Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Has inequality and income disparity been mentioned by anyone major at Davos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
So is tech collapsing now too?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Hoping for some really great heists and heist movies to come outta this

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Xae posted:

The biggest problem with Obama care is that too many people are still on Employer based plans. Killing them is the first step towards fixing the system.

Is this some sort of 'make it so miserable for everyone that there's a massive push for UHC' accelerationist plan?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Been catching up with this thread and liberals justifying themselves out of concern for the plight of third world workers is really heartwarming :) When do we get to see the great liberal fight for better working conditions, safety standards, collective bargaining and pay for said workers with the same vigor that they've pursued investor rights and privatization?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

SickZip posted:

Russia was rapidly industrializing pre-revolution as well. Progress was sharply knocked back by the Civil War but it wasnt the complete backwater portrayed by pro-communists

Russia sucked rear end and the bolsheviks made it great again.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

Aren't modern corporations' internal structures effectively command economies in miniature? When I worked in industry, we didn't have competing QA departments bidding on contracts from competing production lines. This isn't a rhetorical flourish, I'm genuinely curious about what distinctions there are that make even large corporate command structures feasible but national command structures infeasible.

The distinction is that corporate command structures theoretically face competition from other corporate command structures and the most efficient ones win out.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Couldn't find a more appropriate thread for it, but Puerto Rico has declared bankruptcy:

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN17Z1UC

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

cheese posted:

Puerto Rico has been special-hosed for years now. John Oliver even did a full length segment on it last year on Last Week Tonight.

That clip didn't really go through the exact circumstances of the debt though - was there anything similar to the financial crisis where relatively manageable debt was ballooned up into something massive using hosed up financial instruments?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Is there going to be some kind of blowup caused by QE leading to people chasing riskier and riskier poo poo for yields?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-11/junk-fever-hits-new-high-as-tajikistan-narrows-bond-sale-spread

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukraine-eurobonds/ukraine-raises-3-billion-with-first-bond-since-debt-restructured-idUSKCN1BT19T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I think you'd have to be massively out of touch or flat out lying to try to argue away the current issues with inequality in the US (increasing debt requirements for housing, transport, education, medical expenses + job insecurity, working multiple jobs, zero benefit variable pay employment in the ""gig economy"", the list goes on and on).

• Locked thread