Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This is end stage capitalism as predicted. The same highs and lows we have always had, except the cycle is faster and the high is a little less higher and the lows are a little lower each time.

Now I'm not necessarily knocking capitalism here. Death is certain regardless of your socio-economic system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If the people that run things won't reform the economic system and insist on inflating bubbles, I at least hope we can inflate something useful like space or alternative energy sectors instead of goddamn housing again.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like globalization is being used as a catch all for the modern era consumer economy. When people talk about globalization loving everything up, I think they mean that everything was going better 1940-1985, then from the late 80's onward we hosed up somehow. Everyone seems to take an all or nothing approach, as if you either support globalization or you want to dismantle the consumer economy. Obviously the world was connected an goods flowed between countries before the 80's and 90's. The changes that were made were done on purpose to allow multinationals to get around the pesky labor and environmental laws of 1st world countries by moving production offshore. If China protected its environment and treated its workers like human beings the way Europe and to a lesser extent the US do, their would be no advantage to manufacturing US or European goods in China.

Presumably Mexico and China for example will eventually have a standard of living and pay comparable to the US and Europe. After that we can exploit cheap labor in India, Vietnam, ect ect, until they are raised up. Where does it end? What is capitalisms plan when there are no more hell holes that will allow their environment and people to be exploited?

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Companies moving operations out of China into the poorer Southeast Asian countries to save money has been going on for years now

Yes, I know this. And as those countries become the new "China" for lack of a better way to put it, the companies will move again, until there is nowhere with slave labor to move to. Please read peoples posts fully before mashing your face into your keyboard.

• Locked thread