Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

readingatwork posted:

I'm not following this logic. How would adding more apartments (even lovely overpriced ones) make the rent on other more expensive properties go up? You'd think the opposite would happen because of increased competition and lower demand.

A few years ago I did some research for a home builder to find out what was going on in the world of renting so they could target them better. Even though more apartments were being built than in the last ten years, and people were making roughly 12-15% less than they were a few years prior across the board, rent was going up at a rate of like 30% per year. Granted this was in the DC suburbs, but it's still a high cost of living up there. If landlords get a hint of people needing/wanting to rent more they will gently caress everyone over collectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

tsa posted:

We have some ways to go and definitely need some new legislation but no it's not a time bomb in any sort of sense.

I don't know a single person in the world of real estate or new home construction (the fields I work in) that isn't looking at student loans as anything but a time bomb. Lenders are already seeing it all over the place and when more and more people aren't able to get lines of credit because they're already maxed out because of school, that snowballs into pretty much everything. Even people with decent jobs after they graduate have a shitload of debt that's cutting deep into their income every month.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

shrike82 posted:

Yah but as we've seen those pitchforks end up being pointed towards ethnic minorities and other disenfranchised classes, not the plutocrats.

no but you see all those mean poors FORCED those banks to become over leveraged with bad mortgages because bill clinton made them buy all those houses :qq:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

By these metrics saved 1.2 million jobs with the auto bailout.

We (America) also made money through financing the deal that bailed them out so not only did he save those jobs, he turned a profit.

• Locked thread