Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So Recession and fascism is on the rise throughout europe and most of the west. Welp

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Junior G-man posted:

Woah can you resize that?

And it's not necessarily fascism that follows recession. Although traditionally speaking, closed borders and pointing fingers at 'other' people has been really popular.

To be frank, I don't even know what would happen to the European social democratic model; it could go hard left, hard right, or mutate into something else entirely.

Not to say that fascism is a direct result of receding economies. However fascism has been on the rise recently and that will definitely affect Europe in conjunction with a receding economy and austerity death spirals the recovery process

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Are we going to see even more countries thrown into an Austerity death spiral because of this economic climate? Greece's issues are resurging as austerityXXX takes its toll as well as the possibility of a brexit. This could be the last hurrah of the EU.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

MikeCrotch posted:

Any kind of European economic crash that affects Britain is going to make things very interesting for the tories in the UK. They have bet the horse on being better economically than the Labour opposition, having a 'Long Term Economic Plan' (now slowly being replaced with 'gently caress Off Brown People) and that austerity will cure Britain's ills. A crash would almost certainly be a huge blow to the tories but whether people start flocking to Labour or just blame it all on Europe and back UKIP will remain to be seen.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

ToxicSlurpee posted:

When China has its coming implosion and damages the world economy expect to hear a bit of "we need a world government to make sure this doesn't happen, people are literally dying because of greed" and a cacophony of "PROTECTIVE TARIFFS!!! ISOLATIONISM!!! TRADE IS BAD!!! GLOBALIZATION IS AWFUL!!! XENOPHOBIA HATE HATE HATE THE CHINESE ARE AWFUL AND DID THIS ON PURPOSE ALSO IRAN IS INVOLVED SOMEHOW!!!" Meanwhile those 62 people that effectively own everything are going to mysteriously and suddenly own more while money they touched just happens to find its way into the pockets of people that find reasons to justify austerity.

Jeb! 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

His 2015 Glasgow Lecture was pretty spot in in terms of explaining greece and other potential death spirals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6vV8_uQmxs

You borrow at one
You buy at ten
You use the spread
To bury the dead
You bank it at four
And repo more
And then go knock
On the ECB's door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Baxta posted:

Australian banks are over-leveraged, our mining boom is over and successive governments have stopped all attempts at renewable energy (to support the biggest political donors, the oil and coal industries). House prices are some of the least affordable in the world.

We escaped relatively unscathed after the 2008 crisis but this was due to our mining sector generating massive gains. We have nothing to buffer ourselves this time around.

A massive amount of people have something like 20 - 30% of their superannuation funds stuck in commodities which is exactly what happened last time around (although a lot of people were 100% in property last time).

In short, we will be pretty hosed.

Australia, the first country on the War on Coal's butcher bill.

• Locked thread