Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Helsing posted:

In theory why couldn't we have a society where most people live in favelas, scraping whatever meagre income they can get from black / grey market activity, while an ultra wealthy few live in hyper automated gated communities? That kind of society could conceivably continue to progress economically and technologically while just sort of leaving a large portion of humanity in the dust.

One hopes such a situation would be politically unsustainable but economically I don't see why it couldn't function adequately.

You've come quite close to describing the Victorian era, which we rapidly seem to be regressing to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Constitutionally speaking most of them actually aren't. The UK is probably as old or older depending on when exactly you consider its 'constitution' and the modern system of Westminster parliamentary government established, but not by very much. The institution of Prime Minister only existed since the mid 1700s, and the concepts of a an institutionalized system of government vs opposition in parliament, and the modern electoral system only since the 1830s.

Firstly, I'm not sure why you think the Great Reform Act established a 'modern electoral system' and the one before it was somehow wildly different. It's not nearly as Great as you think. Secondly, this is a bit of a slippery slope. Does the US lose constitutional continuity every time it passes an Amendment? Immediately-post-establishment US had a pretty different electoral system to now (only rich white men get to vote, the Senate was not directly elected), but despite the system being different we don't claim it's a different government.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

If you take the establishment of the office of prime minister the UK is older, but only by a few decades. Every other major European country is younger

Why would you go with the office of prime minister? That's a really, really weird thing to look at and say 'oh hey the UK is modern now', it wasn't even an official post for decades, and early on the King had way more input into his government's policy prime minister or not. The Glorious Revolution would be a much better point since it pinned down the whole 'constitutional monarchy' thing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Probably. Real estate is a bubble again. Everybody wants the price of their land to go higher and higher all the time and people are opposing high-density development to drive their home values up.

Trouble is, when the housing market does crash a lot of people will just deny reality and refuse to sell rather than allow their homes to ~drop in value~. It's not like most people (baby boomers/retirees especially) need to move house so they can just hang on indefinitely.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Then when pappap dies and the kids have to figure out what to do with the house...then what?

Then it'll get interesting, but the boomers aren't yet at the stage where they're all rapidly dying off. Give it a decade or so and that could trigger a fall in house prices, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cost of my wife's root canal in the US, if she'd gotten it taken care of while we were over there: $1000.

Cost of my wife's root canal on the NHS in the UK, once we got back: about $40.

• Locked thread