Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
PS basically all of Korea's Chaebols started either as SoEs or with heavy state subsidization because they couldn't find private investors anywhere to front them the funds to get off the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Private Speech posted:

Could you provide some citations for that? Particularly the part about comparative advantage, and lack of skill advancement due to foreign influence. Not that I don't believe you, I'm both curious and eager to find out more. I've read some of his writing for what it's worth.

As to the second part of your post, some of it I definitely agree with (the IP bit in particular is a common feature of industrialisation success stories, for obvious reasons). But it also would seem to put nations into very antagonistic positions against each other, which I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with as a recipe for the whole world. It might be fine for one country as long as others allow themselves to act as consumer markets for their exports, but it wouldn't seem to work if everyone did it.

I also don't see how your last point follows from your premises, it seems more like an off-the-cuff comment about the US and Japan. I'm not sure, however you choose to describe those countries, you can argue they lack worker skills, education, IP, capital or technology, and those are the places where automation happens the most (and in fact particularly because they have the technology to make it feasible, and because the wages are high enough to make it economical).

The idea that Comparative Advantage maintains the status quo goes all the way back to Ricardo himself

e: if you read Ricardo it's clear that the concept of Comparative Advantage is descriptive rather than prescriptive

rscott fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 21, 2017

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Not the president of the united states of america, that's for sure!

e: I mean I bet the band does read books but the guy holding the office doesn't read

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

shrike1682 posted:

I know we have to do this song and dance every couple months but yes, the average Irish/Scot is better off today than (s)he was as a peasant historically. Saying otherwise smacks of first world privilege.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

wateroverfire posted:

It really depends? A 1% inflation-adjusted return isn't unreasonable depending on the risk of the portfolio and the goals of the investor. Though obviously you'd take a 6% inflation-adjusted return for the same risk if you got to choose. :spergin:

What is the important point to you, I guess? The very rich won really big compared to the relatively poor over the period we're looking at. But that's a relative comparison. In absolute terms the relatively poor have won as well. A 39% real increase in purchasing power is nothing to sneeze at - that's a real improvement in standards of living. Why is the increase in inequality a more important point than the improvement of living standards for everyone?

If you contrast it to the previous 34 years where incomes in that percentile range doubled it doesn't seem so relatively great

• Locked thread