Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

Anubis posted:

The ecological disaster that the wall would produce is just a fun super bonus too!

Hey now those land management processes to link up isolated habitats to create continuous corridors so as to promote sustainable ecological sanctuaries, a process that's soaked up more than $80mm and exceeding 90,000 acres of aggregation - spanning both countries - is the exact kinda hippie talk that's Making America Not Drastically Improved Nor Greatly Optimized. Trump will fix these MANDINGO problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012
I have no idea how anyone could stand living in a "pod"style hostel, or living in a living-room shed, for any kind of extended period. I really don't understand how it's associated with living a "less tied down lifestyle," and I especially don't understand how it automatically translates to enabling people to be able to have the time and connections to "work on their startup."

Forget the loving buzzwords.

This is basically people living in living conditions below that of an average dorm room at a state university.. At least in a dorm you'll have only 1-2 roommates, an actual desk, storage space, and access to a space within a short distance that's guaranteed to be at least passably quiet (study rooms). But this is even worse because at $900 per month for that "pod" housing in Los Angeles you're paying more for housing than students would at the cheapest housing option at UCLA where you'd get a bedroom in an apartment to yourself.

I mean I realize that housing at UCLA isn't available for everyone, but I'm just providing some perspective on this bullshit. We're effectively pushing people into the economy, giving them poo poo pay, giving them worse housing situations than the "freshman experience" dorms that most people view in America as some kind of right of passage that's looked back on as a bad experience but you're better off for it, and then browbeaten about how dare they not bootstrap themselves into being middle class.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

It's a response to understanding that they can't afford to rent a decent place, own a home, spend money on "things," and generally participate in buying like has been the case for 60+ years.

I'm all for "buying less things" and conscious consumerism (to the degree that sort of thing is really possible), but a movement to tiny homes/residences/mobile living is born from low wages, and nothing else. There have always been people that want to live like that, but it's not because they had to. The number of people doing it now, they're doing it because they have to.

Jacobin had a nice piece about this a while back: https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/01/tiny-house-movement-nation-tumbleweed-environment-consumerism/

There's a big difference between putting a tiny house up on a piece of land somewhere, or buying a tiny apartment that's been optimized with fancy multi-purpose shape-shifting furniture...and living in a "pod" that costs $900 a month to feel connected to buzzwords.

At some point reality has to come home to roost that you can't afford to live in that place anymore. That LA, San Fran, Boston, NYC, Miami, and others are just not places someone has any hope of bootstrapping anymore. This "pod" thing especially underscores this as they push the concept that the beds become desks during the day...which means these people are independent contractors working online. They could be doing that anywhere they had reliable high-speed internet access.

Because while they may not be the "cool" place we all dreamed of living in when we, and others, grew up. I know when I was sitting in a town no one has ever heard of in school looking at posters on the wall of fancy houses and cars that basically boiled down to "don't be stupid, don't do drugs, and study hard = becoming rich" that we didn't dream of living in some suburb no one has ever heard of in a n average house with an average car eating average food cooked in an average kitchen...but that's the poo poo sandwich reality dealt us regardless of how well we did educationally and/or how clean we kept our noses.

If people want to embrace the individualist "frontier" ownership mindset while lacking a means of extracting surplus value from others - indeed finding themselves mostly on the losing end of the surplus value equation - then maybe dropping $900 on a "pod" to be able to feel connected to some pop-culture buzzwords is no better than a drug addiction in terms not only of financial stability, but of mental health, and in the long run the ability to rage against the machine that hosed you into that position to begin with.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

on the left posted:

In San Francisco though, it's probably very likely that there's a huuuuge shortage of occupiable rooms compared to the number of people who want to live in San Francisco. No single entity is making San Francisco expensive except for the individual snowflakes who are convinced they play no part in the blizzard.

And there's the very obvious FYGM issue shown by regulations on things like height.

A very compact X axis, and land owners who more or less don't want things to change beyond the intro of Full House, and thus the Y axis ends up limited to something like 8 floors. So even if you managed to somehow buy a ton of property you can't really build it out to the point that would make it usable and cost-sustainable.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

I think the best part about this is that the sign isn't even posted in some flamboyant way as if pricing starting at $1mil is really just the sort of cheap ad.

Checked the company's website and their starting units are 1547 sqft, 3bd, 2b and are about 3 blocks from SF State.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012
So the unemployment numbers just jumped back up to basically where we were in January because March and April job gains were drastically reduced down while May was drastically below expectations as well, but that's apparently no big deal according to "experts".

So go shopping everyone!

Crashrat fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

BrandorKP posted:

It was interesting watch the dollar get stronger from the end of 2014 to the end of 2015. People flipping their poo poo about needing bills of lading for bulk cargoes to be issued before day X. My suspicion was that they had swaps expiring. Welp, that doesnt move the trains or stop the rain.

Can you explain the nexus between the bills of lading for bulk cargo and the exchange value of the USD? Just something non-wonkish so I can learn more about this.

• Locked thread