Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Another factor to take into account (after reading the OP) is that Turkey, too, has a massive real state bubble going on.
It's just one article, but that's the most pro-Erdogan newspaper there is, the opposition paper warned about the same things back in May.

And if that wasn't enough, the political situation is, to my mind, a ticking bomb, mostly because Erdogan depends on the army to fight the kurds and the gülenists, but the army loving hates his guts because of how much he went after them. It's just that they hate the kurds more, at least for the moment. Oh and Siria and the IS are there too.

Anyway how come there isn't more talk about the Deutsche bank? that's what brought me to this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I dunno, so far bonds seem to point more to panic than anything else. We'll see I guess, my bet is "Two Big To Fail 2: European Bogaloo", what with financial reform in the EU after 2008 amounting to zilch.

Ukle, what are those issues with DB that you didn't post about last week? Can you please give us a summary or some links?

TIA :)

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Freezer posted:

No worries, banks will be saved. Nothing a few additional rounds of austerity-fueled firings and pension cuttings can't fix.

Oh, don't worry, it's not like I had any doubt. I just wonder how far do they think they can play that game. Looking at the political situation around europe, not much.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

shrike82 posted:

The narrative that the economy's being screwed because millenials aren't spending hasn't panned out though.
with less being spent on big ticket items like a mortgage or cars, they spend more on day-to-day goods or services

I am not sure you've thought what you are saying through.

Considering the high youth unemployement, I doubt that because they didn't buy a house they spend more on other things. When you don't have a job it's not just a house that you can buy.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Crashrat posted:

I have no idea how anyone could stand living in a "pod"style hostel, or living in a living-room shed, for any kind of extended period. I really don't understand how it's associated with living a "less tied down lifestyle," and I especially don't understand how it automatically translates to enabling people to be able to have the time and connections to "work on their startup."

Forget the loving buzzwords.

This is basically people living in living conditions below that of an average dorm room at a state university.. At least in a dorm you'll have only 1-2 roommates, an actual desk, storage space, and access to a space within a short distance that's guaranteed to be at least passably quiet (study rooms). But this is even worse because at $900 per month for that "pod" housing in Los Angeles you're paying more for housing than students would at the cheapest housing option at UCLA where you'd get a bedroom in an apartment to yourself.

I mean I realize that housing at UCLA isn't available for everyone, but I'm just providing some perspective on this bullshit. We're effectively pushing people into the economy, giving them poo poo pay, giving them worse housing situations than the "freshman experience" dorms that most people view in America as some kind of right of passage that's looked back on as a bad experience but you're better off for it, and then browbeaten about how dare they not bootstrap themselves into being middle class.

I have the impression they are just trying to make a steaming turd appealing to millenials with buzzwords they think millenials will appreciate. The list of which has kindly been provided by Monomythian.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Sooooooo... The Chinese economy is slowing the gently caress down, every oil producing country is cutting expenses like crazy, banks are loaded with toxic assets, the European stress test are full of poo poo, the real state bubble in Turkey is imploding and Spain decided to absolutely stop any government expense except salaries until next year...

When does it all come tumbling the gently caress down?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
The Guardian had a lovely image just the other day, one of those cases of news that are better understood together.

CEO compensation soars and Companies attack minimum age proposals, one right beside the other. I now regret not having taken a screenshot.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I am really amazed that the article says that hoarding cash would undermine negative rates. It doesn't seem to me like they have had any traction, so I don't understand what's there to undermine.

Am I wrong on this one?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
So the orthodoxy during the last couple of decades has been central bank independence from government.

I see the current central bank overdrive as a reaction to a bad environment but also the logical response to the circumstances, including stupid austerity. Not defending it, mind you, I want to ask, isn't this what central banks are supposed to do, under the circumstances?

And, do you guys think that they'll be blamed next time things collapse? (Meaning Tuesday)

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
It could lead to the fall of the überleveraged Deutsche Bank. I mean, at the end of the day, the whole point of the austericide in Greece, Spain, etc. Was to avoid disturbing the DB's house of cards.

About Le Pen, her win is to my mind a given. I mean, Fillon, her most likely opponent, is racist, homofobe, russophile and wants to destroy the public sector, France's saving grace. Le Pen is just racist. I could see a large part of the French electorate not willing to vote Satan just to keep Lucifer out of power.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Italian banks are a crater in the ground and the latest rescue attempt organized by, I think, Goldman Sachs, attracted so little interest it was ridiculous.

But the spin is going to be that it's the referendum's fault. Calling it now.

