Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
reddit has consumed the souls of the next posting generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

zoux posted:

Also how do you feel about that brand of apologia? Like with slavery, people say it's unforgivable and that it was such an obvious affront to human nature and dignity that anyone should have seen it for the atrocity it was regardless of upbringing. I'm not so sure that people can't be taught and sincerely believe that any state of affairs is good and proper, I mean that is how culture works.

slavery especially gets odd wrt using it as a barometer, since basically everyone was okay with it for most of history, to the point they couldn't even conceive of a world without it

course, even Roman slavery was arguably less hosed up than racial chattel slavery but still, even Spartacus apparently just didn't want to be a slave, he didn't give a gently caress about the whole owning people thing itself.

if anyone knows any figures way back when who said slavery sucked, that'd be cool to hear, since i didn't have any luck finding any, which was a little depressing.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Hollismason posted:

We really should have won the war of 1812.

unless "we" means "the Indians", i declare this wrongthink

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

us grant owns and its long past due that his historical image be rehabilitated

John Brown too

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

i get real sick of people preening themselves over how logical they are

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Exclamation Marx posted:

that peter doul guy's been in clinton's inner circle for two decades, he's also a former member of a fascist lebanese deathsquad. but on the other hand, bernie fans are annoying

hmmmm checks out

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

what is isis stance wrt israel, maybe we are being too hasty here

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
all of them

deaths of posting personas

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
that's my secret captain, im always melting down

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

ah, the venom snake gambit

shiiiiiiit

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
im glad imgur still has those "statistics" that was in the confederate spree killer kids manifesto on its front page

"im not racist but we must secure a future for white children"

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
a modern american tragicomedy

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Bill Nye or death

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Jagchosis posted:

poochie shop got me into a simpsons youtube hole and jfc the 90s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUJYXaS7J-Q

esp the scene w/ bush

full cynicism was banned in the nineties for the good of America's youth

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
im going to vote republican to show im not a bernlord or a shillery

i will be remembered for my integrity

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
end bear on panda racism

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
my huge penis keeps me on the path of virtue - plato

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

consider that his resignation notice.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
im in the mood to carry around a "the end is nigh" sign

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
parody has died and reality wears it's skin to this hellish masquerade

satire is screaming and clawing the inside of its coffin lid

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I think it's time for an argument about the morality of voting third party

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
also /pol/ is trump love town

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

the_paradigm_shift posted:

I thought it was more 50/50 with the trump ones being more gross and loud. of course I'm not going to read it

there is bernie stuff but it's much less there than trump. i check it out every now and then as a sort of fun glance at the other side.

its probably more 50/50 fake vs real neonazi filth but considering how much "race realism" style nonsense is present in millennial bastions like reddit nowadays it's probably more authentic than i am giving credit for. there is certainly crossover with the sort of "fact sheets" that people puke into comment sections of various sites.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
e/n: my mother supports bernie, goons help me

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

like really, what's the difference between a fash and someone that thinks its really funny to egg them on

how much they wince at the firing line

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
on the radio a while ago i heard about people gushing over the rising power of the free market to control drug prices

this meant that insurance companies were playing hardball by refusing to cover drugs like ritalin or its generic variants, which i happen to use, so they could force doctors and patients to use cheaper drugs with worse side effects. of course in the long run, it was explained, this would lower prices after only a couple decades of messes. so its possible i could end up having to pay over 100 dollars for a drug i get for like, 12 right now.

price fixing, of course would be highly immoral.

thats my personal experience with the healthcare system

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

The whole medicaid expansion blocking is some serious hosed up poo poo

anyone who is like oh woe how did the gop get to this point wrt trump

they were always there

its great because the governors that do this claim they are doing it for the good of the public and not because they are willing to let people die rather than let the opposing side gain a single inch, and its all taken at face value. nobody will ever have to answer for any of this.

“Politics is weird. And creepy. And now I know lacks even the loosest attachment to anything like reality.”

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

*ahem* i think you'll find that after 5 years the states would have to pay 10% of the cost, making Medicaid expansion completely fiscally irresponsible

what, financial gains from decreased emergency room visits and higher productivity from healthier workers? no i'm not familiar with the concept

i dont even hear anyone making serious claims about the fiscal responsibility of it, its mostly just cloaked in a sort of twisted moral verse where taxation is theft and theft is the greatest sin imaginable; its alright for someone to die in poverty surrounded by opulence, as long as nobody tried to steal their poverty away.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

site posted:

We had some of that here. "We have massive budget deficits, so we can't afford this SUPER COSTLY HEALTH CARE FOR THE POORS THANKS OBUMMER"

yeah i guess it varies; i find that the economic angle is mostly just there to give a veneer of credibility but once pressed on that, its all based on morality rather than any sort of practicality.

like if you point out how food stamps pretty much pay for themselves instantly since even food stamps put towards those mythical lobster dinners ends up paying the wages of the grocery store employees, the immediate retort is something about the undeserving poor.

i blame Reagan.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
its a pertinent question

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I've got a very high fever

who wants to inherit my account

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

lmao this got 3k upvotes on the bernie sanders subreddit

http://blackmenforbernie.com/help-us/

and stop wearing your pants all low!!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i love people only for unwarranted reasons

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

did anyone honestly expect anything bad to happen to Yoo

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
yeah shogun 2 is probably my favorite. really the only one that i felt got the strategic layer done well enough so it wasn't a pain to manage but still had an impact on the game and let you do little fun setups and poo poo. that and the units had roles and poo poo which was sweet compared to "hey here's the same unit, except, it has 2 better defense and 100 more upkeep, okay have fun".

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Rollofthedice posted:

were there any good, non-overdetailed mods for that game

Rome Total Realism struck a good balance

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i dont know why i torture myself picking stupid topics for short papers

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

somewhere, a burden is lifted from dukakis' shoulders. "i am no longer the biggest wimp in politics"

e: on a different note im reading "Legacy of Ashes" and either this book is a hit piece or the cia is just the most deeply loving tragically stupid group of assholes imaginable.
ee: "The CIA itself was very critical of the book, declaring that "anyone who wants a balanced perspective of CIA and its history should steer well clear of Legacy of Ashes."" lmao

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

The fact that they said "balanced" and not "accurate" says it all

the cia maintains its an elite clandestine force, a silver bullet for democracy. reality says otherwise; the truth must be in the middle

• Locked thread