromecast doesn't? what the gently caress???

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
how horrified are you that we daily drive a WDTV

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

no experience with this stb so i cannot comment but i hope it's suiting your needs.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

netwerk23 posted:

HDMI2 is the BDP
my grandfather had to plug hdmi
my great grandfather had to plug hdmi
my great great grandfather had to plug hdmi
my great great great great when's it gonna stop

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 21, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha. it runs off 12 volts and plays netflix. thats all we use it for. i got it for like 60 bucks refurb off amz

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I have a first gen wdtv that is slow as balls but has the best file compatibility and ui. Also it supports 24 fps output, which no one does anymore

The only thing that deprecated it for us was its finicky wireless adapter compatibility

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jonny 290 posted:

'Jonny, put the TV on...'

'Ok, hon!'

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

'Ok, hon!'

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

netwerk23 posted:

HDMI1 is the FiOS box
HDMI2 is the BDP
HDMI3 is the Boxee Box
HDMI4 is the WiiU

call me crazy but i think 3 (4 if you count the wiiU) different media streamers is maybe overkill and if it isn't just buy the moderately priced 8 port hdmi switch

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

NoneMoreNegative posted:

'Ok, hon!'

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I have a knob in our ceiling and if i turn it it rotates the tv antenna

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

Smythe posted:

i find it completely hosed up that you still have a boxee working. i deprecated mine years ago and it was an old POS even then. what can the boxee possibly do that the chromecast doesn't? what the gently caress???

It can natively play DVD ISOs and the remote is very easy to use. the Roku is for my kids to watch Disney Jr. on demand. the Chrome cast is for laptop screen casting, mostly just to show family pictures to guests.
I liked the WDTV but picked boxee years ago. I have a few dead ones from eBay that I use for parts.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

IF YOURE BRAVE TIGHT ENOUGH

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i have bought these plugs and they really are pretty good

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

oh hey its this thread again

anyone get any sweet cables lately???

i just bought a bunch of cat6 from newegg!!!!!!

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

LEE CHENG 4 AG

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

:vince:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
here's a mega protip for people with a shitton of hdmi devices attached to your tv: don't have a dedicated blu ray player and streaming device, just pick up a cheap ps3 and use universal media server

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Syncopated posted:

advertisers are some the biggest customers of USPS. i doubt they will change anything that reduces their advertising income here

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

monoprice is great. i have never had problems getting cables shipped to fpo addresses like some other companies and the cables always work

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lampey posted:

monoprice is great. i have never had problems getting cables shipped to fpo addresses like some other companies and the cables always work

more usps supremacy

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mishaq posted:

usps supremacy
:agreed:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Stymie posted:

here's a mega protip for people with a shitton of hdmi devices attached to your tv: don't have a dedicated blu ray player and streaming device, just pick up a cheap ps3 and use universal media server

rip your blu rays to you media server and use an appletv 4 for everything and save on power

watching movies
code:
ps3          170 watts
ps3 slim     80 watts
atv4         2.24 watts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

'Ok, hon!'

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

netwerk23 posted:

HDMI1 is the FiOS box
HDMI2 is the BDP
HDMI3 is the Boxee Box
HDMI4 is the WiiU

i don't know what 3/4 of these things even are

my tv has one hdmi cable connected to it (htpc) and that is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i got some hdmi cables from monoprice and thought they were bad but it turns out theyre one-way :confused:

• Locked thread