What do you guys think are the chances Monte dei Paschi goes down, takes Deutsche with it, and then it all goes to hell?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

I'm probably botching this, but I think it boils down to something like DB extending billions in loans to Italian banks which are now bankrupt and if forced to realize those losses (instead of getting bailed out in a circuitous manner as happened with Greece) DB would go bankrupt as well.

People who seem to know what they're talking about (as far as I can tell) think there's a good chance that if the referendum fails it could precipitate a new Euro crisis and lead to the breakup of the Eurozone, which I find to be pretty reasonable as it's been obviously unsustainable for years, barely limping by through massive bank bailouts at the expense of the citizens of everybody other than Germany.

The other thing is that if the referendum does pass it increases the odds that the 5-Star Movement take power in the next election, so it's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

I was thinking of that, but also of the fact that that DB seems to be very undercapitalized (and while trying to give you a figure for that I found this and this.), and also it has a derivatives portfolio of 47 trillion USD. (For reference, Germay's GDP is 3.36 trillion USD).

On the derivatives, DB's CEO has said that the fears are overblown and that it's all ok because some of those derivatives they owe and some they are owed to them. So it's all fine and dandy with those derivatives! As 2009 proved conclusively.

In short: duck and cover.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

shrike82 posted:

MPS blowing up along with the EU is pretty good news for the US.

Are you sure? What's your thought process?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I think you forget that derivatives will kill any of that, oh, and you are taking Trump at his word... Good luck with that xD

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

BarbarianElephant posted:

Make unemployment illegal.

Eh... Like in Belarus?
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/europe/article4412427.ece

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
It will all be fun and games until Deutsche Bank implodes and takes the EU with it and China starts invading around to deflect domestic unrest. Then it will be hilarious.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
^^^^ I bet it's going to be really big. The Great Depression had a second part in 1932, why would the Great Recession be less?

CommieGIR posted:

Hey Britain hows that Brexit going? Oh, pound hit another multi-week low? Full speed ahead? Good job.

The thing is, the pound falling is kinda good for the UK.

The UK was suffering a bad case of the Dutch disease, that's when one particular industry exports so much that the currency used is very much in demand, thus raising its price. This might be good for that particular industry and it certainly looks good in the news, but every other industry that exports is hosed.

Usually this happens with oil, and for instance it's one big obstacle on the way of the diversification of the Russian economy. (ONE obstacle, there are many more).

In the UK it was the banking industry. So many governments and rich assholes wanted to place/launder their money in the UK, so they bought pounds, so the pound raised. Great for the banks, awful for any other industry that exports. Of course, imports become more expensive. And that gives another push to local industry. I bet we will see a lot of imports substituted in the UK in the coming years.

In short, a cheaper pound is probably more in line with the economic fundamentals of the countries. That it screws over the financial types is just another added bonus.

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 9, 2017

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Nearly every British "Export" is owned by a foreign business.

Where does it pay taxes? Where are their employees located?

Edit: Let me defeat my own point here.

They probably pay very little in taxes because that's EU and Tory policy for you and they probably pay their workers poverty wages.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Crowsbeak posted:

So should I be concerned that I am seeing reports of downturn in recourse extraction sectors of Africa's economy while I am also seeing German Manufacturing taking a hit?

You should. Also check the Baltic Dry Index. It's low as it's ever been.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

MiddleOne posted:

Check the index, it's been hovering between 500-1500 since 2014 and right now it's approaching a 1000 again. For comparison, last year in February it hit an all-time low at 290. Again, what am I supposed to be seeing here?

A buttery pastry explained my point perfectly, that's what I meant. Am I wrong in thinking that it means trade is on the downswing? I seem to remember someone in this thread commenting that the shipping line in which they worked was going from global to regional.

What do you think, though?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

BrandorKP posted:

Much More Rapid Climate Change
Euro/EU Collapse
US Disengagement

I think we are in for worse than a normal recession:

I doubt, personally, the US is going to disengage. You don't increase your army massively to, then, not use it.

I agree with you we are in for more than a recession. I think we are facing extinction.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
So I think on the 25th of October the party congress in the PROC comes to an end, and presumably the premier will feel secure in his position, so that he can get to start a controlled demolition of the Chinese financial system. Or simple stop pretending that everything's peach. And I think that's when we should grab a drink, sit back and watch the fireworks.

How off-mark do you people think I am?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I think you are right. What was I thinking? I must have been coming down with an optimism.

• Locked thread