Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So question, in this thread's first post there's a video from Mark Blyth. He says that the reason the market is doing so well after the GFC is because that's the only place to put money to get a return better than inflation, and because that creates more scarcity of stock, it's simple Econ 101 that the market goes up.

Does this mean that the current market is an inflated asset bubble that has to pop at some point? Or can it continue to rise even if other avenues for investment (like real estate or commodities) open up again as sensible places to put money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Well, I was hoping it was rising due to the "fundamentals" that people always talk about. Like our productivity has increased and is compounding so that's leading to awesome gains. As opposed to it being out of a sense of desperation to somehow beat inflation.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Dawncloack posted:

So I think on the 25th of October the party congress in the PROC comes to an end, and presumably the premier will feel secure in his position, so that he can get to start a controlled demolition of the Chinese financial system. Or simple stop pretending that everything's peach. And I think that's when we should grab a drink, sit back and watch the fireworks.

How off-mark do you people think I am?

No, they're going to continue to pretend everything's fine until something terrible happens that doesn't let them pretend everything's fine, just like every other world leader.

• Locked thread