Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

OK so this example is imperfect but what about countries with high marginal rate schemes like the Nordics?

Man we have one of the fastest privatizing markets in the world with sky-rocketing income inequality. Not even Cameron's UK went liberal enough to privatize the public school system but Sweden went there anyway. Our pendulum just swung a little further left before it turned in the 80's which is why we are still lagging behind the rest of the word. But do not mistake that for the pendulum not turning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

No we don't. Our income taxes are anything but flat. Now capital taxes on the other hand...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

uncop posted:

Are there tax deductions on the bottom end that heavily change it from the numbers listed on the internet? On paper, nordic-style progression looks very different from, say, US-style.

Specify which country and which numbers you are thinking of and I'll answer you.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The rich also probably make a lot of their money on investments, capital gains, stocks, and so forth. That stuff ends up at a lower tax rate than wages and there are all sorts of rich person fuckery they can get up to to avoid paying taxes on it. Wage earners have to deal with withholding. Dividend earners do not. Meanwhile there are ways to reinvest money that makes it tax-free so a rich person can avoid paying taxes on a lot of their income until they feel like it.

Add to this that capital gains taxes are always flat and you have a real juicy situation. Your money, which can work for you day and night without abandon in productive investments whether you have 1 dollar or a billion is taxed according to a flat rate. Your work, of which you have a finite amount of is taxed progressively. This discrepancy, without even getting into tax planing and tax fraud is a big problem. With many western countries simultaneously abandoning wealth tax, property tax and inheritance taxes (or supplanting them with generous deductions) it's not difficult to figure out how wealth inequality is rising so rapidly.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think he would have imposed tariffs already if he could. Like the immigration band its one of his election promises and its weird that its been stalling from any kind of implementation this long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It all stems from the fact that it is difficult to build up speculatory bubbles without having wealth inequality in the first place. All that capital going into speculation has to be borrowed from somewhere.

• Locked thread