Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Freezer posted:

While I agree with the general gist of the article the Chinese did create some spectacular asset bubbles of their own, on par with any that the west has created, but with way less accountability. And Chinese money is inflating bubbles elsewhere, contributing to the mess.

It's also useful to compare how much new growth has been created by China per annum (as opposed to the share it occupies globally) -- so much of the global post-recession recovery was driven by Chinese growth, as opposed to, say, European or emerging market growth. As such, a slowdown in China puts a firm dent in the global economy's "recovery."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

SavageGentleman posted:

With global exports contracting hard over the last months and the baltic dry index in free fall, global manufacturing really looks like poo poo. Any economists here that could shed some light on the connection between such symptoms and a possible global crash?

I dunno. This dude says the BDI isn't that big of a deal -- shipping is just getting cheaper, but trading volumes have held.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2016/02/09/whatever-the-baltic-dry-index-says-global-trade-is-not-collapsing/#7c2e38eb7cd2

The only other thing I found about the BDI was Lew Rockwell stuff, but I don't know enough on whether to trust the Gorbes article I posted.

• Locked thread